Jump to content
Online Baptist
  • Welcome Guest

    Tired of all the fighting that goes on in facebook groups? Are you ready for a community where you can talk about things of God and the Bible without getting branded a heretic? Well, we are glad you found us. Why don't you give us a try and see how friendly and different we are. - BroMatt

JustaSearcher

Fort Worth Star-Telegram Series

Recommended Posts

I, for one would rather not dwell on the morbid. I am not denying that things like this happen, but do not see the need to drag them out and examine them as a simple point of interest on a message board. 

 Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts:

1. Sexual abuse is ALWAYS wrong and as a criminal act should ALWAYS have the proper authorities involved.

2. Whatever it is that you are referencing has nothing to do with the church that I am a member of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I, for one would rather not dwell on the morbid. I am not denying that things like this happen, but do not see the need to drag them out and examine them as a simple point of interest on a message board. 

 Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 

 

Good point Brother Foley.  These things have/do happen, but to rehash them over and over again, especially up here, is pointless, save for strife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JustaSearcher said:

Opinions or thoughts on the Star-Telegram series from earlier this month on sexual abuse in IFB churches. Thanks!

The "report" is old news rehashing the last 30 years of "IFB" allegations ranging from real criminal concerns and abuse to mere hurt feelings of "he insulted me and made me feel worthless", in order to come up with around 200 "incidents". While this report uses what amounts to about ten or so problem churches enabling , passing around, and covering up these sex perverts. They use it to accuse over 6,000 Independent Baptist  churches, who have done nothing wrong, of being a cult where these things flourish. They are basically bringing it up again because they want to ride the media wave, and distract from the real scandal happening in the catholic church.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, John Young said:

The "report" is old news rehashing the last 30 years of "IFB" allegations ranging from real criminal concerns and abuse to mere hurt feelings of "he insulted me and made me feel worthless", in order to come up with around 200 "incidents". While this report uses what amounts to about ten or so problem churches enabling , passing around, and covering up these sex perverts. They use it to accuse over 6,000 Independent Baptist  churches, who have done nothing wrong, of being a cult where these things flourish. They are basically bringing it up again because they want to ride the media wave, and distract from the real scandal happening in the catholic church.

Thank you for your answer. Sorry I haven’t been able to get back promptly given the holiday.

You sound like a very wise and knowledgeable young pastor, and I would ask if you could elaborate for me.

You say it’s ‘old news’, but I suspect much of which is revealed is not ‘old’ to the people involved. I read nothing of “mere hurt feelings’, I’m not sure what that is referring to. The number is under 200, however the number is growing with time. I saw nothing of ‘accusing 6000 IFB churches’ (first time I heard that number). I did see analysis of the underlying culture of said churches that makes it vulnerable to predators.

You write: “They are basically bringing it up again because they want to ride the media wave, and distract from the real scandal happening in the catholic church.”

That’s quite a serious charge. Do you have any evidence to substantiate this charge? Or is it merely conjecture?

Finally, you do not give any solutions as to how to avoid these types of crimes from taking place. Does your particular church have any safeguards in place to prevent this type of abuse?

Thanks so much, I appreciate your thoughtful answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JustaSearcher said:

You sound like a very wise and knowledgeable young pastor, and I would ask if you could elaborate for me.

Just curious, are you a reporter looking to get a quote for a story you might be running? It looks like you are on a fishing expedition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baptist_Bible_Believer said:

Just curious, are you a reporter looking to get a quote for a story you might be running? It looks like you are on a fishing expedition.

Ignores the other answers and pokes around at just this one....... wonder what kind of fishing rod, what grade line, what rig he is using?

Problem for the reporter is that when someone says "anything like this should be dealt with by the proper authorities" it doesn't make for a good story.

And yet, pretty much every Independent Baptist preacher I know would agree with that statement.

