Jump to content
Online Baptist
  • Welcome Guest

    Registration is free and simple.

1Timothy115

Commentators - many are common taters

Recommended Posts

I'm doing a self dive into Revelation 6 and the first four seals. I decided to compare commentary from a favorite website "Studylight". So, I began with Clarkes and followed with Albert Barnes. It was toward the end of Barnes' commentary on the first seal I understood him to be preterist and amillennialistic. I won't toss out everything he comments on but I will watch him cautiously in the future.

Edited by 1Timothy115
Bad Press :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I touched on this in my daily devotional, Profiting From Proverbs, today where it says:

"I find it utterly amazing that most of the “higher critics” of the Bible are themselves unredeemed men that denied many of the essential doctrines of the Bible. How is it possible that men, devoid of the Holy Spirit, should assume the responsibility to correct and manipulate the Bible to fit into their theological system—when the primary requirement for even understanding John 3:16 is that very same Spirit Whom they know not of?"

Granted, men like Barnes knew the Lord--but they were sure shaky when it comes to dispensationalism and premillennialism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In deference of the old commentators, lets not forget that while many were saved, spirit filled believers and desired to comment as the Holy Ghost led. Yet, they were still a product of their time and influenced greatly by the both good theology (honest bible study of fellow brethren) and the dregs of bad theology (catholic false doctrines and various popular philosophy and traditions of men, etc) to which they had hoped to escape but were still influenced by. Much of the purity we have come to expect in our doctrine, they were still trying to refine, and I'm sure as we continue to rid ourselves of false theology, and if the Lord tarries, our future generations many look on us with similar eyes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I start with Genesis. If the Garden of Eden is presented as the mythological story of Adam and Eve, I pass. Then I look at Isaiah 7:14 and if the virgin birth is discounted as simply the story of a young woman of marrying age, I pass. I don't believe that they were all hopeless heretics, but I do pass on anything from the German school of rationalism. Actually, the older I get the more I am inclined just to read and believe my King James Bible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, John Young said:

 and if the Lord tarries, our future generations many look on us with similar eyes. 

Possibly and the Holy Spirit through God's word has a lot of work to do on me until the Lord comes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 4:29 AM, Baptist_Bible_Believer said:

I start with Genesis. If the Garden of Eden is presented as the mythological story of Adam and Eve, I pass. Then I look at Isaiah 7:14 and if the virgin birth is discounted as simply the story of a young woman of marrying age, I pass. I don't believe that they were all hopeless heretics, but I do pass on anything from the German school of rationalism. Actually, the older I get the more I am inclined just to read and believe my King James Bible.

I had not thought to look at Genesis first thanks. I do look at the Gospel of Jesus Christ as a reference toward a commentary's reliability. Until I found the difference of Barnes on preterist and amillennialism, I thought he was great although brief in many answers.

Edited by 1Timothy115

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may seem "picky" to some, but it needs to be said.

I am not going to get into commentators as such, but do want to point out a prerequisite for any Bible study. I have always taught that there are no words or phrases in any Bible study that are not important.

In that respect any Bible study MUST begin at the beginning and leave nothing out, it is all of importance. I am expressly speaking of the first post which said: "I'm doing a self dive into Revelations 6"  

The name of the last book of the Bible is: Revelation. Notice that the name is in the singular, not the plural. These are not revelations as in more than one, they are the revelation of Jesus Christ in the singular. Rev.1:1 Tells us that this is The revelation of Jesus Christ.

Please understand that I write, not to offend in any manner; but simply as a critical point in reference to proper Bible study and teaching. I almost cringe when I hear this book referred to as "Revelations" from the pulpit.

Apart from my criticism I hope you have a good study and are edified by it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:01 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

This may seem "picky" to some, but it needs to be said.

I am not going to get into commentators as such, but do want to point out a prerequisite for any Bible study. I have always taught that there are no words or phrases in any Bible study that are not important.

In that respect any Bible study MUST begin at the beginning and leave nothing out, it is all of importance. I am expressly speaking of the first post which said: "I'm doing a self dive into Revelations 6"  

The name of the last book of the Bible is: Revelation. Notice that the name is in the singular, not the plural. These are not revelations as in more than one, they are the revelation of Jesus Christ in the singular. Rev.1:1 Tells us that this is The revelation of Jesus Christ.

Please understand that I write, not to offend in any manner; but simply as a critical point in reference to proper Bible study and teaching. I almost cringe when I hear this book referred to as "Revelations" from the pulpit.

Apart from my criticism I hope you have a good study and are edified by it.

Yep, I've reacted the same way toward people who made this same error. Please forgive me for making the same mistake I've pointed out to others in the past. I will have a GREAT study of Revelation chapter 6. I've been interrupted from continuing that study by other studies in Matthews 7. 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 402 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...