• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Fort Worth Star-Telegram Series

• Administrators

I, for one would rather not dwell on the morbid. I am not denying that things like this happen, but do not see the need to drag them out and examine them as a simple point of interest on a message board. 

Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 

• Members
54 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I, for one would rather not dwell on the morbid. I am not denying that things like this happen, but do not see the need to drag them out and examine them as a simple point of interest on a message board. 

Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 

Good point Brother Foley.  These things have/do happen, but to rehash them over and over again, especially up here, is pointless, save for strife.

• Members
4 hours ago, JustaSearcher said:

Opinions or thoughts on the Star-Telegram series from earlier this month on sexual abuse in IFB churches. Thanks!

The "report" is old news rehashing the last 30 years of "IFB" allegations ranging from real criminal concerns and abuse to mere hurt feelings of "he insulted me and made me feel worthless", in order to come up with around 200 "incidents". While this report uses what amounts to about ten or so problem churches enabling , passing around, and covering up these sex perverts. They use it to accuse over 6,000 Independent Baptist  churches, who have done nothing wrong, of being a cult where these things flourish. They are basically bringing it up again because they want to ride the media wave, and distract from the real scandal happening in the catholic church.

• Members
19 hours ago, John Young said:

The "report" is old news rehashing the last 30 years of "IFB" allegations ranging from real criminal concerns and abuse to mere hurt feelings of "he insulted me and made me feel worthless", in order to come up with around 200 "incidents". While this report uses what amounts to about ten or so problem churches enabling , passing around, and covering up these sex perverts. They use it to accuse over 6,000 Independent Baptist  churches, who have done nothing wrong, of being a cult where these things flourish. They are basically bringing it up again because they want to ride the media wave, and distract from the real scandal happening in the catholic church.

Thank you for your answer. Sorry I haven’t been able to get back promptly given the holiday.

You sound like a very wise and knowledgeable young pastor, and I would ask if you could elaborate for me.

You say it’s ‘old news’, but I suspect much of which is revealed is not ‘old’ to the people involved. I read nothing of “mere hurt feelings’, I’m not sure what that is referring to. The number is under 200, however the number is growing with time. I saw nothing of ‘accusing 6000 IFB churches’ (first time I heard that number). I did see analysis of the underlying culture of said churches that makes it vulnerable to predators.

You write: “They are basically bringing it up again because they want to ride the media wave, and distract from the real scandal happening in the catholic church.”

That’s quite a serious charge. Do you have any evidence to substantiate this charge? Or is it merely conjecture?

Finally, you do not give any solutions as to how to avoid these types of crimes from taking place. Does your particular church have any safeguards in place to prevent this type of abuse?

Thanks so much, I appreciate your thoughtful answer.

• Members
1 hour ago, JustaSearcher said:

You sound like a very wise and knowledgeable young pastor, and I would ask if you could elaborate for me.

Just curious, are you a reporter looking to get a quote for a story you might be running? It looks like you are on a fishing expedition.

• Members
1 hour ago, Baptist_Bible_Believer said:

Just curious, are you a reporter looking to get a quote for a story you might be running? It looks like you are on a fishing expedition.

Ignores the other answers and pokes around at just this one....... wonder what kind of fishing rod, what grade line, what rig he is using?

Problem for the reporter is that when someone says "anything like this should be dealt with by the proper authorities" it doesn't make for a good story.

And yet, pretty much every Independent Baptist preacher I know would agree with that statement.

The very few that wouldn't need to be investigated by the proper authorities.

• Members
10 hours ago, Baptist_Bible_Believer said:

No, I am not a reporter. 

I'm not sure why asking legitimate questions is a 'fishing expedition'. Questions are healthy, it's how we learn and share opinions.

8 hours ago, DaveW said:

Ignores the other answers and pokes around at just this one....... wonder what kind of fishing rod, what grade line, what rig he is using?

The other 'answers' did not address the OP. One 'answer' simply linked the Way of Life article. I am interested in what you  think. Not letting someone else think for you.

• Members
On 1/1/2019 at 5:50 PM, JustaSearcher said:

Opinions or thoughts on the Star-Telegram series from earlier this month on sexual abuse in IFB churches.

Thanks!

I have been in many of these churches over the years. I never asked the pastors if their church had policies in place to respond properly if abuse does take place in their congregations. These kind of reports make me wish I had. I would love if this question could be answered now seeing how my family and I have many strong connections to Independent Baptist churches. There's a real family-oriented atmosphere there, will my family be safe if they continue to attend their church? 

• Members
2 hours ago, JustaSearcher said:

No, I am not a reporter. 

I'm not sure why asking legitimate questions is a 'fishing expedition'. Questions are healthy, it's how we learn and share opinions.

The other 'answers' did not address the OP. One 'answer' simply linked the Way of Life article. I am interested in what you  think. Not letting someone else think for you.

So my answer didn't address the OP?

Absolutely wrong. It just didn't address it in a way that allowed you to respond in the way you want.

The point Independent Baptists are not an organized group. What happens in one church has no bearing on what another church is doing.

Kinda like saying you must have an opinion on murders in red brick homes because you live in a red brick home.

It has nothing to do with you except that live in a house built of the same stuff.

And the manner of your question certainly does appear to be a fishing expedition. You may not have intended that, but that is the way it looks.

• Members
20 minutes ago, DaveW said:

So my answer didn't address the OP?

Absolutely wrong. It just didn't address it in a way that allowed you to respond in the way you want.

The point Independent Baptists are not an organized group. What happens in one church has no bearing on what another church is doing.

Kinda like saying you must have an opinion on murders in red brick homes because you live in a red brick home.

It has nothing to do with you except that live in a house built of the same stuff.

And the manner of your question certainly does appear to be a fishing expedition. You may not have intended that, but that is the way it looks.

Independent Baptists are not an organized group? I don't know about that. Every Independent Fundamental Baptist church I have been in are very proud of the fact, but all got along real well. You just know when you walked into a Independent Baptist church you were a part of a big, extended "family" or a community of sorts. Seldom do I recall ever getting up and leaving a church that had 'Independent, Fundamental, Baptist' on their sign because they're not part of the same group. When's the last time you had to walk out of an IFB church because they weren't apart of your group, you know, if you were visiting or something? Never happened here. If it was on the sign, my family was right at home. Just my thoughts. 

Edited by A Virtuous Woman

• Members

Each IFB church is an "independent fundamental Baptist" church. They are autonomous, as there is no ruling body where all the churches report to. These churches may, and often do, belong to a "fellowship" where churches of like-minded faith and practice have a loose affiliation. What goes on in church A has no bearing on what is happening in church B, and there is no overseeing 'bishop' as you might find in a synod or presbytery.