The very few that wouldn't need to be investigated by the proper authorities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Baptist_Bible_Believer said:

Just curious, are you a reporter looking to get a quote for a story you might be running? It looks like you are on a fishing expedition.

No, I am not a reporter. 

I'm not sure why asking legitimate questions is a 'fishing expedition'. Questions are healthy, it's how we learn and share opinions.

8 hours ago, DaveW said:

Ignores the other answers and pokes around at just this one....... wonder what kind of fishing rod, what grade line, what rig he is using?

The other 'answers' did not address the OP. One 'answer' simply linked the Way of Life article. I am interested in what you  think. Not letting someone else think for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2019 at 5:50 PM, JustaSearcher said:

Opinions or thoughts on the Star-Telegram series from earlier this month on sexual abuse in IFB churches.

Thanks!

I have been in many of these churches over the years. I never asked the pastors if their church had policies in place to respond properly if abuse does take place in their congregations. These kind of reports make me wish I had. I would love if this question could be answered now seeing how my family and I have many strong connections to Independent Baptist churches. There's a real family-oriented atmosphere there, will my family be safe if they continue to attend their church? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JustaSearcher said:

No, I am not a reporter. 

I'm not sure why asking legitimate questions is a 'fishing expedition'. Questions are healthy, it's how we learn and share opinions.

The other 'answers' did not address the OP. One 'answer' simply linked the Way of Life article. I am interested in what you  think. Not letting someone else think for you.

So my answer didn't address the OP?

Absolutely wrong. It just didn't address it in a way that allowed you to respond in the way you want.

The point Independent Baptists are not an organized group. What happens in one church has no bearing on what another church is doing.

Kinda like saying you must have an opinion on murders in red brick homes because you live in a red brick home.

It has nothing to do with you except that live in a house built of the same stuff.

And the manner of your question certainly does appear to be a fishing expedition. You may not have intended that, but that is the way it looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DaveW said:

So my answer didn't address the OP?

Absolutely wrong. It just didn't address it in a way that allowed you to respond in the way you want.

The point Independent Baptists are not an organized group. What happens in one church has no bearing on what another church is doing.

Kinda like saying you must have an opinion on murders in red brick homes because you live in a red brick home.

It has nothing to do with you except that live in a house built of the same stuff.

And the manner of your question certainly does appear to be a fishing expedition. You may not have intended that, but that is the way it looks.

Independent Baptists are not an organized group? I don't know about that. Every Independent Fundamental Baptist church I have been in are very proud of the fact, but all got along real well. You just know when you walked into a Independent Baptist church you were a part of a big, extended "family" or a community of sorts. Seldom do I recall ever getting up and leaving a church that had 'Independent, Fundamental, Baptist' on their sign because they're not part of the same group. When's the last time you had to walk out of an IFB church because they weren't apart of your group, you know, if you were visiting or something? Never happened here. If it was on the sign, my family was right at home. Just my thoughts. 

Edited by A Virtuous Woman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Each IFB church is an "independent fundamental Baptist" church. They are autonomous, as there is no ruling body where all the churches report to. These churches may, and often do, belong to a "fellowship" where churches of like-minded faith and practice have a loose affiliation. What goes on in church A has no bearing on what is happening in church B, and there is no overseeing 'bishop' as you might find in a synod or presbytery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually only Pastor Young answered with direct reference to the article. One's view of what is or what is not 'independent is not what the article is about.

I still await Pastor Young's answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Baptist_Bible_Believer said:

Each IFB church is an "independent fundamental Baptist" church. They are autonomous, as there is no ruling body where all the churches report to. These churches may, and often do, belong to a "fellowship" where churches of like-minded faith and practice have a loose affiliation. What goes on in church A has no bearing on what is happening in church B, and there is no overseeing 'bishop' as you might find in a synod or presbytery.

