• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bible/New Testament

Guest James

Guest James

The New Testament was written by the apostles while they were being moved by the Holy Spirit.

My Question is, why is the Bible not written in first person but more like 3rd person. For example when reading Mark and Matthew the apostles don't use words like "I" or "we". Since the apostles were with Jesus why it is not written from a witness point of view?

Hope that makes sense what I mean .....

• Members

Actually, you may have missed them, but they are there.

Mat_8:25  And his disciples came to him, and awoke him, saying, Lord, save us: we perish.

When they were in the boat in the storm.

Mat_14:17  And they say unto him, We have here but five loaves, and two fishes.

Mat_15:33  And his disciples say unto him, Whence should we have so much bread in the wilderness, as to fill so great a multitude?

Mat_16:7  And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have taken no bread.

Mat_17:19  Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?

Mat_19:27  Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?

Mat_20:22  But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.

Mat_26:17  Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?

Mar_4:38  And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?

Mar_6:37  He answered and said unto them, Give ye them to eat. And they say unto him, Shall we go and buy two hundred pennyworth of bread, and give them to eat?

Mar_8:16  And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have no bread.

Mar_9:28  And when he was come into the house, his disciples asked him privately, Why could not we cast him out?

Mar_9:38  And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.

Mar_10:28  Then Peter began to say unto him, Lo, we have left all, and have followed thee.

Mar_10:35  And James and John, the sons of Zebedee, come unto him, saying, Master, we would that thou shouldest do for us whatsoever we shall desire. (and vs 37 and 39)

Mar_14:12  And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?

This is only a simple search of Matthew and Mark (as they were the ones that you specifically mentioned), and as you can see there are a multitude of times that the Disciples said "We".

I hope that has answered your question?