• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Oswald Chambers

• Members

Although I have done some Bible study, I have done very little in the line of reading about men of God or theologians. A new pastor acquaintance of mine just requested that i "Like" his Oswald Chambers page. I've heard the name before but don't have time to check this out. Maybe some of you will know:  who was Oswald Chambers and what type theology is he known for? Thanks

Edited by heartstrings

• Administrators

I know his father was a Baptist, in Scotland. And that he was saved under Spurgeon's preaching.

While he was Baptist, he was influenced by a few mystics of that day. He also got involved in the holiness movement. I found this article which I think explains things better than I can.  

https://cicministry.org/commentary/issue132.htm

• Members

I would suggest you read some of what he wrote carefully rather than rely on what people say about him.

What I have read appears far more conservative than he is normally represented.

Not that I am a huge fan.

Edited by DaveW

• Administrators

i would agree that it might be good to read him carefully. However, I do think it's important to know what a person believes before reading what they write. I have family involved in the Pentecostal/Holiness movement. Oft times we use the same terminology. But, believe me, we are not really talking about the same thing. 

Piety and surrender are both very important for the Christian. But neither truly comes about without a proper view of God's Word.

We do have My Utmost for His Highest. It's been a number of years since I read it, though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I know he is very popular, but I could never get into his writings or his daily devotional because I found him too dry for my tastes. Now give me Spurgeon or F B Meyer (Our Daily Homily) for devotionals and I am happy.