• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Any Ubuntu Computer Users?

Alan

• Members

Linux Mint, and the different "flavors," all have their different advantages. I have two computers and one of them crashed and the repairman at the shop put Ubuntu 18.04 on it to get it going. 

Ubuntu is a basic Linux OS without many add-on's.  So, in order to keep the two computers very compatible I decided to have Ubuntu on both of them.

Edited by Alan
spelling

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes, I recently used Bionic Beaver also on a computer that said I had no OS. It's free downloads. Although I had to order a disk, since I could't open laptop. Worked fine. Definitely takes getting used to! I hate Windows 10 and have been trying to get my other 2 laptops to download back to Windows 7 or 8.1. 

• Members
On 3/5/2019 at 10:18 AM, Miss Daisy said:

Yes, I recently used Bionic Beaver also on a computer that said I had no OS. It's free downloads. Although I had to order a disk, since I could't open laptop. Worked fine. Definitely takes getting used to! I hate Windows 10 and have been trying to get my other 2 laptops to download back to Windows 7 or 8.1. 

Miss, or should I say, Mrs. Daisy,

I do hope that it goes well with you the Bionic Beaver OS. Ubuntu / Linux  does take some getting used to and there is a large learning curve. So, take it easy and do not get exasperated.

To my knowledge, once you download Windows 10 on a computer it will not download back to Windows 7 or 8.1.

Also, Invicta mentioned the linuxquestions.org forum. That is good advice. I am also a member of linuxquestions.org. My name on linuxquestions.org is 'greencedar.' I must caution you concerning Ubuntu / Linux. Most of the problems cannot be solved unless you know how to use to 'Terminal' and the coding. The 'terminal and 'coding' is hard to master at times. And, some times when you ask a question on linuxquestions.org some of the members expect you to know the 'terminal. and the 'coding' are may not be too charitable.

Either way. I do hope that it goes well with you and Linux / Ubuntu. A lot of folks are like you and are getting rid of Windows altogether.

Edited by Alan

• Members
3 hours ago, Alan said:

To my knowledge, once you download Windows 10 on a computer it will not download back to Windows 7 or 8.1.

There is a way - or at least used to be a way - to run Win 10 in windows 8 mode.

I don't know how because I love 10 and have no problems with it in any respect.

So if it is just the operating processes, you should be able to make it "pretend" to be win 8 or win 7 (maybe).

In the past I have had to use certain programs that Linux could not run natively, so I had to run them under a windows emulator, and it was never as smooth as just running under windows.

I actually liked ubuntu when I was running it, but it became inconvenient.

Now, my primary computer is the church one and I do not have the freedom to run whatever I like.

But as I said, I have no problems with win 10 and actually really like it.

• Members

There are some fine aspects with Windows 10. The installation process is much more efficient and the vast majority of software programs are geared for Windows. I do have my Asus laptop with Windows 7 on it. The main reason why I haven't changed it to Linux is that the web creator on Windows 7 is better than what I can get for Linux.

Linux / Ubuntu is making strides to have more reliable software and to be more user friendly. The Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver is more simple to use the the Linux Mint distributions. But, Linux Mint has some finer characteristics.

I do like the Chinese writing on the Linux / Ubuntu LibreOffice. Since the ability to write Chinese on my computer is foremost in my thoughts I am satisfied with Linux / Ubuntu.

The Linux /Ubuntu line of distributions (there are many kinds of Linux /Ubuntu OS's) have some favourable aspects that help out a lot of folks. One of the main reasons why I like it is  that it is much more secure than Windows and I have more control over the OS and my files, pictures, and any else I put on the computer. And, no more endless updates!!!! No more Microsoft taking over my computer!!!No more viruses!!!No more endless updates from the Anti-Virus software!!!

• Members
7 hours ago, Alan said:

There are some fine aspects with Windows 10. The installation process is much more efficient and the vast majority of software programs are geared for Windows. I do have my Asus laptop with Windows 7 on it. The main reason why I haven't changed it to Linux is that the web creator on Windows 7 is better than what I can get for Linux.

Linux / Ubuntu is making strides to have more reliable software and to be more user friendly. The Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver is more simple to use the the Linux Mint distributions. But, Linux Mint has some finer characteristics.

I do like the Chinese writing on the Linux / Ubuntu LibreOffice. Since the ability to write Chinese on my computer is foremost in my thoughts I am satisfied with Linux / Ubuntu.

The Linux /Ubuntu line of distributions (there are many kinds of Linux /Ubuntu OS's) have some favourable aspects that help out a lot of folks. One of the main reasons why I like it is  that it is much more secure than Windows and I have more control over the OS and my files, pictures, and any else I put on the computer. And, no more endless updates!!!! No more Microsoft taking over my computer!!!No more viruses!!!No more endless updates from the Anti-Virus software!!!

I was using  Lubuntu on a memory stick as my hard disk had failed but I got a new windows PC when many characters on the keyboard didn't work.  When I tried to install  McAfee on windows it would not install as it said I had a virus.  I had to let McAfee into  my compute4r to sort it out.  They said it had been infected from another an other computer by way of my router.  They looked at the Linux and said it was from that and they would clean it up.  

I had noticed only one promlem in the Linux and that was an ad blocker I Used that stopped working and said it had been compromised.and would not work.  I deleted it and reistalled it and then it worked fine.

Edited by Invicta

• Members

I ended up taking two laptops to be fixed by a professional. Thankfully, he downloaded Windows 7 on mine. My husband's already had Windows 7, but wasn't working either. He fixed them both. Now I don't even have to deal with Linux again. I remember using it about 11 years ago and had no problems with it then. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Members

Invicta, thanks for the info! Maybe that's what happened with mine. I'll never know but I'll never use a Linux system again until I get a programming degree.

ALSO, there's a great new search engine called DuckDuckGo that doesn't save and send your information like Chrome does. No ads pop up either. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members
On 3/5/2019 at 10:25 PM, Alan said:

Also, Invicta mentioned the linuxquestions.org forum. That is good advice. I am also a member of linuxquestions.org. My name on linuxquestions.org is 'greencedar.'

Here is the link to the the linuxquestions.org forum: https://www.linuxquestions.org/

My name of the Linux Questions forum is: greencedar

• Members
On 11/29/2019 at 2:44 PM, Alan said:

Here is the link to the the linuxquestions.org forum: https://www.linuxquestions.org/

My name of the Linux Questions forum is: greencedar

I can't remember what my user name is. 

We moved to Ashford over a year ago, and thankfully there is someone in our new Baptist Church who uses Linux.  He put Linux Mint and new hard disk on my old laptop and Updated Lubuntu on a memory stick that NN sent to me some time ago. For which I am thankfull to him.

Edited by Invicta