• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Your Opinion

• Administrators

Lu 3:16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire: 

17 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.

I have my own take on these two verses in context, but would like to hear others ideas before revealing mine. The following that I have typed in bold text was contained in a lesson I heard and an immediate contradiction in the teacher's exposition popped out at me.

His exposition was that verse 16 was to be understood as baptism of the Holy Ghost, but he connected it with what he called "judgement" because of verse 17 where it speaks of "purging" and "fire unquenchable".

Thoughts?

• Members

As I have understood it, I believe vs 16 is referring to the Baptism of the Holy Spirit that takes place at Salvation, when Jesus sends his Holy Spirit into the heart of the believer and seals him with the spirit. It seems that at the same time the H.S. then Baptizes the believer into the body of Christ.

Based on vs 17 I also believe the baptism of fire is a reference to hell. Every person will face one of the two baptisms, either the baptism of the Holy Ghost, or the baptism of fire.

I do however reject the concept that the baptism of the Holy Ghost is some secondary experience to be sought after salvation.