• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Happy New Year.

DaveW

• Members

From Western Australia, where it will be the New Year in about another hour and a half, I would like to wish you all a God honouring and biblically "successful" year to come.

1Co_10:31  Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Jos_1:8  This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

• Members

"Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:13-14 KJV).

Always an appropriate verse for a new year!

By God's grace I'm hoping to start and maintain a daily devotion which we can call "Profiting From Proverbs." You are all welcome to add to it. Isn't it amazing that the Book of Proverbs has 31 chapters, and that there is generally 31 days in a month? You think God had something to do with that? Let's read a chapter a day and see what God might have for us. As the Lord leads, share with us what God has shown you in a special way and by His grace let us build up a devotional repository that may serve busy preachers and teachers for the work of their ministries. Let's keep our knives and forks handy for some daily bread! I'm sure that with all the preachers posting here, there will be some hearty meat on the table! 

• Members

Holy New Year to you as well!  This is kinda a long shot, but do you know Phil Hyland?  He is one of our supported missionaries.  Here is a link to his SermonAudio page.

Sonshine Baptist Church
Phillip Hyland  |  Caloundra, Queensland, Australia https://www.sermonaudio.com/source_detail.asp?sourceid=sonshinebaptist

Oh and here's what I started out to post, but thought of the other LOL!  Here's a message from an aforementioned passage, from one of our preachers, from a Watch Night Service at a sister church a couple years ago.

Pressing Toward The Mark - James Crawford http://jeremiah616.sermon.net/main/main/20837244

• Members

Happy New Year!

Or, as we say in Chinese;  新年快樂!

For you Westerners, this is the year 2019.

For us in China, or rather Taiwan (the communist government on mainland China, is now using the Gregorian, or Western, calendar), it is the Chinese Year 107. Today's date, at least on Taiwan, is: 107年01月01日。

Oh !!! I forgot one minor detail. The Chinese New Year, which changes year by year, does not actually start this year until February 2nd.

So, if all that I have said is a little confusing, don't worry, the Lord is not confused at all. God knows exactly what date it is and exactly when He will accomplish His will in all things. "But when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons." Galatians 4:4 & 5

Oh! One last thought,  I feel sorry for those who set dates for the Second Coming of Christ! Whose calendar do you use? Jewish? European? Gregorian? Chinese? Chaldean?

Edited by Alan
grammar

• Members
6 hours ago, OFIB Preacher said:

This is kinda a long shot, but do you know Phil Hyland?  He is one of our supported missionaries. 

First up - Australia is a huge place and I am on the opposite coast to Queensland. Only about 4000km between us. ?

However, I do know the name. I don't know the man, but I do know the name and the church. I have some friends in the general area.

I was in Queensland earlier this year for some fellowship meetings, but brother Hyland was not there.

• Members
16 hours ago, DaveW said:

First up - Australia is a huge place and I am on the opposite coast to Queensland. Only about 4000km between us. ?

However, I do know the name. I don't know the man, but I do know the name and the church. I have some friends in the general area.

I was in Queensland earlier this year for some fellowship meetings, but brother Hyland was not there.

LOL, yeah like I said, kinda a long shot, thanks for the info!  One of our men was in the area on business, dropped in on him and said he's doing a good work!