Online Baptist
  • Welcome Guest

Tired of all the fighting that goes on in facebook groups? Are you ready for a community where you can talk about things of God and the Bible without getting branded a heretic? Well, we are glad you found us. Why don't you give us a try and see how friendly and different we are. - BroMatt

1Timothy115

1 Peter 2:17-24 emphasis vs. 19

1 Peter 2:17-24 

I was looking at defining 'endure' for my own growth and came to the above scripture. I understand the context as referring to government and work relationships. I wondered would it be too far a stretch to apply verse 19 to family and personal family relationships?

I mean in the ordinary difficulties of family life and or family strife. The day by day interaction with my (our) own household members.

Hello, 1Timothy1 15

Here are my 2 cents...

Yes, I think you can apply it!

I also apply what verse 20 has to say....
“....when ye do well, and suffer [for it], ye take it patiently....”

The way I see it, is in any circumstance under the sun, if you(we), are doing the right thing and suffering, but take that suffering patiently and keep doing right, than God will wonderfully bless us!  (He is me!)

Have a great day

22 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

1 Peter 2:17-24 

I was looking at defining 'endure' for my own growth and came to the above scripture. I understand the context as referring to government and work relationships. I wondered would it be too far a stretch to apply verse 19 to family and personal family relationships?

I mean in the ordinary difficulties of family life and or family strife. The day by day interaction with my (our) own household members.

Having been engaged in a thorough line-by-line study of 1 Peter over the past number of years (for a monthly men's Bible study) -

First, I would contend that 1 Peter 2:17 is the conclusion for the context of 1 Peter 2:13-17, concerning the our godly relationship toward ungodly government and society.

Second, I would contend that 1 Peter 2:18 then begins the paragraph of 1 Peter 2:18-25.

Third, I would contend that 1 Peter 2:18 provides specific instruction concerning a specific relationship (servants toward masters), but that 1 Peter 2:19-20 provides the GENERAL principle of godliness upon which the specific instruction of verse 18 is founded.  

Fourth, I would contend that 1 Peter 2:21-25 provides the primary example of godliness (in our Lord Jesus Christ) concerning the GENERAL principle of 1 Peter 2:19-20.

Fifth, I would contend that 1 Peter 3:1-12 provides further specific instructions concerning further specific relationships (wives toward husbands, husbands toward wives, believers toward one another), with those instructions all being founded upon the same GENERAL principle of 1 Peter 2:19-20.  (Note: This is grammatically signaled by the word "likewise" at the beginning of verse 1, the word "likewise" at the beginning of verse 7, and the word "finally" at the beginning of verse 8.)

So, in more specific answer to your question - YES, I would contend that the GENERAL principle of godliness in 1 Peter 2:19-20 can and should be applied unto ALL human relationships.