• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Steven Anderson

• Members
6 hours ago, Paul Christian said:

Whether the word signifies capability or authority, you are clearly not speaking from a position of understanding and knowledge of the person.

Anderson preaches hard, putting the fear of God in people. If anyone has ever saved some with fear it is he. 

You don’t get 2/3 of your congregation out soul winning door to door faithfully every week without preaching against people who don’t do it. They don’t fear him, they fear Him. When the carnal meets up with the spiritual in one accord obedience ensues in the flesh. Like it or not God commands the carnal to do the spiritual work. As Paul said, “I am carnal”. 
How shall they call on him in whom they have not believed, and how shall they believe when they have not heard, and how shall they hear without a preacher? 

A form of godliness denying the power thereof is Christians who pontificate doctrine but have no feet unto power, because it is the foolishness of preaching the gospel that, to us which are saved, is the power of God.

You can apply that verse to any church you want to that doesn’t have a pastor preaching hard for soul winning, and congregants that faithfully do it every week, but not Anderson’s church, or the man himself. 

I personally rode in the Faithful Word Church van with his congregant out soul winning door to door when they drove from Phoenix AZ to Sacramento to support another soul winning church. Nobody was denying the power thereof. We had over 200 soul winners knocking doors.

The JWs do a lot of door knocking and mobilize a lot of people too. Doesn't mean they are legitimate. 

Steven Anderson teaches several false doctrines. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

The JWs do a lot of door knocking and mobilize a lot of people too. Doesn't mean they are legitimate. 

Steven Anderson teaches several false doctrines. 

Which of Anderson’s doctrines do you disdain the most? What is his most heretical teaching? 
After that, what are the several? 

• Members
2 hours ago, Paul Christian said:

Which of Anderson’s doctrines do you disdain the most? What is his most heretical teaching? 
After that, what are the several? 

1. That Sodomites cannot be saved contrary to clear passages like 1 Cor 6:9-11

2. That the church has replaced Israel- You have to literally ignore tons of Old Testament prophets and Romans 11 to come to that conclusion.

https://www.wayoflife.org/free_ebooks/downloads/What_About_Steven_Anderson.pdf

• Members
1 minute ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

1. That Sodomites cannot be saved contrary to clear passages like 1 Cor 6:9-11

2. That the church has replaced Israel- You have to literally ignore tons of Old Testament prophets and Romans 11 to come to that conclusion.

https://www.wayoflife.org/free_ebooks/downloads/What_About_Steven_Anderson.pdf

Do those doctrines detract in any way to the gospel being offered at thousands of people’s doors every week? I can assure you that they are not going to those doors to preach the reprobate doctrine, or how the Jews have been broken off due to unbelief, and their covenant waxing old and vanishing away.

Many churches are praying for revival which have no soul winning program. What are they trying to revive if the lost are not being quickened?

• Members
5 hours ago, Paul Christian said:

Do those doctrines detract in any way to the gospel being offered at thousands of people’s doors every week? I can assure you that they are not going to those doors to preach the reprobate doctrine, or how the Jews have been broken off due to unbelief, and their covenant waxing old and vanishing away.

Many churches are praying for revival which have no soul winning program. What are they trying to revive if the lost are not being quickened?

So are you suggesting that any false doctrines can be preached as long as the Gospel is right?

• Members
39 minutes ago, DaveW said:

So are you suggesting that any false doctrines can be preached as long as the Gospel is right?

No, because Calvinists teach that most of the people on earth are damned without a choice, but will present a gospel much the same as mine. Dispensationalists will teach that God only saved people by grace through faith in the "church age", and everyone else had to work for salvation, but might have the right gospel in "our age". 

The Jews being God's chosen people is only profitable to those who hold that doctrine concerning end times prophesy, because they will tell you that the Jews are damned without Christ now, but will be forced to believe on Him in the tribulation, which isn't much different than the Calvinists who believe God damns some before they are even physically born, and saves others whether they know it or not. 

Either way, end times prophesy is a distant second to preaching the gospel to the lost. I have personally offered the gospel to more sodomites than the people who hate Anderson for saying they are reprobate. The sodomites seem to know more than a lot of baptists, because they will reject the gospel by telling you they are a homo. Even though they have never read Hebrew 6, or Romans 1, they just seem to know, which makes sense, because Romans 1 says "when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, and became vain in their imaginations", and after this is when God gives them up to uncleanness, vile affections, and a reprobate mind, so that they would be deserving of death. 

It's just frustrating that baptists would be so concerned about the sodomites and Jews, that they would negate the dispensation of the gospel by those who believe different about those people. 

When people who believe different about the sodomites and Jews start doing great exploits in our time, I will join them, because what we believe about the Jews and the sodomites has nothing to do with the rest of the people who are lost in the world. 

Rev 22:11

He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

• Members
8 hours ago, Paul Christian said:

I have personally offered the gospel to more sodomites than the people who hate Anderson for saying they are reprobate.

