• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

You're a Heretic!

• Members

Have you ever invited someone to your church only to have them whine about how everything the Pastor preaches on is heretical? "The Pastor baptizes in Jesus' name ONLY, and not in the Trinitarian formula -- so he's a heretic!" "If you take your Sabbath on a Sunday rather than on a Saturday . . . then you're a heretic!" So what exactly is considered heretical according to the Word of God? 

A man that is an [heretick] after the first and second admonition reject; knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself. (Titus 3:10-11)

Heresy, as it is often used today bears little relation to anything in the Bible. People use the word nowadays so often that it has little real meaning -- except as a kind of expletive (that really seems to be the function). It seems today in our contemporary English to be equivalent to saying that the person (heretic) is not a believer and that the teaching (heresy) is an evil false teaching completely antithetical to the truth (cf. Matt. 22:23; Acts 15:5; 1 Cor. 16:22; Gal. 1:6-9; 1 Tim. 1:18-20; Heb. 13:9; 1 Jn. 2:22-23; 4:2-3). Because of the connotations of the word today, it would certainly be advisable, in my opinion, to be very sparing in its use. And since in Protestantism, not to mention evangelicalism, there are a wide variety of antithetical teachings that do not share a common core of basic truth. The TRUTH is the TRUTH. The Church should be trying to find the truth. Those who are standing pat on things that are not the truth are, if not being actively divisive, standing in the way of others receiving the truth (the same way the Pharisees did: Matt. 23:13). I think this can be said about a lot of teachers out there today, but I also think that there is little profit in gratuitously attacking other believers by straining at gnats -- in fact it's wrong to do (e.g., women wearing pants is considered heresy; or if you believe that it's acceptable for a man to have long hair -- then you're a heretic). It isn't wrong to stand up for the truth, however, so it depends on the context as to whether or not finding fault with some teaching or teacher is appropriate.

As to the word in relation to scripture, the Greek "hairesis" is usually translated as "sect" in most of the places it occurs (e.g., the Sadducees and Pharisees are "sects" of Judaism: Acts 5:17; 15:5; cf. Acts 24:5 where Paul is called "a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes"). But there are three occasions where the word is speaking of heresies ("divisions") in the Church which are not healthy: 1 Cor. 11:19, where it refers to the bad Corinthian practice of taking sides over water-baptism. There is also the corresponding adj. used at Tit. 3:10); Gal. 5:20, where Paul puts "heresies" in between "seditions" and "envyings" as manifestations of the sin nature versus the Spirit; and 2 Pet. 2:1 where "damnable heresies" does refer to teachings of false prophets so antithetical to the truth that those who follow them will end up in apostasy. So the gist of the problem is that in the New Testament hairesis is not the technical word that it later became in the RC church (note that in the passage in 2nd Peter, Peter has to use a qualifier to explain the effect of the "heresies", namely, ("bring upon themselves swift destruction"), and that potential confusion is magnified by the fact that when it is often used by Protestants about other Protestants it can mean almost anything negative a person wants it to mean. So it is a good way of slandering someone without being specific (by which I mean a very bad way) unless used correctly in a biblical context.

God Bless!

• Administrators

I would agree that the word has lost a lot of its original meaning. This happens a lot across the whole sphere of social language today. But I would also contend in the defense of the word "heretical", that when true Baptists use the word in describing the teaching and doctrine of Protestants and the RCC it is an apt and true description. 

I would, as a proof text offer this Scripture as an example of why I believe this way:  1Tim 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

My reasoning is thus: The Apostle here states in no uncertain terms that the "truth" resides exclusively in the New Testament institution of "the church". I do not consider anything that has its roots in Protestant institutions as "the church". Following this line of thought, institutions originating with man are devoid of "the truth" and therefore "heretical".

I'm not trying to be contentious here, simply trying to show that there is much that is truly heretical in so called Christendom and Protestants in particular.. 

Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 
 5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 
 6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you.

In reality every man made organization that calls itself a church is in direct contradiction of these three verses, and therefore heretical.

• Members

Jim, you are absoutely correct! I think you misconstrued what I wrote; or perhaps my brain function has deteriorated over the years.  That being said . . .it is most often the case that it is the Protestants who are accusing other Protestants of heresy -- and that is the IRONY of it. Just take a look at some of the videos on Youtube and you will see what I mean. It's sad! When I mean "The church" . . .  I am referring to "the" church in its locale (e.g., "the" Church at Corinth). I believe it is my usage of the word "church" hs confused a lot of readers. I refer to the adherent's of biblical truths as the true Church (i.e., Baptists and its offshoots) -- or local churches and their demographics. If you need more clarity in any of what I wrote above, then please feel free to write back.

God Bless!

• Administrators

No Danny, it's not you or your cognitive abilities. It was very early here when I wrote that and my comprehension is not best early. I did understand that you were pointing solely at Protestants, but I thought to just clarify for any future readers regarding my thoughts on the "difference" between what is perceived as heresy today with its actual application.

It did occur to me to ask about your understanding of "the church", since so many use it today to include all churches, as in universal church context. I refrained from asking you about it because you've indicated in other posts that you do not believe universal church. Where you said, " I refer to the adherent's of biblical truths as the true Church", clarifies your stand perfectly.

Thanks for your reply and agreement.

• Members

The English word "heretical" has picked up a lot of baggage; and especially how it's not used today as a key NT word.

These things write I unto thee, hoping to come unto thee shortly: But if I tarry long, [that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God], which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of [THE truth]. (1 Timothy 3:14-15)     

So Paul here is talking about local churches. There is no need for others to reintroduce the word, then have to redefine the concept. The RC church is also the main disputant that wants to take this passage the other way.

God Bless!