• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Questions

• Administrators

There is no Baptist Church in the singular sense. There are Baptist Churches (plural).

Each Baptist Church has its own government and method of running their church.

I can't speak for all baptists, but in general i would say "NO" they do not.

• Members
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

There is no Baptist Church in the singular sense. There are Baptist Churches (plural).

Each Baptist Church has its own government and method of running their church.

I can't speak for all baptists, but in general i would say "NO" they do not.

I don’t think each church is it’s own government in specific areas aren’t the churches run by a specific diocese lead by a bishop? Sorry I am getting conflicting information so pardon my lack of knowledge. The reason I ask these questions is because I was baptized Anglican and heard that the Anglican faith accepts these sinful actions and support them. I received an answer from the Toronto Anglican Church stating that this facts are true and I am thinking of converting to Baptist. I asked a local Baptist church the same questions but they said they want to meet in person to discuss not sure why they couldn’t reply over email.

• Members
5 minutes ago, Matthew0246 said:

Thank you for correcting me and excuse my use of terminology but do you have any actually feedback in regards to the questions asked?

I have very little to add to Jim's statement.

My point in making the correction is that as independent Baptists (individual and independent churches) we try to follow what the Bible says.

If you would like to read 1 Timothy 3:

1Ti 3:1-7
(1)  This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
(2)  A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
(3)  Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
(4)  One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
(5)  (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
(6)  Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
(7)  Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

I will point out to you that the term bishop is a biblical term, but not in the way the Catholic church uses it.

I will further point out to you that the term "husband" in vs 2 is specifically masculine in its meaning and application, thus prohibiting the appointing of women to the position of bishop, pastor, elder (the three interchangeable and biblical terms for a pastor), and further more the term "wife" in vs 2 is specifically feminine, thus restricting the partner of a bishop (pastor, elder) to being a woman.

I know that many groups try to change this passage to say "spouse of one spouse", but the language used absolutely does not allow it, therefore a Pastor, bishop, Elder, must be a man, and his spouse must be a woman.

The KJV uses those terms because they are gender specific and they accurately reflect the meaning behind the words.

Thus, according to the Bible, a woman cannot be a Pastor, and a member of a same sex couple cannot be a Pastor. In both cases they do not fit the biblically laid out qualifications.

The church you contacted probably does not want to put in writing something that could open them up to lawsuit by those who seek to damage Christianity. 

And no, Independent Baptist Churches are not ruled over by a governing body. We are individual separate churches, who on occasion will join together to fellowship with like minded churches, but we do not have any authority over one another.

• Administrators
On 2/14/2019 at 9:20 PM, Matthew0246 said:

I don’t think each church is it’s own government in specific areas aren’t the churches run by a specific diocese lead by a bishop? 

We as Independent Baptist, do not have any diocese that is led by anyone outside of that local church. Each local Independent Baptist church is exactly that, Independent. 

And in general, Baptists do not allow same sex marriages as it goes against what Scripture teaches. We love the people and would love to see them come to know Jesus Christ as their personal savior but have to stick with what Scripture teaches and this area is sin.

• Members
On 2/14/2019 at 9:28 PM, DaveW said:

I have very little to add to Jim's statement.

My point in making the correction is that as independent Baptists (individual and independent churches) we try to follow what the Bible says.

If you would like to read 1 Timothy 3:

1Ti 3:1-7
(1)  This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
(2)  A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
(3)  Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
(4)  One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
(5)  (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
(6)  Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
(7)  Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

I will point out to you that the term bishop is a biblical term, but not in the way the Catholic church uses it.

I will further point out to you that the term "husband" in vs 2 is specifically masculine in its meaning and application, thus prohibiting the appointing of women to the position of bishop, pastor, elder (the three interchangeable and biblical terms for a pastor), and further more the term "wife" in vs 2 is specifically feminine, thus restricting the partner of a bishop (pastor, elder) to being a woman.

I know that many groups try to change this passage to say "spouse of one spouse", but the language used absolutely does not allow it, therefore a Pastor, bishop, Elder, must be a man, and his spouse must be a woman.

The KJV uses those terms because they are gender specific and they accurately reflect the meaning behind the words.

Thus, according to the Bible, a woman cannot be a Pastor, and a member of a same sex couple cannot be a Pastor. In both cases they do not fit the biblically laid out qualifications.

The church you contacted probably does not want to put in writing something that could open them up to lawsuit by those who seek to damage Christianity. 

And no, Independent Baptist Churches are not ruled over by a governing body. We are individual separate churches, who on occasion will join together to fellowship with like minded churches, but we do not have any authority over one another.

Awesome explanation! Thank you so much for your explanation! I believe you are right about the church not wanting to have it in writing as well. Thank you so much for your great answer.