• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is "Luck" a biblical concept?

• Members

I want to say from the outset that there are many unbelievers, and even well-meaning Christians that have a proclivity of incorporating the word "luck" (as a habit) into their daily vocabulary; and I know all too well that they most certainly do NOT believe in luck due to their understanding of Scripture. Wishing someone "good luck" may bring about positive results, and conversely, just the opposite.

I can't tell you how many times I hear people say, "Good Luck" each day. Let's get one thing cleared and settled: there is absolutely no such thing as LUCK. The word *chance* is only used 6 times in the entire bible (Heb. "qara/miqreh/pegha") and (Grk. "sugkurian/ei"); see Deut. 22:6; 1 Sam. 6:9; 2 Sam. 1:6; Ecc. 9:11; Lk. 10:31; 1 Cor. 15:37. A better way to understand the word "chance" as used in the bible are *two events* which occur at the same time by divine providence (cf. Lk. 10:31).

And by [chance] there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. (Luke 10:31) " Here we get the word "chance" -- which is comprised of two Greek words; ("sun" meaning "together with", and "kurion" meaning "supreme authority"

The Bible makes it crystal clear that God is absolutely SOVEREIGN over all affairs (Ps. 115:3; Isa. 46:10; Jon. 2:9; Jn. 6:65; Rom. 8:28-30; 9:15-21; 11:36; Eph. 1:14-11; Tit. 1:1; 1 Pet. 1:1-2) -- whether good or bad. If I tell someone, "good luck!" . . . does this "increase the chance" of something to occur for the better in their personal life? Or does wishing someone "bad luck" increase the chance of the person whom this bad luck is directed at to fall victim to it? Moreover, can you "measure" luck? and if so, is there a criterion as to how it is measured? Sadly, this entire world has fallen prey to the wiles of the god of this world (Satan). The amount of times the word "luck" is used in just one day is incalculable. Where does this word originate from? Have you ever heard of the idiom "the LUCK of the devil"? 

A form of "gambling" is mentioned in the bible, and it is referred to as "casting lots" (cf. modern-day lottery; Lev. 16:8; 19:26; Num. 26:55; Deut. 18:10; Josh. 7:14; 18:6; 1 Sam. 14:42; cf. 14:24; Jonah 1:7; Prov. 16:33; 1 Chron. 26:13; book of Esther; Ps. 22:18; Jn. 19:24; Acts 1:23-26); or it can be linguistically linked to such words as "Sortition" or "Cleromancy." So far we have gleaned that the Bible says nothing about "luck", nothing positive that is.

But ye are they that forsake the LORD, that forget my holy mountain, that prepare a table for that troop, and that furnish the drink offering unto that number. Therefore will I number you to the sword, and ye shall all bow down to the slaughter: because when I called, ye did not answer; when I spake, ye did not hear; but did evil before mine eyes, and did choose that wherein I delighted not. (Isaiah 65:11-12)    

We believers know that the Lord has not left one single thing to "chance". The plan of God encompasses every single event that has or ever will take place, down to the sub-atomic level from one end of the universe to the other -- and so how much more when it comes to those He loves?     

Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows. (Matthew 10:29-31)  

The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the LORD. (Proverbs 16:33)

God Bless!

• Members

Luck is truly biblical when it comes to Pot-Luck Dinners at church, I'm sure it and "casserole" are from transliterated Greek or Hebrew words for freewill meat offerings or something. Either way it is a tradition handed down to us by faithful men and women and it has been very beneficial to the body of Christ. So we are very lucky to have it.