• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is writing fiction a sin?

• Members
3 hours ago, Corinne said:

Guys, I'm learning something new. I honestly had no clue that watching some movies can be sinful, I thought it wasn't that dangerous given that I would never do what those people do in movies. I thought it's just pure, harmless entertainment. But now I kinda worry over spending hours enjoying this sort of thing (btw I watch thrillers, psychological stuff, nothing gory but still I do enjoy violence in movies which is a concern).

As for fiction, I have a huge soft spot for romance, to be honest. Nothing explicit though, I find that disgusting but I love the soft romance type too much. 

Well, some people say that it is, and I feel like it is, but I don't know whether that's because of The Holy Spirit's conviction or due to my obsessive-compulsive disorder's symptoms.

• Members

Even Paul struggled with his flesh, knowing what was right but not doing it or knowing something was wrong and doing it anyway. Everyone has these struggles.

Romans 7:19-25 "For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin."

If you are struggling to know whether something is wrong or not, you're going to get all sorts of answers from people. Some answers are very simple but others, such as this topic, can be complicated or controversial. You need to pray and ask God to guide you and show you what you should/should not read or watch.

James 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."

James 4:17 "Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin."

Philippians 4:8- "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

If you're struggling with whether or not something is sinful, stop doing it until you have peace about continuing or stopping for good. There are some people that are convicted to never watch any TV of any kind . There are some people who are convicted just about certain types of shows or books and follow the leading of the Holy Spirit to know if the movie/tv show/book/magazine is sinful and should be avoided. Neither viewpoint is wrong, both have convictions about not setting sinful sights in front of their eyes, they just have gone about this in different ways. 

I Corinthians 2:12-14 "Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

• Members

That video does point out a couple of good principles. I am not of the opinion that all movies and tv are wrong - I believe each movie/type of movie should be gauged by the content in it. There are some clean movies - maybe not a lot - especially depending upon theme and who is acting in it or directing it. Unfortunately, there was another law passed last year that allowed mainstream tv shows to allow graphic swearing on regular tv, so shows that seemed relatively decent before now are not so “clean”.

On another note, weird how whatever Bible version he quoted states that the last days will “stressful” - not quite the same thing as “perilous.”

Be careful, he also made a statement that if they want to enter the kingdom of God (and be prepared for the rapture) they need to stop watching movies. That could very well indicate he believes in a salvation that is based on works (unless he is just being unclear in his speach).

• Members
6 hours ago, Rebecca said:

If you're struggling with whether or not something is sinful, stop doing it until you have peace about continuing or stopping for good.

I know that you meant to offer that advice with good intentions, sister, but it is not really that helpful for someone who struggles with scrupulosity. If they applied that advice, they would stop doing over 50% of their activities and spend most of their days in constant worry. ?

• Members

I have never heard of that term - but I could understand the concept. I have/am? ocd to some extent, but not to an extreme. Probably the best thing to do is to keep looking for Scriptural principles and promises dealing with whatever you are concerned about (especially if the Holy Spirit is putting something on your heart), apply the principles as best as you understand them (praying for wisdom), and trust the Lord to give you His peace as you obey, and His mercy and grace when you have failed or think you have failed.

• Members

I was speaking broadly concerning movies/books only. Excessive worrying is another topic. I'm not a medical doctor or a psychologist, so I'm not even going to try to touch on the OCD side of things. I'm just an average Christian answering questions and giving opinions on how the average Christian should approach things -in this case fictional stories- they come across in the light of the Bible.

2 Timothy 1:7 - "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Edited by Rebecca
removed opinion

• Members

The bible uses fiction to convey meaning all the time. In particular with it's use of Parables. Fiction is not a problem but what is being conveyed is important to consider. 

Parable

PAR'ABLE, noun [Latin parabilis.] Easily procured. [Not used.]

PAR'ABLE, noun [Latin parabola; Gr. to throw forward or against, to compare to or against; as in confero, collatum, to set together, or one thing with another.] A fable or allegorical relation or representation of something real in life or nature, from which a moral is drawn for instruction; such as the parable of the trees choosing a king, Judges 9:1; the parable of the poor man and his lamb. 2 Samuel 12:1; the parable of the ten virgins, Matthew 25:1.

PAR'ABLE, verb transitive To represent by fiction or fable.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 3/16/2019 at 2:01 PM, John Young said:

Fiction is not a problem but what is being conveyed is important to consider. 

Only what is being conveyed or also how it is being conveyed? For example, is describing the sinful aspects in a lot of details within a novel that has a moralistic ending a sin? When Jesus told the story of the prodigal son, He just briefly mentioned that the son had "squandered his wealth in wild living". He never mentions what the "wild living" consisted of. Should writers follow Jesus' example and keep the descriptions of the sinful events to a minimum? ?

• Members

It can be described well enough to be understood what it is and that it is sinful and why and how the character got involved in it but it not to do so in order to give pleasure or delight from its description. Remember also, even the law of God is pure and holy but to condemn sin it needed to give examples of sin. It is not wrong and it is even helpful sometimes to describe it. Sadly many will take the warning and use it to teach them how to sin. Yet that is not the fault of the Law but the evil manifestation of the Law breaker.

Romans 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.