Online Baptist
Login or register to remove these ads. Registration is free.
  • Welcome Guest

Tired of all the fighting that goes on in facebook groups? Are you ready for a community where you can talk about things of God and the Bible without getting branded a heretic? Well, we are glad you found us. Why don't you give us a try and see how friendly and different we are. - BroMatt

Eustace

Why Large Families?

Background: My family attends an English speaking independent fundamental Baptist church in Germany.  I am not comfortable asking certain questions at the church because I don't really think the people there are equipped to discuss many subjects on a meaningful level, and I do not want to disrupt what has become something of a social club for my wife.  My church growing up was a pre-1995 Southern Baptist one.

I've definitely noticed that having many children (4+) is a major point of pride for the church going crowd, missionaries, etc.

I am aware of the parts of Genesis where God instructs man to "be fruitful and multiply" and "fill the Earth and subdue it."  But modern interpretations of Christianity seem to decry the existence of nations and emphasize that the Kingdom of God is in heaven.  Many Christian sects push open borders and the mixing of all the peoples of the Earth.  So why do modern Christians still have large families?  And I've noted that a large majority of these large Christian families are all of the same "nation."

Some modern Christian sects are known to adopt children from Africa and push especially hard for open borders and the abolition of the nation state.  It seems logically inconsistent for modern Christians to marry within their nation and produce many children when they could marry outside of their nation and adopt disadvantaged children from Africa or other poor parts of the Earth.  So, how do you resolve this logical contradiction?  Why do modern Christians have many children when most modern interpretations of Christianity seem to preach contradictory messages?

nation (n.)

c. 1300, nacioun, "a race of people, large group of people with common ancestry and language," from Old French nacion "birth, rank; descendants, relatives; country, homeland" (12c.) and directly from Latin nationem (nominative natio) "birth, origin; breed, stock, kind, species; race of people, tribe," literally "that which has been born," from natus, past participle of nasci "be born" (Old Latin gnasci), from PIE root *gene- "give birth, beget," with derivatives referring to procreation and familial and tribal groups.

Please Login or Register for free to remove these ads.