• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Church or Family of God

• Members

I am a Pastor of a very small flock of believers in a very small town in Western NC (Old Fort, NC). The building we have chosen to assemble in is named Brookside Missionary Baptist Church. The building was a school in the mid 1800's. There has not been an accurate historical record kept over the years. We as a congregation are not pedigreed as connected to any church "plant". Through our history we have been like minded people who have come together to worship the Lord Jesus Christ the best way we can through His Word.

My concern is that "Independent Baptist Churches" would not consider our congregation as part of The Church that Jesus built/is building because we can prove our lineage. So my thought is that there is not a local church (present day) that can absolutely track their relationship to The Church at Jerusalem 100%. I do know this. Our congregation stands on the foundation that Jesus Christ laid which is the gospel. You might contend that we are not part of "the church"/"the bride", but this I know we are part of "the Family of God".

Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: 17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

Romans 15: And God, who knows the heart, bore witness to them, by giving them the Holy Spirit just as he did to us, and he made no distinction between us and them, having cleansed their hearts by faith. 10 Now, therefore, why are you putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? 11 But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will.”

• Members

Can you prove your doctrinal teachings go back to the first century? At any rate, why be concerned what anyone thinks of your ministry if you are doing it according to the instruction book that Paul gave the churches.

After condemning those that teach another gospel, he writes: "For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ" (Galatians 1:10 KJV).

• Members
2 hours ago, Salyan said:

I don't see where 'proving your lineage', trail of blood-style, is anywhere in the Bible.  

I don't either. I have just read that if your local church was not "birthed" from a "true" New Testament church it is not a legitimate Church of Jesus Christ. 

• Members

This is an interesting subject.......

For my part, it is more about going forward than looking backwards.

As far as we can see in the Bible, churches are started by men sent out from other churches. What that means is that if someone wants to start a church they should do it with the proper authority from a sending church, just like in the Bible.

But as far as history is concerned.....

1. If someone is relying on their past to prove their current standing they are on dangerous ground. Where does that church stand TODAY?

2. How would anyone prove lineage all the way back? With all the persecution and subsequent secrecy at times it is practically impossible and therefore practically useless.

But just because a line of authority is impossible to prove in the past doesn't mean we shouldn't follow the biblical example of starting churches with authority.

How your church does things today is far more important than history and heritage. Those things can be undone in a matter of weeks even, with the influence of one strong willed man.

But a comparison to the Bible TODAY shows where a church is today.