• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Lazarus Sleepeth

Guest Patrick Price

Guest Patrick Price

"Too be absent from the body is to be present with the lord"

However when Lazarus was brought back to life, why did he not describe how heaven was? and tell everyone what he saw ? Does this prove soul sleep? 

Ecclesiastes 9:5 the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

• Members

Hi Patrick.

First, I think it's important to point out that Lazarus didn't go to heaven; he would have gone to Abraham's bosom...which was in the center of the earth. You may be familiar with the account of the rich man and Lazarus (the beggar)? When both died, the rich man went to hell, and Lazarus went to Abraham's bosom...which were separated by a great gulf.

It was only after the resurrection of Christ that people who were saved went to heaven.

Next, I think it's important to point out that we don't know whether Lazarus described his experience to others or not. The Holy Spirit has given us all of the account that he wants us to know. Always remember that just because something isn't recorded in God's word, that doesn't mean something did or didn't happen.

However, we do have a description of what Lazarus would have experienced in the account of the rich man and Lazarus (the beggar).

Finally, I think it's VERY important to point out that God would never contradict himself. If one verse claims a specific thing, but another verse "seems" to say something different, then it requires more study.

I think the answer to your question regarding Ecclesiastes 9:5 is found in the very next verse...

5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any [thing] that is done under the sun.

Basically, it's saying that those who die unsaved will no longer have any knowledge of what goes on in this world any longer.

So no...I would say that it doesn't prove soul-sleep.

Take care!

• Members
2 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Next, I think it's important to point out that we don't know whether Lazarus described his experience to others or not. The Holy Spirit has given us all of the account that he wants us to know. Always remember that just because something isn't recorded in God's word, that doesn't mean something did or didn't happen.

Very profound and one of the keys of learning the scriptures. What God has not told us is for our good just as much as what God has told us is for our good. 

• Members

John 12

9  Much people of the Jews therefore knew that he was there: and they came not for Jesus' sake only, but that they might see Lazarus also, whom he had raised from the dead.

10  But the chief priests consulted that they might put Lazarus also to death;

11  Because that by reason of him many of the Jews went away, and believed on Jesus.

We don't have a record of what Lazarus said when he was raised back to life, but he said enough to people that they knew Jesus brought him back - because many believed on Jesus because of his testimony.

He obviously thought it better to talk of Jesus Christ than of Heaven.