• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Sinless and Pure in Heart

• Members

I came across several men and women on the streets of Berkeley who were evangelizing; and they were screaming as they told EVERYONE that they were sinners who were going to burn in hell. I asked the leader of the group if he thought that he was a sinner, and he replied, "I am sinless and pure." I said, "how so?" and he replied, "my sins are forgiven, therefore I'm sinless and have no need to ask for forgiveness anymore." Sinless, according to scripture means not being "able" to sin; this is quite different from being purged of our sins and therefore being cleansed of it at the time we confess them.

There is an application to be made from this passage that those who respond to the Lord in the correct way come to see Him ever more clearly through His truth through the eyes of faith. The main interpretation has to do with the fact that the world is divided into two camps: those who have been cleansed of sin and those who have not been so cleansed. The word "pure" in Matthew 5:8 is the Greek word katheros (from which the name "Catherine"), and means "clean/cleansed". Here are some passages from John's gospel which shed light on this:

Blessed are the [pure in heart]: for they shall see God. (Matthew 5:8)

Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all." (John 13:10)

"Now ye are clean (katheros) through the word which I have spoken unto you" (John 15:3)

No one is "pure in heart" (cf. Jer.17:9) -- unless purified by God. That "washing away of sin" was paid for on the cross by our Lord who stood judgment for all sin, and granted to all who accept His sacrifice through putting their faith in Him, His perfect person and His perfect work. So there are the righteous and the unrighteous, but the distinction is not one of behavior; rather behavior is a symptom of the underlying reality. We believers have the righteousness of God through faith by grace, cleansed by the blood of Christ. This is generally what the beatitudes do, namely, distinguish between the blessings that belong to those who respond to God (believers) and the cursing that befalls those who do not -- but the Day when these blessings and cursings will be brought fully to the fore will not come until our Lord returns to resurrect us for blessing and them for cursing.

God Bless!

Edited by (Omega)