• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The significance of the lineage of Jesus Christ

Gud4U

I was wondering:

What is the significance of the linage of Jesus Christ, when we have already accepted him as the Son of God?

Is it merely as a sign to fulfil the prophecy or is there much more there to learn?

Thank you for your time and attention.

Totoosart

• Members

The lineage of Jesus Christ is a good subject to discuss and has many aspects. 

I feel it does have to do a lot with prophecy and there is a lot more to learn after salvation.

Since this is the Christmas season, I think to start off the subject we can quote the start of the lineage of Christ, from Abraham to Joseph, as written in Matthew 1:1, "The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham." Matthew 1:1

"... she was found with child of the Holy Ghost." Matthew 1:18 which was in fulfillment of Isaiah 7:14. So, the birth of Christ is a fulfillment of the prophecy of Isiah 7:14. 

I let somebody else go from here.

1 hour ago, Alan said:

I feel it does have to do a lot with prophecy and there is a lot more to learn after salvation.

Dear Alan,

Thanks for your kind reply.

As i was typing the question, and mentioned there, it occurred to me that it should be as a sign of fulfilment of the prophecy in Isaiah 7:14.

I look forward to your other thoughts.

Bless your heart

• Moderators

The lineage of Jesus Christ essential to Who he is. As a descendent of Adam, he is our kinsman redeemer, able to take our sin in our place.  As a descendant of Abraham, he is the One through whom all people shall be blessed. As a descendent of Isaac, and a Jew, he can be the Messiah.  As a descendent of Judah, he has the right to be the king of Israel.  The Son of God is also the Son of Man.  He cannot be one without also being the other.   The prophesied lineage of Jesus was not merely for a sign; it is literally Who He had to be in order to redeem us. 

Wow, Salyan,

That was such a great reply and mind opening. Thanks so much for your kind reply and the time.

One has to realise how deep and layered the Bible is.

Have a great time and stay aware.