• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Way of Life:In Essentials Unity

• Members
The evangelical philosophy is often stated by the dictum, “In essentials unity; in non-essentials liberty; in all things charity.”
Though commonly attributed to Augustine, it was apparently first stated by the 17th-century Lutheran Rupertus Meldenius (a.k.a. Peter Meiderlin).
It became the rallying cry of the Moravians, who had a wonderful missionary zeal but retained such Romanist heresies as infant baptism and an ordained priesthood and who promoted unity above the absolute truth of God’s Word for the purpose of “revival".. Read More

View the full article

• Members

"We know that not all doctrine has the same significance and weight, but none of it is 'non-essential.'"

Kind of wraps up the whole article. Have any of you ever "tried" to reason with a Calvinist or a tongues speaker? Frankly, I doubt the salvation of many in both groups. That would be yoking up with unbelievers.

At the same time, I'm not real crazy about some churches that believe in "tertiary separation," the idea that if you have a friend that is a friend of a guy that holds to some false doctrine, they should shun you as well. That's kind of carrying it too far.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Baptist_Bible_Believer said:

At the same time, I'm not real crazy about some churches that believe in "tertiary separation," the idea that if you have a friend that is a friend of a guy that holds to some false doctrine, they should shun you as well. That's kind of carrying it too far.

That comes pretty close to JW teaching.