• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

American Theology

• Members

The page came up for me.

The site does not tell hardly anything about the author of the site though.

It does seem to promote the teachings of R. C. Sproul by giving out the book: "Everyone’s a Theologian, by R.C. Sproul."

• Moderators

Hmm... maybe it's with your permissions. It's working on my computer.

The research centre is Calvinist, but I have no issue with their collection of information or the overview. It's pretty straight forward and doesn't appear to be impacted by that specific doctrine.

• Members

The home page of this article, "American Theology," is the home page of R. C. Sproul and the, "Reformation Bible College." Here is the link: https://www.ligonier.org/

The percentage facts  presented in the "Biblical Knowledge" in the article is correct, "but," and it is an important "but," they are looking at the percentages in  an effort to get church members to accept Reformation Theology as accepted biblical fact.

Any IFB church, that has mature, spiritual brethren for members, for many years, has known by personal experience that the hypocrisy, and the lack of biblical knowledge is rampant in most churches, especially denominational churches, and in the evangelical leaders in America.

It is my thoughts that the article was written by the folks of "Ligonier" to promote the doctrines of Reformation Theology through the works of R. C. Sproul.

Edited by Alan
corrected a phrase grammer

• Members

The data is interesting. In fact, I am glad that you shared it. It piqued my interest in several ways.

If the data was a "stand alone" polling data from a neutral polling institute I think it would be more of a benefit to us all.

And, I think if they defined the terminology, "evangelical" in the first set of polling data it would be more beneficial. The definition of Sproul, and his associates, of who, or what, an evangelical is may be quite different from my definition. I did look at some of the authors on the website (not very many so my thoughts may be skewed), on the 'Devotional' section of the website and I found that most of them are Presbyterian or Independent Presbyterian.

As I stated before, after reading more of the ligonier.org website, I am of the persuasion they organized the polling data to promote R. C. Sproul and the Ligonier ministry.

Edited by Alan
grammar

• Administrators

From what little I cared to read on that site I can honestly say that I wouldn't waste my time reading more.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 
 16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. 
 17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; 
 18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.