• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Jesus - the I AM statements of the New Testament

• Members
Exo 3:14  And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

Exo 3:14 HOT  ויאמר אלהים אל־משׁה אהיה אשׁר אהיה ויאמר כה תאמר לבני ישׂראל אהיה שׁלחני אליכם׃

Exo 3:14 so-called LXX *(Brenton's) καὶ εἶπεν ὁ θεὸς πρὸς Μωυσῆν Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν· καὶ εἶπεν Οὕτως ἐρεῖς τοῖς υἱοῖς Ισραηλ Ὁ ὢν ἀπέσταλκέν με πρὸς ὑμᾶς.

More may be seen here - http://www.pearltrees.com/awhn/sanctuary-psalms-thy-way-god/id14724670

I AM the Bread of Life

Joh_6:35  And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Joh 6:35  ειπεν δε αυτοις ο ιησους εγω ειμι ο αρτος της ζωης ο ερχομενος προς με ου μη πειναση και ο πιστευων εις εμε ου μη διψηση πωποτε

Joh 6:41  The Jews then murmured at him, because he said, I am the bread which came down from heaven.

Joh_6:41  εγογγυζον ουν οι ιουδαιοι περι αυτου οτι ειπεν εγω ειμι ο αρτος ο καταβας εκ του ουρανου

Joh_6:48  I am that bread of life.

Joh 6:48  εγω ειμι ο αρτος της ζωης

Joh_6:51  I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

Joh 6:51  εγω ειμι ο αρτος ο ζων ο εκ του ουρανου καταβας εαν τις φαγη εκ τουτου του αρτου ζησεται εις τον αιωνα και ο αρτος δε ον εγω δωσω η σαρξ μου εστιν ην εγω δωσω υπερ της του κοσμου ζωης

I AM the Light of the World:

Joh_8:12  Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

Joh 8:12  παλιν ουν ο ιησους αυτοις ελαλησεν λεγων εγω ειμι το φως του κοσμου ο ακολουθων εμοι ου μη περιπατησει εν τη σκοτια αλλ εξει το φως της ζωης

Joh_9:5  As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

Joh 9:5  οταν εν τω κοσμω ω φως ειμι του κοσμου

I AM One that Bear Witness of Myself:

Joh 8:18  I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me.

Joh_8:18  εγω ειμι ο μαρτυρων περι εμαυτου και μαρτυρει περι εμου ο πεμψας με πατηρ

I AM before Abraham:

Joh_8:24  I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

Joh 8:24  ειπον ουν υμιν οτι αποθανεισθε εν ταις αμαρτιαις υμων εαν γαρ μη πιστευσητε οτι εγω ειμι αποθανεισθε εν ταις αμαρτιαις υμων

Joh_8:58  Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Joh 8:58  ειπεν αυτοις ο ιησους αμην αμην λεγω υμιν πριν αβρααμ γενεσθαι εγω ειμι

I AM the Crucified One:

Joh_8:28  Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

Joh 8:28  ειπεν ουν αυτοις ο ιησους οταν υψωσητε τον υιον του ανθρωπου τοτε γνωσεσθε οτι εγω ειμι και απ εμαυτου ποιω ουδεν αλλα καθως εδιδαξεν με ο πατηρ μου ταυτα λαλω

I AM the Door (Sanctuary; Psalms 77:13):

Joh_10:7  Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

Joh 10:7  ειπεν ουν παλιν αυτοις ο ιησους αμην αμην λεγω υμιν οτι εγω ειμι η θυρα των προβατων

Joh_10:9  I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

Joh 10:9  εγω ειμι η θυρα δι εμου εαν τις εισελθη σωθησεται και εισελευσεται και εξελευσεται και νομην ευρησει

I AM the Good Shepherd:

Joh_10:11  I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

Joh 10:11  εγω ειμι ο ποιμην ο καλος ο ποιμην ο καλος την ψυχην αυτου τιθησιν υπερ των προβατων

Joh 10:14  I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

Joh 10:14  εγω ειμι ο ποιμην ο καλος και γινωσκω τα εμα και γινωσκομαι υπο των εμων

I AM the Resurrection and the Life:

Joh_11:25  Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

Joh 11:25  ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται

I AM the Way, the Truth and the Life:

Joh_14:6  Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Joh 14:6  λεγει αυτω ο ιησους εγω ειμι η οδος και η αληθεια και η ζωη ουδεις ερχεται προς τον πατερα ει μη δι εμου

I AM the True Vine:

Joh_15:1  I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

Joh 15:1  εγω ειμι η αμπελος η αληθινη και ο πατηρ μου ο γεωργος εστιν

Joh_15:5  I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Joh 15:5  εγω ειμι η αμπελος υμεις τα κληματα ο μενων εν εμοι καγω εν αυτω ουτος φερει καρπον πολυν οτι χωρις εμου ου δυνασθε ποιειν ουδεν

I AM -

Joh 18:5  They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them.

Joh_18:5  απεκριθησαν αυτω ιησουν τον ναζωραιον λεγει αυτοις ο ιησους εγω ειμι ειστηκει δε και ιουδας ο παραδιδους αυτον μετ αυτων

Joh_18:6  As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.

Joh 18:6  ως ουν ειπεν αυτοις οτι εγω ειμι απηλθον εις τα οπισω και επεσον χαμαι

Joh_18:8  Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he: if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way:

Joh 18:8  απεκριθη ο ιησους ειπον υμιν οτι εγω ειμι ει ουν εμε ζητειτε αφετε τουτους υπαγειν

Joh_13:19  Now I tell you before it come, that, when it is come to pass, ye may believe that I am he.

Joh 13:19  απ αρτι λεγω υμιν προ του γενεσθαι ινα οταν γενηται πιστευσητε οτι εγω ειμι

Joh 6:20  But he saith unto them, It is I; be not afraid.

