• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What if?

Guest Kaden

Ok, I’ve been dealing with EXTREME doubt and pressure lately. I don’t know why as I’m committed to god, I know everything there is to it about dying, but somehow I always end up with thoughts in the back of my mind saying “What if your just some monkey that evolved and there is no afterlife or god.” And being someone who has a crippling fear of death, these things make me fearful and second guess everything. My question is where do they come from, why they are coming, and how can I stop them?

• Members

Fear is from Satan.  He will do anything he can to cause us to doubt God and His Word.  He is the father of lies.  He will use your fears, your personality, your life before Christ, anything that gets his foot in the door.  I have had the same thoughts as you.  What if?  I decided it does nothing but good to follow Christ, to hold on to His promises, to allow Him to control my life (I've proven to myself that I certainly cannot be trusted).  If God isn't who He says He is, I've lost nothing.  This was as a young Christian.  As I've leaned on and trusted God, He has proved Himself faithful.  I came to trust and love Him.  I no longer have times of doubt.  I am completely and passionately a follower of Christ.  He tests me, He doesn't always answer the way I want Him to, I even have moments of, "what is He thinking", but I know that I can only see the here and now, that is it.  He sees it all from the eternal past to the eternal future.   He controls all from eternity past and eternity future.  He is far wiser than  me.  Hang on to Him through His Word and your faith.  He will not leave you where you are at now.  He will grow your faith and strength in Him through His grace.

• Members

In times of my doubt, fears and anxieties, I have found this verse in Isaiah helps strengthen my heart, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee." Isaiah 26:3

I do hope that the thoughts of Isaiah will help you; and all of us.

Alan

• Members

Without knowing exactly what you are having doubts about it is difficult to respond. I will say that doubts, for me, seem normal. I would encourage you to explore the doubts instead of being fearful of them. For example, if you are doubting the existence of God, you should fully explore the doubt, or you will return to it again and again and again. Examine it - is there any evidence for God's existence? And don't be satisfied with simple and easy answers that don't really address the problem. Face it head on, and go with what you find to be the truth.