• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When did Jesus receive the Holy Spirit?

• Members

There are a lot of false bible teachers that teach that Jesus did not receive the Holy Spirit until His baptism based on this passage in scripture below. I'm awed that God hasn't sent fire down from Heaven and decimated these false teachers -- for He surely is EXTREMELY patient and VERY merciful!

And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. (Matthew 3:16-17)

As the "Anointed One" (Christ), Jesus was indeed filled with the Spirit from birth. Rather than marking His initial receipt of the Spirit, the visible descent of the Spirit was meant to demonstrate the fact of His special empowerment to all those who observed it. Jesus is the One whom the Father sent into the world to save it (Lk. 2:25-35; Jn. 3:16; 3:34; 7:18; 7:28-31; 17:18; Rom. 8:3; Heb. 3:1; 1 Jn. 4:9-10; cf. Gen. 9:10; Is. 8:6; Zech. 2:9; 2:11; 4:9; 6:15), the Messiah (Hebrew: Meshiach, xywm), the One prophesied to come into the world and deliver it from sin by dying in its place (the cross: Is. 52:13 - 53:12), and to deliver it from evil by reigning over it in perfect righteousness (the crown: Ps. 2; 45; 72; 110). The Hebrew title Messiah, translated into Greek as "Christ" (Christos, Χριστός), means "Anointed One", and reflects the Hebrew custom of demonstrating through an anointing with oil that a person had been officially commissioned into an extraordinary office (as in Samuel's anointing of Saul: 1 Sam. 10:1; of David: 1 Sam. 16:13; or Moses' anointing of Aaron: Ex. 28:41). In all such cases, this anointing with oil is symbolic and represents divine empowerment through the anointing of the Holy Spirit (Num. 11:17-29; 1 Sam. 10:6; 10:9-10; 11:6; 16:13). While never symbolically anointed with oil, Jesus was symbolically "anointed", after which He immediately received a special and dramatic "symbol" (i.e., the Spirit descending upon Him in the form of dove) of the unction of the Holy Spirit He possessed "from birth" by virtue of His unique status as the Anointed One.

So while it is true that our Lord's public ministry lasted for the final three and a half years of His life, since the incarnation or virgin birth He had always possessed the Spirit "without measure" (Jn. 3:34).

God Bless!