• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Eustace

Why Large Families?

I know a family of two kids and both of the kids are in trouble with the law, both having been arrested and charged with serious crimes, one has spent time I  prison, one is currently waiting in custody to see what his fate will be.

I know another family with twelve kids, and as far as I know not one of them has been in any trouble with the law, and the older ones are forging decent lives for themselves. And by the way, only the husband worked and they homeschooled all their kids, and they don't have heaps but they get by.

You wanna know what the difference is?

The  first family is unsaved - mum only just got saved a few weeks ago, praise the Lord.

The second family are a God fearing Christian family who bring up their children in the nurture and admonishion of the Lord.

You wanna make a distinction about families, there it is.

A family who loves, follows, and serves the Lord NO MATTER HOW MANY KIDS is a family who will likely keep out of trouble. Know how I know?

Pro 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Show me a verse that backs up your OPINION.

6 hours ago, swathdiver said:

That's too bad.  If they were saved the bible's way I reckon the Lord said to them, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant".

As to your last, I don't think any child can get enough of their parent's attention!  We've got an adult child with a child who still demands more time from us than her teenage sisters.

I believe that children are a gift from God and they belong to God.  We're to raise them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, as many as He wants to give us.  If we do our part, He'll provide all that is necessary.

You're entitled to your opinion, but  I'm also entitled to mine. And I'm never gonna change my opinion that God tells us when enough is enough of anything, including kids.

Yep, folks are "entitled" to their opinions...but when we bring God into it, our entitlement goes out the window. We are to follow scripture as our guide, not our opinions (which are far too often based on emotion or experience rather than scripture). IF our opinions are grounded in scripture, then great. So, robycop, while I am not denigrating your opinion (which you stated earlier is based on your experience as a cop), please do share actual scripture which gives credence to your opinion. If the Bible actually teaches that we are to only have the children which we can afford, we should all know that.  (I do want to add here, though, that I do believe God will tell each family when "enough is enough" - and that is based on the scriptural principle that God leads the husband to lead his family [well, if said husband is saved and following scripture] in the way God would have them go...of course, then it is very unlikely that children will run afoul of the law [note that I said very unlikely, not impossible...each child makes his/her own choices]. Faux Christianity breeds law breakers. True Christianity does not.)

BTW, roby, I just noticed that you are located in southern Ohio. My hubs and my son are both Buckeyes, but from the Cols area. Randy's parents are from the southern part, though. His family that still lives there live in the Pedro area. 

On 3/26/2019 at 11:02 AM, robycop3 said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but  I'm also entitled to mine. And I'm never gonna change my opinion that God tells us when enough is enough of anything, including kids.

I didn't give you my opinion as it doesn't matter.  What matters is, "Thus saith the Lord".  So you were a corpsman?  Where did you serve?

7 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I didn't give you my opinion as it doesn't matter.  What matters is, "Thus saith the Lord".  So you were a corpsman?  Where did you serve?

Aboard the DLG Wainwright.

16 hours ago, robycop3 said:

Aboard the DLG Wainwright.

Boy are you dating yourself!  She was a Destroyer Leader before June 30, 1975!  LOL  Were you part of the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club?

7 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Boy are you dating yourself!  She was a Destroyer Leader before June 30, 1975!  LOL  Were you part of the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club?

My years of service were 1966-1970. I'm age 70.

Why large families? Kids just seem to appreciate things more and tend to be closer knit in big families, from what I have observed. My great grandmother had 14 and my Mom is from a family of 10. My wife has 7 brothers and sisters. We ended up with 3 along with two miscarriages and would have had more but the last one caused my wife terrible problems with varicose veins. My wife and I love kids and I believe if you're healthy, have a houseful, but if health problems arise, STOP. Your spouse comes first.

7 hours ago, heartstrings said:

Why large families? Kids just seem to appreciate things more and tend to be closer knit in big families, from what I have observed. My great grandmother had 14 and my Mom is from a family of 10. My wife has 7 brothers and sisters. We ended up with 3 along with two miscarriages and would have had more but the last one caused my wife terrible problems with varicose veins. My wife and I love kids and I believe if you're healthy, have a houseful, but if health problems arise, STOP. Your spouse comes first.

Having a big family can cure depression, anxiety and social problems. Being an only child has made me very aware of my solitude but also more selfish. Friends are different, sometimes you can't just talk every subject with a friend. When there are very few in a family, one is left without anyone by the time they're old. Having a brother or sister is a blessing, esp one that is of the same faith. 

Be thankful if you are in great terms with your siblings, there are many of us wishing to be in your position.