I hear that. But there is a shared set of standards, practices, and way of going about things that are unique to Independent Baptist churches that connects them more than a fellowship or name ever could. The Star-Telegram series pointed out where that was sadly translated to abuse of many, many victims. So, back to my original question...would my family be safe in their IFB church? The responses I'm seeing don't answer that question. If this report doesn't reflect the vast majority of Independent Baptists, then why aren't they boldly proclaiming that by putting protocols in place to prevent them from being a statistic? If I ask a pastor about that will they be able to reassure me they will? The standard operating procedure for IFB churches doesn't seem to suggest that. IFB claims to be independent, but this problem is within this community. Sexual abuse isn't a unique crisis, however, IFB's response is. It's not about the Catholic abuse scandal, it's about a sexual abuse crisis in Independent Fundamental Baptist churches. It's time pastors answer these tough questions. Too many families depend on their church being a safe place. 

Edited by A Virtuous Woman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are safer in an IFB church than they would be down at the bowling alley. I'd take your chances with the Bible-believers.

I mean, seriously, are there child predators in the public school system? Of course there are, but the media is not emphasizing those stories. We are in the last days, and these things are all part and parcel of the conditions before the Lord returns. Jesus said that it would be as it was in the days of Lot . . . and we see the homosexual agenda almost everywhere . . . don't go into a bathroom at Target stores . . . better off, stay away from Target all together.

Our local churches certainly need to be watchful, and not get themselves into a position where they have to hire people that are novices, and untested. As churches allow the state to dictate anything they do (such as in "Christian schools" the chances of bad eggs increase. But we need to face the reality that the Devil seeks to destroy the work of God anywhere and everywhere he can. Bible-preaching churches are high on his list.

Not all Israel are Israel, and not all Christians are Christians, and the Devil will always have his "angels of light."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baptist_Bible_Believer said:

They are safer in an IFB church than they would be down at the bowling alley. I'd take your chances with the Bible-believers.

I mean, seriously, are there child predators in the public school system? Of course there are, but the media is not emphasizing those stories.

I'm sorry right now I'm not more convinced my family would be safer in their church. Not without the evidence to prove that. And the one thing public school systems have that churches don't...abuse trauma education. A pastor may be trained in "spiritual" aspects of his calling, but I have not seen where Independent Fundamental Baptist institutions dedicated to training them educate them on how to not only spot abuse, but how to properly respond. If these pastors are not getting the proper training than how can I know that they are prepared to handle these situations?

I don't personally feel that the media is directly zoning in on churches per se. Has there been more awareness on the topic of sexual abuse in religious settings, especially churches? Well, yes. I don't believe this is in a way to get in the way of "God's work". If anything, in this particular situation, Independent Baptists may just be getting in their own way by not getting ahead of the situation in the first place. Maybe it's time to consider doing a little soul searching at what the causes may be behind this? 400 allegations of abuse is sadly going to repeat itself again, over and over, if the church as a whole does not 1) validate victims by admitting they play a part in the problem; 2) admit that they may just not have all the answers and ASK for help. 

If this could ensure my family's safety, along with other families just like mine, than you would think now would be the opportunity IFB pastors and their churches would take to prevent even more hurt.

I don't believe with the proper education and holding themselves to a higher standard of accountability, that Independent Baptists would be responding the way they have, including not responding at all.

This tells me two things: their church reputation comes before victims--past and future--and reputation is the ultimate goal at preserving. So much for young girls and boys innocents? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baptist_Bible_Believer said:

They are safer in an IFB church than they would be down at the bowling alley. I'd take your chances with the Bible-believers.
 

You as well do not give any solutions as to how to avoid these types of crimes from taking place. Does your particular church have any safeguards in place to prevent this type of abuse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, A Virtuous Woman said:

I'm sorry right now I'm not more convinced my family would be safer in their church. Not without the evidence to prove that.

 

28 minutes ago, JustaSearcher said:

You as well do not give any solutions as to how to avoid these types of crimes from taking place. Does your particular church have any safeguards in place to prevent this type of abuse?

