• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Catholic Who Embraced Jesus As Lord And Savior

• Members

I am a Catholic who embraced Jesus as my Lord and Savior. I attend Saturday Vigil Mass at the local Catholic parish. I also attend the local Baptist Church every Sunday morning. In May 2017 I was Baptized via immersion at that Baptist Church as a public profession of faith that I had given my life to Christ. In September 2017 I took a 10 week membership preparation class from the Pastor of that Baptist Church. In January 2018 I went before the congregation and gave my testimony in how I received salvation. I was then voted in as a member by the congregation and the Elders. I am an usher at that Baptist Church. I attend Adult Sunday School before worship at that Baptist Church. I am growing spiritually at that Baptist Church. I am both Catholic and Baptist since I am a Baptized member of both the Catholic Church and the local Baptist Church.

• Members

Which teachings do you hold to? The Catholic teachings or the Baptist? How does the Catholic church feel about you attending the Baptist Church? How does the Baptist Church feel about your attending the Catholic church? I don't see how it's possible to be both.

• Moderators

Oh, John.   We've had this conversation before. It saddens me that you haven't seen this yet. 

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you." 2 Corinthians 6:14-17

"And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters. With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication. So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication: And upon her forehead was a name written, Mystery, Babylon The Great, The Mother Of Harlots And Abominations Of The Earth. And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is. And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth." Revelation 17: 1-9 (Consider in conjunction with 1 John 2:18)

"Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time." 1 John 2:18

I don't understand how you can stomach attending mass. To me it is such an abomination. God tells us in the book of Hebrews that Christ died once for all - this directly contradicts the claims of the perpetual offering of the mass. 

"For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us: Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others; For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation." Hebrews 9:24-28

Do not forget the doctrinal claims of the Catholic church at the Council of Trent, which was reaffirmed at Vatican II. https://www.wayoflife.org/database/how_rome_denies_salvation_by_grace.html

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:8-9

• Members

This topic was discussed before and HappyChristian put an end to it . . . https://onlinebaptist.com/forums/topic/26553-are-there-any-catholics-on-here/?do=findComment&comment=434138

"I have locked this thread because I am tired of catholicism being defended.

John, Catholicism is not biblical, whether or not you choose to believe it. We are an Independent Baptist forum. We are not an apologist board for mixing the evils of Catholicism (again, whether folks believe it is evil or not, it most definitely is) with the truths of Scripture. Nor are we an apologist board for promoting other versions of the Bible. Nor are we an apologist board for promoting emergent churches.

There is to be no more discussion of mixing Catholicism with Baptist doctrine, so any other thread begun that heads that direction - or promotes false Bible versions or emergent churches -  will also be locked."

I anticipate the same result with this thread.

• Members

John Yurich...

I thought this looked very familiar to me. Sadly, there is a movement in many Baptist churches toward ecumenicism. Way of Life is a great site to explore on the "Emerging Church". 

John, I also encourage you to look closely in a comparison of the Bible and what Catholicism's dogma would have you believe. I'm sure you're a fine young man and you deserve to have wisdom about your claim.