• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How does one prepare for the Lord's coming?

Gud4U

Greetings ?

I have been going through the forums and reading very interesting stuff

and learning as much as i can understand.

However, i came across this reference to the Holy Bible

Matthew 24:42, 'Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.'

and as a newbie i really have no idea how to prepare myself for His coming.

So, how do you prepare yourself?

Thanks for your kind attention and time.

Stay aware

i need to add that i am totally confused.

How can one be prepared when salvation is seemingly totally presented by Grace:

Ephesians 2:5, 'For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:'

Does this mean that all i need to do is believe in Jesus Christ and hope that He will come and forgive me?

If so: How can i possibly know if my belief is good enough?

i hope my questions are not too stupid, but even so, there you are.

Thanks for your kind time and attention.

• Moderators

Salvation is free, reward (or loss) is due to faithfulness.

How does that relate to preparing for His coming?  

1Jn 3:1  Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
1Jn 3:2  Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
1Jn 3:3  And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

Dear OLD fashioned preacher,

Thanks a lot for your kind reply and time.

The more i read the more confused and more questions pop up but i'm trying to keep silly questions (such as: why didn't God punish Cane for murdering his brother and just let him live on without severe punishment, although he seems to be cursed, but no harm came to him, as it seems to me) out of my mind. All i understand is that i need to be righteous and believe heartily in Christ and hope all will be fine.

i think i need to work on my belief and trust in Christ and hopefully peace of mind will follow, but even then one can never be sure, isn't it?

• Moderators

One can absolutely be sure. Look up 1 John 5:13.

Your words remind me of me some years ago when I was doubting my salvation. Did I believe properly? How could I be sure? I found the answer was two-fold. First, I made sure that The Who and what that I was trusting in was right according to the Bible. It does no good to just airy-fairy ‘believe in belief’, or to be trying to do righteous works in addition to belief (that’s not faith, but works), or to not accept that we are sinners that need a Savior, or to not believe in Jesus as God, Messiah, the Only Way, etc.  

Secondly, I had to stop looking at myself. I had been examining myself - did I believe properly? Had I repented properly? That was the wrong focus. Salvation is absolutely not about us - we can’t do anything ‘right’ to get salvation. And just as we trust the Living Word of God, Jesus, for our salvation, assurance comes as we depend on God’s written Word, the Bible. I had to stop looking at myself and just trust the God would do what He said he would do. Romans 10:13 says that whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved. I knew that I’d trusted and called on Him the best I knew how, according to His Word, so I just trusted and leaned on that verse until the doubts left. 

Dear Salyan,

Thank you so much for your kind reply.

It is good to know i'm not the only one who doubts and that one can be hopeful.

i will study the chapters you have mentioned and suggested and hopefully i will learn to feel better.

i wish you all a very happy time and may the Lord All-mighty bless your hearts.

Cheers