• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Biblical response to KJV attacks

• Members

A recent thread started here, reminded me of the fierce attacks that I have faced on other parts of the internet, over the subject of the infallibility of the KJB.  I choose the word “infallible”, because it means “incapable of error”; And that just about settles the whole issue of God's Word.

I recently recalled one of these fierce arguments(discussions) that was taking place, between me and all the doubters that always came out of the woodwork, on such occasions where I had taken a stand for the preservation God’s Word; And they were using the argument that “they must be right”, because “ all the contemporary Biblical scholarship”, agreed with their position!  As if to say, that this settled it.

Then I pointed out to them, that “these days, scholars can not be trusted”!  Because the Bible says....
“But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.” (2 Timothy 3:13)
Pointing out, that as time passes, everything that “man says or thinks", will become less and less dependable.

But recently, I came back by this verse, and discovered that it pertained to this issue, more directly than I had realized, because if it’s context.  It is just 3 verses away from....
(2 Timothy 3:16-17)
V.16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
V.17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Sure enough, the Lord warns us about “evil men deceiving us”, in the same breath that He assures us, that His Word is PERFECT!

We should all realize, that this is a subject, that is worthy of heated discussion.

• Members

Donald,

Keep up the good work.

In the English language, the Authorized Version, commonly called the King James Version of 1611, is the preserved word of God. As far as I am concerned, it is perfect in every way.

The newer versions, every one them since 1881, are all corrupt.

The scholars, and those who think they are scholars, who try and nit-pick the so-called errors of the AV, are in error.

Sometimes, not all the time, I think some of them, not all of them, are like the Pharisees of old who tried to find fault with the Lord Jesus. The Pharisees tried to question His character, His birth, His calling, His relationship with the Father, and nit-picked at His words on numerous occasions. The Lord Jesus said, "Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel." Matthew 23:24 From the Westcott and Hort translators to this day,  folks try and nit-pick words out the Authorized Version to fit their own preconceived notions, denominational bias, and 'gnat' like problems with the AV.

As far as foreign languages are concerned, a missionary can take the AV and translate from it and the Lord will bless his efforts.

Alan

Edited by Alan
doubled word

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 10/8/2018 at 4:51 AM, Alan said:

Donald,

Keep up the good work.

In the English language, the Authorized Version, commonly called the King James Version of 1611, is the preserved word of God. As far as I am concerned, it is perfect in every way.

The newer versions, every one them since 1881, are all corrupt.

The scholars, and those who think they are scholars, who try and nit-pick the so-called errors of the AV, are in error.

Sometimes, not all the time, I think some of them, not all of them, are like the Pharisees of old who tried to find fault with the Lord Jesus. The Pharisees tried to question His character, His birth, His calling, His relationship with the Father, and nit-picked at His words on numerous occasions. The Lord Jesus said, "Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel." Matthew 23:24 From the Westcott and Hort translators to this day,  folks try and nit-pick words out the Authorized Version to fit their own preconceived notions, denominational bias, and 'gnat' like problems with the AV.

As far as foreign languages are concerned, a missionary can take the AV and translate from it and the Lord will bless his efforts.

Alan

I think God would definitely bless a translation from the AV. However, there may be things lost in translation that the language you are translating into could better handle from the Hebrew or Greek. For example, Hebrew pronouns have 2nd person masculine and feminine, which is not translatable into English, in English, it is just the generic thee, thou, you, or ye. However, if you were translating into a language that had 2nd person masculine or singular, you would need to go back to the Hebrew to see how to translate the pronouns. Some languages might not have a generic non-gender specific 2nd person pronoun, therefore it would be basically very difficult to translate accurately only from English. 

There are some amount of features in Greek and Hebrew that are not translatable into English but could be possibly translated into other language, it just depends on the features of the language you are translating into. I do however think a translation from the AV can still be something that God blesses, but in my opinion, that is not ideal or best. 

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members

Good morning Jordan Kurecki

I also appreciate your response.  I see the importance of doing a through study of God’s Word(in it’s original languages), and I frequently turn to my old Strong’s concordance to see the true definitions of the Words of Scripture.

But..... I remember all the years I successfully studied the Bible, before I even knew about Strong’s concordance.  At which point, I am reminded of 1 John 2:27
"But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."

The LORD has seen fit, to make His Word totally accessible to every believer(by way of His indwelling Holy Spirit), Regardless of there higher education or knowledge of the original languages.  For sure, a better understanding of the words of the Bible in it’s original language, if helpful and useful; But it is not necessary.

At this point, I am also reminded of 1 Corinthians 1:27.

Have a great day

• 2 months later...
  • Members
On 10/7/2018 at 9:03 PM, Donald said:

But recently, I came back by this verse, and discovered that it pertained to this issue, more directly than I had realized, because if it’s context.  It is just 3 verses away from....
(2 Timothy 3:16-17)
V.16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
V.17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Sure enough, the Lord warns us about “evil men deceiving us”, in the same breath that He assures us, that His Word is PERFECT!

We should all realize, that this is a subject, that is worthy of heated discussion.

I find it interesting that people are willing to agree that Satan has counterfeited every doctrinal truth of the faith, yet they become completely unresponsive when it comes to the Scriptures. I do not consider the New World Translation of the JW's a counterfeit, because it doesn't even pretend to represent Christianity in general. The problem with counterfeits is that they are close to the real thing. In the case of the modern versions, its "change a word here", "drop a phrase there," and essentially makes man the final authority over God's Word.

Edited by Baptist_Bible_Believer

• 1 year later...
  • Members
On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:03 PM, Donald said:

Then I pointed out to them, that “these days, scholars can not be trusted”!  Because the Bible says....
“But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.” (2 Timothy 3:13)
Pointing out, that as time passes, everything that “man says or thinks", will become less and less dependable.

I do not see this verse as asserting that believers who translate the Scriptures shall wax worse and worse.   The verse directly refers to "evil men", not believers or believing Bible scholars. 

If that was its meaning, would this verse be saying that English Bible translators in 1611 should be regarded as less dependable and less trustworthy than English Bible translators in 1560?   Some believers could consider the Geneva Bible translators in 1560 to be more sound in doctrine than the Church of England translators in 1611.

Edited by Tyndale