• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Qualifications for Missionaries

• Members

Do you believe that a missionary needs to meet the qualifications listed in I Timothy 3 and Titus 1? If the missionary is not going to be a church planter but work in a support role (pilot, Bible institute instructor, etc) would that make a difference?

If a missionary was married to a divorced woman but had never been divorced himself how would you handle that? Would that disqualify him according to I Timothy 3 and Titus? If so how? Would the circumstances behind the wife's divorce matter?

• Administrators

Personally, I take these matters on an individual basis. If they are not pastoring a church, then I don't see where they have to fit pastoral qualifications. 

We have a friend who is a single lady, who is a missionary to Russia. She is not pastoring, or has any authority role in the church in russia, but teaches kids sunday school class and other things we would let our ladies do here in our local Church. She raised support and went, and I don't see a problem with that. If I would let them teach my Sunday School class here, then I would have no problem having then in the same role in another country.

• Moderators

I’ve heard of churches that won’t accept single ladies in deputation; they insist they must be married before becoming a missionary. That really bothers me. If God had called them to a ministry, and not provided them with a husband, who are they to require something God has not granted?

• Members
18 hours ago, Matt Souza said:

Personally, I take these matters on an individual basis. If they are not pastoring a church, then I don't see where they have to fit pastoral qualifications. 

We have a friend who is a single lady, who is a missionary to Russia. She is not pastoring, or has any authority role in the church in russia, but teaches kids sunday school class and other things we would let our ladies do here in our local Church. She raised support and went, and I don't see a problem with that. If I would let them teach my Sunday School class here, then I would have no problem having then in the same role in another country.

Thank you for your thoughts. So if a man in your church came to you and he desired to plant churches in Zimbabwe but he was married to a divorced woman how would you advise him? Would the circumstances of the divorce matter?

Edited by AdamL
Add last sentence