• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Looking to convert.

• Members

I'm hoping this is in the right place, but I'm new so sorry if it isn't.

My husband and I are Christian and trying to find a path to convert denominations to IFB. Specifically I am because my husband doesn't really care one way or the other but I'm hoping to change his heart about it.

I don't know where to start. There are Independent Baptist churches near me (we are going to one in a few minutes) but no IFB churches. I feel lost.

• Members

Praying that God will lead, guide and direct you to the church He would have you join. When you find one, unless you know it immediately, take a few weeks to visit and watch and listen. Meet with the pastor . . . though he'll likely initiate a meeting himself. You'll do best by attending all services and hopefully establish that as a pattern. Certainly, visit with his wife for she likely have much wisdom to share. Also praying that your husband will get right with the Lord and find a place where he can grow in the Lord.

• Members

In your search for a church I believe it is important to attend all the services of the week.  Do not make a judgement based on the Sunday morning services only because many/most pastors will preach messages designed for the lost to salvation, or the baby christian.  The Sunday evening services tend to be more "practical christian living" messages, and the Wednesday evening services are for the "core members" and typically consist of the weightier doctrines and beliefs.  This pattern is sometimes referred to as "Seed, Feed and Weed".  You won't really know a church until you have sat through a few weeks of services attending each one.  

• Members
On 1/13/2019 at 4:25 PM, LookingForTruth said:

I'm hoping this is in the right place, but I'm new so sorry if it isn't.

My husband and I are Christian and trying to find a path to convert denominations to IFB. Specifically I am because my husband doesn't really care one way or the other but I'm hoping to change his heart about it.

I don't know where to start. There are Independent Baptist churches near me (we are going to one in a few minutes) but no IFB churches. I feel lost.

Where are you in GA?  If you don't mind, please let us know and we'll do what we can to at least, recommend a church or churches to visit.  Living in GA for a while, I can say though, it is getting harder and harder (anywhere for that matter), to find a strong Independent Baptist church.

• Administrators

LookingForTruth I would encourage you to not put too much stock in a name, such as IFB.  I have been an Independent Baptist all of my Christian life and never even heard of IFB until I joined this forum. Traditionally most Independent Baptists have always identified themselves as simply that; Independent Baptists.

• Members

Lookingfortruth, I am partly ashamed to admit this but at the same time hoping to encourage you on the same level. When we were looking for churches, my wife actually led the charge. She found a church she liked. We had been there before. I had family who attended it. I had no clue what their doctrine was at first, just that it was a Baptist church. I didn't learn it was independent until a year or so later. I had a thirst for knowledge. I had my thirst quenched at this church and haven't looked back. I am ashamed that my wife led the charge when it should've been me but it was HER faithfulness to truth that brought me along. 

Edited by Anthony John Thornton