• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

After death sleep?

Guest Tej

Hi I have question when we die, do we go straight to heaven or sleep? Wait for the 2nd coming . The reason I ask is because of Matthew 9:23-24 it describes the girl not dead but sleeping . Same with lazerus , describes him as sleeping ?? 

• Members

"Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: (For we walk by faith, not by sight:) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord" (II Corinthians 5:6-8 KJV).

• Members

At the moment of death, the soul is separated from the body, whether lost or saved: see Genesis 35:16-20,  Luke 16:19-21, Philippians 1:21, 2 Corinthians 5:8 and 2 Timothy 4:6

The soul in hell will consciously experience pain, suffering and torment for his sins.

The soul in heaven will consciously experience pure love, joy, happiness and dwell with the Lord Jesus. Although the body of the Lord Jesus was dead after death, Ephesians 4:8-10 and Psalm 16:10, the soul of the Lord Jesus was conscious after death, so is the body of the righteous individual dead and buried but the soul is conscious.

In 1 Thessalonians 4:13-15 we read, "... even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For is we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him." God is not going to bring 'dead' bodies with Jesus when He comes in the skies, He is bringing the souls with him. Those souls are 'asleep' in Jesus in heaven waiting for the resurrection of the physical body in the grave.

The body of the girl in Matthew 9:23-24, and the body of Lazarus in  John 11, was dead but the soul was conscious.

Edited by Alan
grammar

• Members

John 11

11  These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.

12  Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.

13  Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.

14  Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

This passage shows that words were sometimes used interchangeably in the Bible, and even in this case the disciples mistook His meaning.

There is a false doctrine called "soul sleep" which is promoted by a few groups, usually those who reject the idea of Hell in preference for anihilationism (nothing after death, you cease to exist). This is an unbiblical false doctrine.

• Members

"For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you. And having this confidence, I know that I shall abide and continue with you all for your furtherance and joy of faith; That your rejoicing may be more abundant in Jesus Christ for me by my coming to you again" (Philippians 1:21-26 KJV).

• Members
6 hours ago, Guest Tej said:

Hi I have question when we die, do we go straight to heaven or sleep? Wait for the 2nd coming . The reason I ask is because of Matthew 9:23-24 it describes the girl not dead but sleeping . Same with lazerus , describes him as sleeping ?? 

When you see the word sleep in the Bible it's a euphemism/idiom for death, kinda like how when someone dies and we say they "passed away" or "kicked the bucket". 

• Members
3 minutes ago, Pastoriley1 said:

I would have to disagree with your thought on the word sleep and The Bible. It  Is not always a euphemism or idiom for death. As a matter fact in Matthew 9: 24  Jesus says .... 24He said unto them, Give place: for the maid is not DEAD , but SLEEPTH, And they laughed him to scorn.

Well, in this one scenario I believe Jesus chose to use the word sleep because he knew he was about to raise her from the dead therefore he described her as sleeping because he was going to "wake" her.  But typically sleep is just an idiomatic way of saying death. I did not say it always means that, because context and cultural usage defines the meaning of words and you can't force the meaning of it one context on all other contexts.

You can disagree with me if you want, but the Bible nowhere teaches the concept of soul sleep, only a metaphorical word in place of the word death in some cases. 

Edited by Jordan Kurecki