Joh_6:20  ο δε λεγει αυτοις εγω ειμι μη φοβεισθε

I AM (Bonus) - The first person He said it to, A Samaritan Woman at the Well:

Joh_4:26  Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.

Joh 4:26  λεγει αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι ο λαλων σοι
Edited by EvangAlived

• Members
11 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Is there a point ...? if here is I am missing it.

Hey brother Jim_Alaska.  Of course there is a point in sharing the material as cited in OP.

In studying I found a really neat statement in John 4:26, and got to see the many times that Jesus referred to Himself in this way.  What appealed to me the most in John 4:26, is that the Samaritan woman represents (1 Cor. 15:46) in anti-type, Laodicea (Revelation 3:16).

Thank you for asking.

Edited by EvangAlived

• Members
11 minutes ago, EvangAlived said:

Hey brother Jim_Alaska.  Of course there is a point in sharing the material as cited in OP.

In studying I found a really neat statement in John 4:26, and got to see the many times that Jesus referred to Himself in this way.  What appealed to me the most in John 4:26, is that the Samaritan woman represents (1 Cor. 15:46) in anti-type, Laodicea (Revelation 3:16).

Thank you for asking.

There is no indication in either John 4 nor in Revelation 3 of any type or anti-type.

Any chance you could show the basis for your statement?

• Members
32 minutes ago, DaveW said:

There is no indication in either John 4 nor in Revelation 3 of any type or anti-type.

Any chance you could show the basis for your statement?

Sure brother DaveW.  Would you mind if I ask you some questions to think about, and in that way you may reach the same conclusion on your own?

• Members

Ummm - no need for you to ask me questions - this is a fairly simple matter for you to show...…..

You are the one making the assertions, any answers to questions that I can give you will have no affect on your reasoning.

It is after all YOUR REASONING that I am seeking......

• Members
2 hours ago, DaveW said:

Ummm - no need for you to ask me questions - this is a fairly simple matter for you to show...…..

You are the one making the assertions, any answers to questions that I can give you will have no affect on your reasoning.

It is after all YOUR REASONING that I am seeking......

I will ask anyway, even as Jesus asked those who came to him for answers.  Jesus wanted them to have the answers.

In Revelation 3:16, the scripture uses the word "lukewarm"How does one get "lukewarm"?

In John 4:7 Jesus meets a "woman of Samaria"What is a "Samaritan"?

Now for some helpful hints as you think upon the questions asked:

In Revelation 17:15, "waters" are identified as "peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues", and this is seen through the rest of scripture as well (for instance:  Isaiah 17:12; Psalms 1:1-2 (along with Jude 1:13), 77:19).

In scripture a "woman" (represents a 'city' or religious body, whether true (Rev. 12) or false (Rev 17)), see Jeremiah 3:14,20, 6:2; Ephesians 5:32; Revelation 17:18; Hosea 1:2, 2:2 and so on (Isaiah 54:5, 61:10, 62:5; 2 Corinthians 11:1; Ephesians 5:23-32; Song of Solomon 4:9,10,12, 5:1,2; Revelation 19:7, 21:2,3,9).

Jesus finds (comes across) this woman outside of the city, thus in a wilderness area by a well.

Jesus, being Israel, is Israel's (Overcomer's) Well, but asks the "woman"

Joh 4:7  There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.

What was Jesus asking for?  The same thing He desired on the Cross:

Joh_19:28  After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.

What was it?  Natural water?  No.  Jesus was asking for living Faith:

Mat_25:35  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Mat_25:42  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

Again, "water" is also symbolic of "faith":

Joh_6:35  And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Did Jesus get His hunger & thirst quenched with the woman at the well?

Joh 4:32  But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of.

Joh 4:39  And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did.
Joh 4:40  So when the Samaritans were come unto him, they besought him that he would tarry with them: and he abode there two days.
Joh 4:41  And many more believed because of his own word;

• Members

drawing long straws, and refusing to answer plainly.

Why don't you give some reason to trust you?

All you have done so far is posted at least some false teaching, some very vague assertions that are apparently not backed up by the Scriptures you post, refuse to answer a number of very reasonable questions, and refuse to give your affiliations, and flood the forum  with so much information that it is impossible to follow it all.

GIVE US A REASON TO TRUST YOU, because so far you give us no reason at all.

You give us reason by your method, your reluctance, and your plainly false statements (in a few cases), to doubt you.

Give us some reason to trust you......

• Moderators
10 hours ago, EvangAlived said:

I will ask anyway, even as Jesus asked those who came to him for answers.  Jesus wanted them to have the answers.

Um, that's actually kind of rude, EvangAlived.  Someone asks you a question, you agree to answer, and then refuse to actually answer?  Be honest and stop playing games. 

• Members
7 hours ago, Salyan said:

Someone asks you a question, you agree to answer, and then refuse to actually answer?

Remember, I stated that scripture is my final authority in all matters of faith and practice.

Mar_11:29  And Jesus answered and said unto them, I will also ask of you one question, and answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things.

Jesus is my example with those of hard hearts.

While ye are of your father ...

• Moderators
16 hours ago, EvangAlived said:

Remember, I stated that scripture is my final authority in all matters of faith and practice.

Mar_11:29  And Jesus answered and said unto them, I will also ask of you one question, and answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things.

Jesus is my example with those of hard hearts.

While ye are of your father ...

Okay, I'm letting this through moderation so it can be Warned about. As per the rules, No swearing or derogatory terms are permitted. Calling someone 'of the devil' (especially a presumed fellow believer) is not permitted.  And as per standard practice, when a thread degrades to this extent, it gets closed. And hey, you might want to be nicer to me. Apparently I'm the only mod letting your posts through right now. ?