Online Baptist
Login or register to remove these ads. Registration is free.
  • Welcome Guest

Tired of all the fighting that goes on in facebook groups? Are you ready for a community where you can talk about things of God and the Bible without getting branded a heretic? Well, we are glad you found us. Why don't you give us a try and see how friendly and different we are. - BroMatt

DaveW

Saved before the Cross?????

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:08 AM, DaveW said:

I always find it interesting when people try to suggest that salvation was not possible before the cross, or when they at least say that salvation was different before the cross.

I find it interesting because Paul doesn't agree with either of those propositions.

How can I state it so categorically? Oh I don't know...….

2Ti 3:15
(15)  And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
Which Scriptures do you suppose that Timothy knew from his childhood?

Act 17:10-11
(10)  And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.
(11)  These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
Which Scriptures do suppose the Bereans searched as they checked whether the things that Paul preached were so?

Well, When Timothy was a child I doubt that they had much in the way of the New Testament written, and the Bereans were checking before at least the vast majority of the NT was written.

Little Timmy knew the Holy Scriptures which are able to make him wise UNTO SALVATION. BEFORE most if not all of the NT was written.

That means that Paul said to Timothy that the OT Scriptures could tell someone how to be saved the NT way - through faith in Jesus Christ...………..

And what about those Bereans - they searched the Scriptures to check on what Paul was preaching. They searched the OT Scriptures to check on what Paul was preaching.

What was Paul preaching?

Act 17:2-3
(2)  And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,
(3)  Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.

Notice that it was his manner to preach this, and what he preached was that Jesus Christ had to suffer and die, and rise again from the dead.

The Bereans believed Paul's preaching because hen they checked out the OT to see if Paul was preaching truth, they found it was true - FROM THE OLD TESTAMENT - and they got saved.

This means that the OT told people how to be saved through Jesus Christ.

Timothy read the Old Testament, believed it, and got saved - apparently when he was a little child.

The Bereans read the Old Testament, believed it, and got saved.

And in Timothy it says that those Scriptures are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith in Jesus Christ……. pretty plain to me - the OT tells someone how to be saved through Jesus Christ.

And the Bereans were able to confirm in the OT, that salvation is through Jesus Christ, because that is what Paul was preaching.

I dunno…… I am just a dumb bloke...…. but it seems pretty obvious to me.

The OT tells about Jesus Christ, and what He had to do to save men from their sins - people just had to believe it, just as now they just have to believe it.

The basis for anyone who has ever been saved by God was the Cross of Christ, as it has always been saved by Grace alone, received thru faith alone.

Please Login or Register for free to remove these ads.