• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Revelation

Guest Kate

Revelation 21:8(KJV) at the start it says "But the Fearful". I thought you were supposed to fear god and tremble, sometimes I get scared and have anxiety ? Can someone explain ? 

• Members

Context is always helpful.

Rev 21:4-8
(4)  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
(5)  And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
(6)  And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
(7)  He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
(8)  But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Note in the first place that God shall wipe away all tears, etc.

That is because (in vs 5) God makes all things new.

In vs 6 it tells us that the way that God makes all things new is to give to "them that thirst, the water of life".

In various places it explains what the water of life is:

Joh 4:13-14
(13)  Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
(14)  But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

So vs 8 is talking of those who HAVE NOT BEEN CHANGED by the water of life, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Further to that, if we look at the last part of the previous chapter we see:

Rev 20:15
(15)  And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Vs 8 is not talking about daily fears, nor about the fear of the Lord, but is talking about those who have not been changed by trusting in the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, and are therefore still judged to be in sin of various sorts.

By the way, what is your understanding of salvation and Jesus Christ?

It is a simple thing to be saved:

Rom 10:9-10
(9)  That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
(10)  For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

If you want to see some more verses or if you would like some explanation, various here will be happy to help.

• Members

Revelation 21:8 refers to those who feared to put their trust in God. It does not mean everyone who has a feeling of fear. Those who trust in God for all things will be given courage to follow him even in times they are afraid to do so. If we fear God more than man then we will not be afraid to put our trust and faith in God.

Psalm 40:1-4 I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. 2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. 3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord. 4 Blessed is that man that maketh the Lord his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.

Revelation 19:5 And a voice came out of the throne, saying, Praise our God, all ye his servants, and ye that fear him, both small and great.

Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

2 Corinthians 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.