So what?

I have heard this argument used many times by his followers and it is ridiculous, because Anderson teaches that they cannot be saved. So you are effectively bragging that you wasted your time preaching to people who by Anderson's teaching are unable to be saved. This is EXACTLY what the Calvinist does when he says that he preaches the Gospel to everyone knowing that only "the elect" (according to Calvin's corrupt doctrines) can be saved. It is MEANINGLESS.

And the majority of preachers here are concerned with two things: preaching the Gospel to the lost, and preaching doctrine to the saved, so your accusations are offensive, inaccurate, and misrepresentative. 

• Members

Romans 16:17-18 -- "Now I BESEECH YOU, brethren, MARK THEM which cause divisions and offenses CONTRARY TO THE DOCTRINE which ye have learned; AND AVOID THEM.  For they that are such SERVE NOT OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches DECEIVE THE HEARTS OF THE SIMPLE."

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Among his many false teachings, Pastor Anderson teaches the Pentecostal doctrine that the Lord Jesus suffered for our sins in hell. The Charismatics teach that the suffering of Christ on the Cross of Calvary was not enough for the redemption of our souls.

The video is made by a friend of ours, brother Brian Snider, Madison Baptist Church, in Madison, Alabama.

Video by Brian Snider debunking the Charismatic doctrine, "Jesus Paid for Our Sins in Hell" and taught by Steven Anderson.

Edited by Alan
grammar

• Members

I am currently dealing with a man who spends more time listening to internet theologians than being around good christian influence - including coming to church. He is listening to "good independent baptist preachers" (his words), but I know from his current directions that he is primarily being influenced by Anderson and his disciples. The things he is coming up with are clear, and although he doesn't realise it, dangerous. And his family will be damaged by it, but there is apparently nothing I can do to convince him.

He believes everything Anderson says, but questions every statement I make.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Steven Anderson has promoted that there is no repentance of sin for the unsaved people and he insists that repentance of sin is a work.  Where did he get the idea that repentance of sin is a work.. He would go to Jonah 3: 10, and it states:  

And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.
(Jonah 3:10 KJV)

Now according to Steven Anderson's interpretation together with his buddy Roger Jimenez that repentance of sin is a work because the verse states, "God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way".  He equates works with repentance of sin and concluded that repentance of sin is a work.  But if we based it on the Greek Metanoia, it is not a work, rather a change of mind.  God did not work when he changed his mind of bringing evil punishment to Nineveh.  Then why does he think that repentance is a work when God did not work, he just changed his mind and intention.  When the people of Nineveh changed their minds from doing evil deeds, it was not a work, rather the work is the result of repentance.  In Jonah 3:5, When the people believed God, there was already repentance involved since repentance precedes faith according to Acts 20:21.  The proclaiming of fast, and the putting on of sackloth in verse 5 is the manifestation of repentance, that is the work.  Works are products of true repentance and faith as in James chapter 2.   The proposition of Steven Anderson, Roger Jimenez and others, is that when you see the word faith, believe in Ephesians and John is that they do not involve repentance or repentance of sin.  When we see Ephesians 2:8-9, John 3: 16 etc.. it does not mean that it is without hearing, repentance because Jesus preached repentance and faith and we believe there is only one gospel, and that the gospel of John and at the time of Paul is not a different gospel.  They would say look at your bible apps and see if you can find repentance of sin in the Bible.   But they do not understand that sin is transgression of the law (1 John 3:4). And there are many commands in the Bible where the wicked is commanded to turn from all their transgressions.   Ezek. 18:30-31 says: 

Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin. Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
(Ezekiel 18:30-31 KJV)

Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
(Ezekiel 33:11 KJV)

Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
(Isaiah 55:7 KJV)

I think the problem lies with their interpretation of the statements or phrases "turn from his way", "turn ye form your evil ways", "Forsake his way, his thoughts" and they interpret this to mean "STOP SINNING" "QUIT SINNING" OR WORK.   Actually this does not mean WORK or Quit sinning, but it means a DECISION of changing one's mind concerning sin.   There is really a big error in their interpretation to this because these people that were commanded to turn from evil ways or forsake his way and thoughts were unsaved.  Whereas the doctrine of Anderson is that repent of your sins is for the saved already.   And they will try to reason out that Isaiah 55: 7 is speaking about physical destruction and salvation whereas it is very clear that the Lord is speaking about abundance of forgiveness, and certainly a person who is forgiven is saved.  In fact in Isaiah 55:3 is clear when it says hear and your soul shall live, that is salvation.   