You both claim to be Independent Fundamental Baptist on your profiles. Yet you both are demanding answers for solutions to these problems. Why don't you ask your own churches? If you want answers from us in addition to the answers your own churches then fine but first, perhaps you can introduce yourselves to the forum by posting your testimonies in the new members section. Who are you both? When and how were you saved? What churches do you go to? Are you involved at you local church? Perhaps if you both are more open about who you all are then the forum members may be more helpful.

Galatians 4:20 I desire to be present with you now, and to change my voice; for I stand in doubt of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Young said:

 

You both claim to be Independent Fundamental Baptist on your profiles. Yet you both are demanding answers for solutions to these problems. Why don't you ask your own churches? If you want answers from us in addition to the answers your own churches then fine but first, perhaps you can introduce yourselves to the forum by posting your testimonies in the new members section. Who are you both? When and how were you saved? What churches do you go to? Are you involved at you local church? Perhaps if you both are more open about who you all are then the forum members may be more helpful.

Galatians 4:20 I desire to be present with you now, and to change my voice; for I stand in doubt of you.

You write: “They are basically bringing it up again because they want to ride the media wave, and distract from the real scandal happening in the catholic church.”

That’s quite a serious charge. Do you have any evidence to substantiate this charge? Or is it merely conjecture?

Finally, you do not give any solutions as to how to avoid these types of crimes from taking place. Does your particular church have any safeguards in place to prevent this type of abuse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Young said:

Yet you both are demanding answers for solutions to these problems. Why don't you ask your own churches?

I can only speak for myself, so I'm going to return to my original questions: Is my family, like many others, safe in their IFB church? Also, does your church understand the reality of sexual abuse and how trauma presents itself in victims, especially those that are the most vulnerable such as children? 

So far, I've been told a "Bible-believing" church is safer than a bowling alley. Do you understand how that answer is not really an answer at all? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And you both are ignoring the fact that no single person CAN answer your questions BECAUSE independent Baptist churches ARE INDEPENDENT.

I absolutely directly answered the initial post when I said that the proper authorities should be involved - although I didn't state it, that is the policy in the church where I am.

But because an independent Baptist church is independent I can not speak for any church but the one I am a member of.

I can tell you that was the same for each of the three churches that I have been a member of.

I have a question for the two of you.

Why are you both singling out independent Baptist churches?

There are many independent churches around - why exclude them?

There are many church groups around - why exclude them?

This singling out of only independent Baptist churches is what makes this seem fishy.

We KNOW that this kind of thing is not exclusive to independent Baptist churches, so why focus on them?

The Catholic church appears to have a systematic and organized way to hide and ignore the problem and not to even deal with it internally. The Anglican church has likewise had its issues with the problem. The Mormons have also has instances. The JW's have had instances. 

Schools have had many instances. The boy scouts have instances. 

And yet you both are focusing on independent Baptist churches only, even to the extent of attacking the other person who pointed out that others have the issue and to a far greater extent.

My answer was absolutely, 100% applicable to the original question, you just don't want to accept it because it does not allow you to continue with your story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts are that if these allegations are true it goes to show people are still sinners and need God's grace. Do you want strangers talking about your sins online? What if the allegations are not true? How can you be sure they are true? Why should I take the word of the supposed victims over the word of the supposed perpetraitors? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JustaSearcher said:

That’s quite a serious charge. Do you have any evidence to substantiate this charge? 

 

54 minutes ago, A Virtuous Woman said:

Do you understand how that answer is not really an answer at all? 

Both of you are all take an no give in this conversation. Despite the fact that the rest of us were forthcoming you insist on answers from us while giving none of your own. Conversations don't work that way. Tell us about yourself. Introduce yourselves and maybe we'll talk more about it and our individual church policies. As it stands the only reason you both joined was to interrogate those on the forum about this hack job of a "report" and you really have no interest in being productive members here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)



×