• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Becoming a better person

• Members

Besides immersing oneself in the Bible and spending more time in prayer, what are some other ways one can become a better Christian / better person?

I ask because I recently met some wonderful people and comparing my life to theirs has kind of shown me that I'm not truly living my life the way God would want me to. Some of my actions and words aren't necessarily bringing glory to God and I'd like that to change.

Any comments / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:~)

• Members

It is always a worthy ideal to become a better Christian. So often we let the secular world, and the religious world, to determine our life. It should be the goal of every saint to walk closer with the Lord daily by careful renewing of our mind, and heart, through  meditation in the scriptures.

A careful reading of Colossians 3:1-9 will show that the apostle Paul mentioned to put away the sins of the flesh, our old nature, or our old man and its sinful ways,  and then said, "And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him." Colossians 3:10

Edited by Alan
grammar

• Members

I listened to a pastor, who's actually the President of the Christian Law Association, preach at my church a few nights ago. He preached Psalms 1, particularly about the seat of the scornful. Brother, it changed my life. Literally. The Holy Spirit had been convicting me of my complaining and BOOM, Brother Gibbs preached on that. It may be available somewhere online too. 

• Members

Can I just make a small correction - unless I am mistaken Brother Gibbs is not a Pastor. A good preacher, and as far as I could tell a godly man, and does a great work with the Christian Law Association and has done so for many years, but not a Pastor.

A technicality (unless something has changed over the years since I met him, in which case I apologise), but one that he himself made at the meetings I went to.

But he has a way in his preaching of making issues of life very relatable. Actually many of his messages are really very simple, you just don't realise that when you are sitting there - and sometimes the simple stops us from getting clouded with too many thoughts and ideas. 

And to the brother who posed the original question - first, immerse yourself in the Bible, then make prayer a solid part of your life, after all:

Heb 4:12
(12)  For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

But sometimes we need an example to follow:

1Co 11:1
(1)  Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

This is Paul speaking and saying that he would serve as an example for other to follow, but his second phrase includes a proviso "even as I also as of Christ", which indicates that they could follow him AS HE FOLLOWED CHRIST.

Find a godly man to follow by example, AS THAT MAN FOLLOWS CHRIST.

Php 3:17
(17)  Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.

Paul again - not only him but there are others who walk the right way and are worth following (Again, as they follow Christ).

• Members
12 hours ago, illinois-baptist said:

Thank you for the replies. They're appreciated.

Suburban Chicagoland.

I live in the Southwest Suburbs and go to a great Bible believing and teaching church in Tinley Park. I invite you to come:

https://www.calvarybaptisttinley.com

For me,  my Church was instrumental in God changing me, and that is the way God intended for the Church to be. 

Please listen to this very short message about Church that I put out years ago for new and growing Christians:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Cyo2ykALwGd28zR3lYWldDaWM/view?usp=sharing

If you have a problem playing the file, just download it and it will play. 

https://www.wayoflife.org/reports/church_membership.html

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members
On 2/26/2019 at 9:39 PM, DaveW said:

Can I just make a small correction - unless I am mistaken Brother Gibbs is not a Pastor. A good preacher, and as far as I could tell a godly man, and does a great work with the Christian Law Association and has done so for many years, but not a Pastor.

A technicality (unless something has changed over the years since I met him, in which case I apologise), but one that he himself made at the meetings I went to.

But he has a way in his preaching of making issues of life very relatable. Actually many of his messages are really very simple, you just don't realise that when you are sitting there - and sometimes the simple stops us from getting clouded with too many thoughts and ideas. 

And to the brother who posed the original question - first, immerse yourself in the Bible, then make prayer a solid part of your life, after all:

Heb 4:12
(12)  For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

But sometimes we need an example to follow:

1Co 11:1
(1)  Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

This is Paul speaking and saying that he would serve as an example for other to follow, but his second phrase includes a proviso "even as I also as of Christ", which indicates that they could follow him AS HE FOLLOWED CHRIST.

Find a godly man to follow by example, AS THAT MAN FOLLOWS CHRIST.

Php 3:17
(17)  Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.

Paul again - not only him but there are others who walk the right way and are worth following (Again, as they follow Christ).

Brother, you are correct. He’s not a pastor. It definitely was a good message though. ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There is always a desire for me to act 'better' but it's difficult because of testing. When dealing with people who wanna cause harm or impact your life in a negative way, it's a real test to keep a positive outlook. I tend to become pessimistic. It's also hard not to retaliate in the same manner.

I'm too sensitive at the end of the day, even seeing people fight on the streets affect me. 

Anyway, I get strength through listening to preaching, spending time contemplating certain passages that can apply to my situation.

I'm grateful for American pastors, for giving everyone around the world the opportunity to hear the truth. I love to hear them speak, the US accent might mean nothing to you, but it's a great cure for depression. I'm trying to remember key points from listening to clips.

My plan is to advance more. Also I need to deal with my 'private' behavior, the one that matters most, the one that shows the real 'you'. For example, I would never insult or cuss anyone in public, but because of the high stress and living conditions, I've sometimes used bad words when alone, with nobody around, to let off 'steam'. I hate this because God is always watching.

I really admire older experienced believers  that were able to overcome struggles regarding different sins in their life.