So what about Jonah 3:10?  The works there refers to the fruit of repentance just as the work of Abraham in Gen.22:12 is the manifestation of his faith.  Also in James 2: 18 that works is the manifestation of living faith.   John the Baptist said in Mat. 3: 8, bring forth therefore fruit meet for repentance.   You do not know if the volcano is active until it erupts or there comes out smoke.  A good man out of the good treasure bring forth good fruit. See Matthew 12:33-35.  So the work that is mentioned in Jonah chapter 3: 10 is not the repentance but the evidence of repentance.  Just like Abraham when he was tested the angel said:  "Now I know that thou fearest God seeing seeing thou hast not witheld thy son, thine only son from me" (Gen. 22:12).  It does not mean that God does not know the faith of Abraham, but God wants an active or living faith that produces works.  Active not in the sense that faith requires action to be called faith but that act of the will is only in the inner soul, not a physical action.  We have three faculties of the soul which are intellect, emotion, and will, and for the will to be affected, the emotion must be affected first by the intellect.   2 Cor. 7:10 says "godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation".   Repentance therefore is a change of mind and heart toward God concerning sin.  No one would ever need a Saviour if the sinner loves sin and does not want deliverance.  A person in who fell into a quick sand must realize first that he is in a quick sand and in danger of drowning so that he would feel the need of someone to save him.   It is the work of the Holy Spirit to convict men of sin, righteousness and judgment John 16: 8.  Mark 2: 17 teaches that Jesus did not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.   Those who think that they have no sin to repent of, are self righteous and disqualifies themselves in Christ salvation.   The work of the Holy Spirit is to convict men of sin so that they will be guilty and admit that they are sinners and such would bring them burden in their hearts so that they would call on the Lord like the publican "God be merciful to me a sinner".   A person who is self righteous does not need mercy.  If your friend or your wife or husband did you a grave sin of infidelity and would not admit his/her sin, and is not sorry about it but would just say anyway I believe in you, would relationship be restored?  True faith involves repentance and if you find verses where it does not mention hear, repent, that is understood that it includes them.   We believe in salvation by faith alone but it does not mean without grace.   So If you interpret John 6: 47 because you just see believe it does not mean apart from grace and without repentance.  

• Members

The idea that there is no repentance of sin in salvation is because of their misunderstanding of Jonah 3: 10 which states:  

And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.
(Jonah 3:10 KJV)

Anderson and Jimenez interpreted this to mean that repentance is a work.  This is the only verse they have to support that repentance is a work.  However the passage does not say that repentance is a work.  

In Matthew 21:28-29 it says: 

But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard. He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went. (Matthew 21:28-29 KJV)

The word, repented is not the action word "went".  Where did he go?  He went to work in the field.  When he went to work in the field of his father, that is the work, but the word repented is not the work.  It means a change of mind, since he did not obey his father but later on he changed his mind, decided to obey.  The question, is it possible for the father to know and see that his first son is working in the field?  Yes, because he went to work.   Now if we make the same statement similar to Jonah 3: 10, because the problem of Anderson and Jimenez is their understanding of the verse, and it is about English grammar.   So if there is a similar statement based on the true story of Matthew 21:28-29, and if you know the story how do you think you would understand the passage?  

If I make a statement like this similar to Jonah 3: 10:    "And the father saw his son's work that he repented from disobedience"  how would the readers understand it? 

Does it mean that the elder brother worked in order to repent or does it mean that he repented that is why he worked? 

Does it mean that the father saw that repentance is a work or he saw his son's work because he repented?  

The statement in Jonah 3: 10 is this, "And God saw their works, THAT they turned from their evil way..." 

The problem is because of their misunderstanding of the word "THAT".  

The Hebrew word of THAT is "Ki" and that can mean "for", "when", or "because".  

The Hebrew word "KI" was translated "for" 2373 times in the kjv Bible.  

It was translated "because" 477 times. 

It was translated "in that" 3 times.  

It was translated "when" 216 times.  

An example is in Genesis 26:20, the Hebrew word "ki" was translated as "because":

And the herdmen of Gerar did strive with Isaac's herdmen, saying, The water is ours: and he called the name of the well Esek; because they strove with him.
(Genesis 26:20 KJV)

There seems to be a similar statement since "called" is past tense just like "saw" in Jonah 3:10 and "strove" is also past tense.  The word "because" is the english transliteration of the hebrew word "ki" which is the same Hebrew word used in Jonah 3: 10 translated as "that".  So if you would understand the word "that" to mean because of based on the Hebrew word, then you will not think that it is saying that their works is the repentance of sins.  Rather you would think that the work is the result of their repentance of sin.  Just like in Genesis, they did not call the well as Esek in order for them to strive for it.  Rather they strove with him first and that is the reason why they call it Esek.  In Jonah 3: 10 God saw their works because they repented of their sins.  If their repentance and faith is not real, then they would have nothing to show according to James 2:18.   Work is the manifestation of repentance and faith. The putting of sackloth is the manifestation that they already repented and believed in Jonah 3: 5.  Just like in the case of Abraham, in Genesis 22: 12:  The Lord through the angel said:  "Now I know..."  because of his work.  God does not want us to have a kind of faith that is dead faith, rather God wants us to have living faith , or true faith that produces works.  See James 2.