• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Satan hindered me

• Members

It was all day dealing with believers who blame Satan for every single hindrance in their everyday lives. There's traffic . . . Satan hindered me! The line is too long at Safeway . . . Satan hindered me! My wife just complained about me leaving my clothes in the dryer this morning . . . Satan hindered me! How about using these "hindrances" to their advantage to grow spiritually? Or to help others to do so? I could have just as well told him that he was hindering me with his incessant nagging, and that Satan was behind this!

If you were trying to get through a door and I stood in your way (e.g., to be funny), that would "hinder you", would it not? But we can imagine God allowing me to do so, even though I would be making a bad joke at your expense, and even though you are a find upstanding Christian trying to go about your Christian business. The plan of God is perfect. It takes into account absolutely everything. But you don't have to look far in scripture to find all manner of believers being poorly treated by the world -- and therefore by the present ruler of the world. Ever since the serpent tempted Eve (through the serpent being demon possessed) and Cain murdered Abel (undoubtedly influenced by the devil to do so), Satan has been inspiring and directing the "hindering" of the people of God. 

Wherefore we would have come unto you, even I Paul, once and again; [but Satan HINDERED us]. (1 Thessalonians 2:18)

God is bigger and smarter and more merciful than any of the hindrances we face, regardless of whether or not they are actually brought on by the efforts of the evil one and his unseen forces. So I can tell you that while Paul was occasionally "hindered" and we all are at times, even when (or maybe especially when) we are attempting to do what God wants us to do, nevertheless the plan of God is never stopped from carrying things out in the perfect way.  So when we say that in the end all this "actually yielded results like bearing fruit of the Spirit" which otherwise would not have happened. After all, the exodus would not be as miraculous as it was had there been no devil-inspired Pharaoh to oppose Moses and the children of Israel. And that is a good lesson for us. We see the Israelites of that time getting frustrated by all the "hindrance" and often flagging in their faith.

But God had it all planned out from front to back before He even appeared to Moses in the burning bush -- and had from before creation. Through God's overcoming of all such "hindrances", He is glorified -- and we see His glory all the more clearly as a result.  None of which would happen if life were one easy walk in the park to Zion -- which it is not. Just ask Paul (1 Cor. 4:8-13; 2 Cor. 4:7-12; 6:3-10; 11:16-33; Phil. 3:7-11).

God Bless!