• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Doubting Salvation

*Light*

• Members

Why do so many Christians doubt their Salvation if God's promises are never to be broken? It concerns me a great deal that there are many genuine Christians who are indeed saved but feel as if they're not at times.

Verily, verily, I say unto you. He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath [present tense] everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed [perfect tense] from death unto life. (John 5:24) 

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know [perfect tense] that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. (1 John 5:13)

The "perfect tense" in the Greek refers to a completed action that no longer needs to be repeated. The above verses is a guarantee that we can know (at the present moment) that we possess Eternal Life; and that it is a "done" deal. Christian's have doubts, many believers do have them. In my observation and experience, this is a result of a failure to grow spiritually after being saved, and allowing instead the influences of the world to intrude and compromise the basic truths that attend to salvation and the ministry of the Spirit (Jn. 15:5; Col. 1:9-10; Tit. 2:11-14; Heb. 5:12-14; 1 Pet. 2:1-25; 2 Pet. 1:5-8; 3:17-18; 1 Jn. 2:15-17). That is not the same thing as apostasy, however. But it does mean that such a believer is vulnerable. In fact, we are all vulnerable when we are not vigilantly pursuing spiritual growth. When we are making it a habit to pray, read our Bibles, and attend to solid Bible teaching -- and believe it -- we find that doubts receded as we grow closer to Jesus Christ (cf. Rom. 1:11-12; 2 Cor. 8:7; 10:15; Col. 2:5-7; 2 Thess. 1:3; Heb. 13:7; et al.). The clearer He is to our spiritual vision, the less there is to doubt. If we are keeping our eyes on Him, we are not going to sink no matter how rough the sea and waves and no matter how strong the wind, but if we let our vision stray away from Him and towards the threats around us, we will begin to sink straightaway . . . and will find ourselves streaking back to the boat (Isa. 26:3; Ps. 119:37; Prov. 29:18; 1 Cor. 10:13; Eph. 1:18; Phil. 3:14; Heb. 12:1-2). And there is no progress in the boat. How do we mature believers have certainty? We believe the truth we have learned much more than what our eyes see, what our ears hear, and what our feelings feel. We believe the Word of God.

God Bless!