• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Possible solutions to problems

• Members

I wasn't sure where to post this, but it seems as of late we have had problems with false teachers coming here on this board to spread their false doctrine. It is rather frustrating that we cannot seem to get people to identify their religious background. 

I was wondering if it's possible to restrict a person to the "Ask a Baptist a question forum" until they reveal their religious denomination and affiliation? It would be nice if they had to get a mod approval on this before they can post. It's rather frustrating when people come here and refuse to identify themselves.

Another possibility would just be to add a rule that gives an instant ban to those who refuse to or evade giving their religious affiliation or denomination.

I am just trying to think of ways we can prevent shady people from coming in here trying to teach. 

• Members

I agree with what Jordan said above: That any visiting member should disclose as to what denomination or religious sect that they are associated with. Someone can be part of an organized cult right under our noses and we can be completely oblivious to it. I try not to pass judgment on anyone unless their "fruits" clearly show that they are part of a cult -- or not. The word "cult" in English (of Latin derivation) is not a technical term in which some may understand it as. And it doesn't matter in any case because God deals with everyone as an individual. He can be a member of a Bible believing, Bible teaching group but he will not go to heaven if he does not believe in Jesus Christ. He can be sucked into a cult as a believer, but he will not go to hell if he dies with his faith in Jesus Christ still intact ( a "sign" of a TRUE believer). The issue is Jesus Christ. Believers are saved. Unbelievers are not saved.     

He that believeth oh him is not condemned: but [he that believeth not is condemned already], because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. (John 3:18)

There are only two religions in this world: One by "human" achievement; and the other by "Divine" accomplishment (cf. Jn. 4:10; Rom. 5:15; 6:23; 10:9-10; Eph. 1:7; Col. 1:20-22; 2 Cor. 9:15; Gal. 1:4; 3:13; 1 Pet. 1:18-19). Keeping the commandments out of our love for God, and keeping the commandments to earn Salvation are as far as east is from the west. And all works-based Salvation is putting the cart before the horse -- and pride is usually the culprit behind such false religions. Our Lord's words above are pretty clear, it seems to me. Without a detailed interrogation, we cannot know if a person X who is a nominal Mormon or Jehovah's Witness believes in Jesus Christ or not. I actually met several "Catholics" (although rare, and by "name" ONLY) that truly believed in Salvation by Grace through Faith. One would think that a person of legitimate faith would be repulsed by that works-based religion and flee. But it is also true that people do not necessarily believe the teachings of the groups to which they belong. If a person does not believe that they are saved through faith in Jesus Christ and thus do not believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior, that He is the God-man who died for their sins and that have accepted that Gift by grace through faith alone, then said person is NOT a believer, and only believers are saved. It's not a good sign whenever someone is involved in organized religion and some forms of that (like the one mentioned above) are clearly worse than others from the standpoint of salvation and spiritual growth. But in terms of being a believer or not, that is the fundamental question, and unless the person tells us -- and tells us the truth -- only the Lord can know that.

God Bless!

• Members

The majority of forums out there, mostly non-religious, have restrictions in place for new comers. For example, a dog forum I'm a part of has a rule that new comers are restricted to the "introduction" thread for their first post, and then are limited to a certain number of posts for a limited time (about two weeks, some are a month) to prevent flooding of the forums, which is an instant suspension if any one does it, new comer or otherwise.  A rabbit forum I''m a part of has restrictions on giving health advice, their rules for what can and can not be posted are clearly outlined. Sometimes people come on and start spouting health advice that is actually harmful to rabbits and shows their lack of education in rabbit health. When asked for credentials, they refuse and just like all false teachers, attack those concerned about the dangerous advice being given. Threads like those are closed immediately and the op either suspended or banned, sometimes before anyone has a chance to post a reply to the op.   I think this site could benefit from restrictions similar to those. 

• Members

This sort of thing has been discussed before and I am 100% certain that the mods/admins appreciate the suggestions.

I can tell you that the mod group have and are considering things in relation to this issue. I made a suggestion privately and have been told they are.

Without wanting to discourage people from making suggestions (someone may come up with the perfect solution), I want to ask people to ALSO be aware that our mods are on the job - they are not ignoring it.

(And I also do not suggest anyone in this thread is being critical of the mods).

• Members

So far the suggestions are fine with me and I agree something must be done to prevent more false teachers having a field day in spreading their false teachings on OnLineBaptist. I for one am tired of these false teachers and their deliberate practice of ignoring reasonable questions.

To me it sounds reasonable to ask for a religious affiliation. As Jordan mentioned, it is very frustrating when you do not know the religious affiliation. Most false teachers will not give background information on purpose in order to deceive. 

