• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why do some Baptist pastors talk about other churches instead of concentrating on the Holy Bible?

Gud4U

Greetings,

i am a newbie and i've been told that the Baptists are the best and that's why i am here.

i have been searching the internet, since there aren't any churches i could attend around me, and i've been able to find this website here and i have also been able to watch a few sermons by some Baptist pastors / preachers. 

What strikes me most is that, although i have watched only a few sermons, i hope it's not the case with all of them, but anyhow, what strikes me is that the pastor talking is saying something about the Bible and then jumps at this or that church or other pastor where and who do something not to his liking.

Is this how Christians should behave? talking behind the back of other people to the public? Is this what i should be learning from a Baptist Christian Church pastor?

i'd rather stay offline and just read my KJV Bible and try to make out the lessons there for myself.

This has not changed my mind about Christianity, people make mistakes, but i am totally horrified. These sermons are available on the internet and YouTube specially and many people can watch and get a wrong idea, won't they?

Thank you for your attention and time.

• Members

Who exactly are you listening to? 

If I might make some recommendations, you can go to Sermon Audio and listen to people like Kenny Baldwin, John Van Gelderen, Jim Van Gelderen, also David Cloud.

I also highly recommend you download the App "loveworthfinding", it's a ministry that plays audio sermons from now deceased preacher, Adrian Rogers.

I would like to recommend you read this free e-book, it is for people in your situation.

https://www.wayoflife.org/free_ebooks/what-if-no-good-church.php

In response to your question about the practice of talking about other churches and Pastors:

https://www.wayoflife.org/reports/private_reproof_vs_public.html

"God solemnly charges the preacher to identify false teachers, to exhort, reprove, and rebuke with all authority, to speak as the oracles of God, to earnestly contend for the faith, and even to warn about born-again compromisers (Romans 16:17; 2 Timothy 4:2; Titus 2:15; 1 Peter 4:11; Jude 3; 2 Thess. 3:6; 2 Tim. 4:10). Nowhere in Scripture are these commandments restricted in their scope. Nowhere does God say that a Bible preacher can reprove and rebuke only the members of his own church or that he can reprove and rebuke anyone who errs except an influential Christian leader. "

"To reprove public sin and error publicly by the Word of God under the guidance of the Spirit of God and in His wisdom is not slander and is not gossip and is not “throwing rocks” and is not “shooting the wounded” and is not hateful and is not dishonoring to Christ."

Now, there are definately internet preachers to avoid, for example one of them is Steven Anderson. You need to find sound bible teaching, ideally a solid church. 

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members

While no preacher, in my opinion, should go to seed with exposing bad eggs, as there is an immeasurable storehouse of good worth teaching in the Word, he still has a God-given duty to "mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. (Romans 16:17 KJV). There is plenty of error in the feel-good, social club churches that needs to be warned about. The Joel Osteen's of the world need to be exposed for the charlatans that they are.
At the same time, the preacher also should  "mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample" (Philippians 3:17 KJV). Talk about other good churches and the great work they are doing under the leadership of brother so-and-so. Talk about the good ministries of missionaries serving on foreign soil. Remind the folks of their prayer needs and brag on their victories.

God is looking for a balance and it should always be remembered that, "A false balance is abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is his delight" (Proverbs 11:1 KJV). Preachers are enjoined to preach the "whole counsel of God," and not just a few hobby horses.

15 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

Who exactly are you listening to? 

Greetings,

Dear Jordan,

I have been listening to two pastors on their YouTube channel, who seem to be members and pastors of an IFB church somewhere and in the 'About' tab it reads: 

. . . Don't expect anything contemporary or liberal. We are an old-fashioned, independent, fundamental, King James Bible only, soul-winning Baptist church.

And i personally did not enjoy having to listen to all the talk that was about other pastors, preachers, churches and so on. In my humble opinion, i have to watch out if i am doing the right thing and it is not my job to judge others, as Jesus Christ seems have done in practise.

Now you say, 

"God solemnly charges the preacher to identify false teachers, to exhort, reprove, and rebuke with all authority, to speak as the oracles of God, to earnestly contend for the faith, and even to warn about born-again compromisers (Romans 16:17; 2 Timothy 4:2; Titus 2:15; 1 Peter 4:11; Jude 3; 2 Thess. 3:6; 2 Tim. 4:10).

i understand that as something quite different, but i am nobody, so i must be wrong, still allow me to say, in my humble opinion, it has nothing to do with preaching at a sermon, in my humble opinion, again, a pastor has the advantage of the time the people have given him, why? in order to learn the 'Word' of the Lord, which is so many layered and comprehensive, there should be no time wasted on worldly matters during the sermon.

If a pastor or preacher or whoever in charge feels obligated to do something about a false preacher a false teacher, a false whatever, they should do something about it at other times and not talk about them as a way to advertise what they are doing better where they are and who they are themselves, no?

Again, i apologise, i am merely someone who has just converted and is very enthusiastic about the Faith, not the world.

If I might make some recommendations, you can go to Sermon Audio and listen to people like Kenny Baldwin, John Van Gelderen, Jim Van Gelderen, also David Cloud.

I also highly recommend you download the App "loveworthfinding", it's a ministry that plays audio sermons from now deceased preacher, Adrian Rogers.

I would like to recommend you read this free e-book, it is for people in your situation.

https://www.wayoflife.org/free_ebooks/what-if-no-good-church.php

In response to your question about the practice of talking about other churches and Pastors:

https://www.wayoflife.org/reports/private_reproof_vs_public.html

Also cheers and thanks for the links and suggestions.

8 hours ago, Baptist_Bible_Believer said:

"mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. (Romans 16:17 KJV)

Dear BBB,

Thank you for your concern and time, too. i will read more and learn, this might also be a cultural thing, where i am from, we don't talk behind the back of others, it's considered rude and ungentlemanly. i guess i have to learn many things that i dreamt not of.
Thank you again.

May Lord Bless your hearts and souls

1 hour ago, Totoosart said:

why can't i reply to this?

The website was down or something, it's OK now ?

• Members

The thing with any pastor and church is that you will have to try their spirit. Occasionally a pastor will have to call out a false teacher but their main ministry should be feeding the flock of God that they have been called to. If they are only putting down others and lifting up them selves while teaching very little actual bible doctrine, Then they should be avoided. If they have the Spirit of God in them then you will be encouraged and refreshed and motivated by the preaching and teaching, even when they occasionally have the sad and solom duty of calling out a false teaching or errant brothers.

1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Acts 20:27-29 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God. Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. 29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

Philippians 4:7-9 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things arejust, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

2 Corinthians 10:12-13 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise. 13 But we will not boast of things without our measure, but according to the measure of the rule which God hath distributed to us, a measure to reach even unto you.

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.