• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repo

• Members

I am a bi-vocational pastor who is not sure I fit the qualifications of 1 Timothy 3 or Titus anymore. I make good money in my secular job. Long story short my wife, out of pure neglect and procrastination, let one of our vehicles get behind to the point of repossession without my knowledge until it was to late. There is plenty of money in the budget and there really was no reason. Now I feel hypocritical preaching God's Word. What should I do? I am torn apart inside. 

Edited by PastorJT

• Administrators

Although this has the capacity to hurt you and your ministry, I would advise that you not beat yourself up too much about this. I say this because, although you are responsible in the end, this is not your doing.

In my experience there may be two things you could do. One is to go directly to the lending company and explain the situation. Offer to fully catch up on the payments and to pay in a timely manner from now on. Normally lenders will react favorably to this and work with you. They don't want the car they want the money and need assurances.

The second thing you could do is to pay of the balance including back payments and late charges, even if you have to borrow from somewhere else to do it.

making this right and favorably resolving this matter will go a long way toward your state of mind as well as your qualifications. I am not sure what a bi-vocational pastor is, but if you have a senior pastor over you be sure to discuss this with him, especially as you work toward a remedy.

• Members

Hmmm - to me it is an oversight, not a deliberate matter.

How you handle it of course depends to some extent on the overall situation, but I would probably be inclined to make the matter known in a semi official way (not just word of mouth,  but maybe a meeting of nature members, or possibly even publically from the pulpit if you think that is more appropriate) and let people know that you are sorry for it.

Of course in some churches that is just giving fuel for someone to start a fire, so it may have to be handled more quietly, but the principles apply:

Matt 18

15  Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

16  But if he will not hear thee, thentake with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

17  And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

In your case it you yourself bringing yourself before two or three witnesses - or indeed before the church, whichever you deem necessary.

But I think you are right to be uncomfortable with the situation. Make it right by making yourself accountable to at least mature members. Maybe discuss with them if it needs to go before the church.

Note: I was writing this as Jim posted, and I agree with him about making it right with the company as well.