As Rebecca mentioned, a new person should have some restrictions. Such as: Giving a believable testimony of salvation. A limited number of posts, or length of posts, or areas of posting, for a limited amount of time is also a good idea. 

For me personally, it would be helpful if there was a mechanism for the originator of a study to be able to ask a person to either leave the study, or give restrictions on another persons participation in the study. I understand this would be difficult. But I have had individuals on my studies where I felt they deliberately caused dissension in order to try and make me get irritated, cause me embarrassment in order for me to cease my lessons, or get the study blocked. I fully understand that this is the purview of the moderators. I am only seeking a mechanism to prevent a study being deliberately derailed by a malcontent. 

As Dave mentioned, the moderators have had a difficult task in balancing the contents of OnLineBaptist and are considering options available in order to make our discussions more amicable and worthy to be read.

I would like to thank the moderators for the great job here on OnLineBaptist. All of them are worthy of our support and agreement in whatever they decide (if anything).

Alan

• Administrators

There are features within the formatting of this board to limit, or deter things of this sort. I would have to leave that aspect up to BroMatt Although I am an administrator and can actually implement these features, I feel that since BroMatt is the board owner it should be his call.

Hopefully he will see what we have been concerned about and weigh in with his input.

• Members

I don't mind new people having some freedom to post several topics in the general forums so we get a general idea of their doctrine and demeanor and so they can get a feel for becoming an active member but when some one posts 20+ new main topics their first few days with each one pages long like this EvangAlived person.....pretty excessive. 

• Members
3 minutes ago, John Young said:

I don't mind new people having some freedom to post several topics in the general forums so we get a general idea of their doctrine and demeanor and so they can get a feel for becoming an active member but when some one posts 20+ new main topics their first few days with each one pages long like this EvangAlived person.....pretty excessive. 

Something like 76 post in 72 hours......

I know that over years I have been on forums that have new member restrictions such as no pictures until a certain post count, no "for sale posts" until a certain time on the board (Car based forums - stops people joining just so they can post a free add, then never again).

There are many possibilities, but not all of them are even available on all forum software, so there are limitations there.

And even limiting post length can be sidetracked by posting  loads and loads of shorter posts.

I think ideally there would be away to stop people posting "teaching" type threads until they are established members, but how to do that is the issue.

Personally, I think that an addition to the rules regarding "teaching" on this forum would be a good start, but I don't really know how to word it so that it would be workable. It does need to include something about the affiliation of any prospective teacher though - it is not unreasonable to expect to know the doctrinal background of any prospective teacher - I know this is not a church, but as a community many of the rules would apply, and not one of us would let an unknown take a pulpit at the church we attend. (And we assume our Pastor has done that check for us!)

• Members
13 minutes ago, DaveW said:

Something like 76 post in 72 hours......

Wow, that many? I wasn't counting. I think maybe limiting the ability to create new main post to like one or two a day but still be able to comment on the forum would be reasonable for most new members. Even regular members hardly ever post more than a few new topics. Even our teachers here don't open new topics very often. Usually if there were more than one or two in a day it was by a false teacher trying to overwhelm the forum and had no real interest in actually teaching or clearly answering honest questions.

• Members
10 minutes ago, John Young said:

Wow, that many? I wasn't counting. I think maybe limiting the ability to create new main post to like one or two a day but still be able to comment on the forum would be reasonable for most new members. Even regular members hardly ever post more than a few new topics. Even our teachers here don't open new topics very often. Usually if there were more than one or two in a day it was by a false teacher trying to overwhelm the forum and had no real interest in actually teaching or clearly answering honest questions.

I was interested at how long he had been a member when I noticed that his post count was 76 - so I visited his profile and his joined date was three days earlier - it may actually have been less than 72 hours, but that is three days total.

I was blown away by it too...…:4_6_4:

• Members

I certainly hope and pray that this man's heart is not hardened at this time. It grieves me to know that those who refuse to repent from their sins and false doctrines end up in a Christless and Eternal hell.  Tomorrow isn't guaranteed for anyone, and if this man's heart is still soft . . . then he should use this opportunity to humble himself before the Lord.

And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. (Luke 18:9-14)

God Bless!

Edited by (Omega)

• 2 years later...
  • Members
On 10/26/2018 at 1:51 AM, DaveW said:

I was interested at how long he had been a member when I noticed that his post count was 76 - so I visited his profile and his joined date was three days earlier - it may actually have been less than 72 hours, but that is three days total.

I was blown away by it too...

hmm.    In conversation in person,  don'y you yourself sometimes produce 100 sentences within as little as an hour or two ?   If you put that in writing (posting),  you could easily post 100 posts in just a few hours.   For a new person,  or an active person,  interested in the subjects, topics, threads and posts available,   replying is even easier than coming up with new subjects,   and helps find others of like spirit, of like mind,  and reveal those who are contrary.