• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Suggestions and/or Ideas?

• Administrators

So yesterday I ordered our first set of books for the library. Mrs. Shirley Starr has a 5-book set of Women of the Bible. They are not large books, but they are good.  Next order will probably be something for men.  As I mentioned, we are limited financially, so this set was actually 2 months of the budget.   Here's the link to the Starr's site: https://starr-publications.com/online-store/

I've begun the process of accessioning and classifying. It's going to be quite the job, but I'm looking forward to it.

• Members

Sister LuAnne,

That shipment about which we spoke privately has now come.  As soon as I am able to get the package together, 5 books will be on the way.

1.  God's Wisdom for Marriage & the Home

2.  The Spirit of Revival: A Contrite and Humble Spirit

3.  Thou Shalt Do These Things: A Study of the Commands in the New Testament

4.  The Tender Mercies of the Lord

5.  In the World, Not of the World: The Believer's Relationship to the World

• Members
33 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Sister LuAnne,

That shipment about which we spoke privately has now come.  As soon as I am able to get the package together, 5 books will be on the way.

Still waiting for you to write a Hermaneutic book.. Just saying.

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Administrators
On 10/4/2018 at 1:41 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Sister LuAnne,

Thank you!

• Members
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:32 AM, HappyChristian said:

Thank you!

Sister LuAnne,

Of the five books that I mentioned above, which do your husband and you personally own.  I would like to donate to you personally those which you do not yet have, as well as all five for the church library.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Sister LuAnne,

Of the five books that I mentioned above, which do your husband and you personally own.  I would like to donate to you personally those which you do not yet have, as well as all five for the church library.

Oh, my! Thank you so much! We have all but your two newest.

Randy adds his thanks to mine. 

• Administrators

We just received the series Women of the Bible, written by Mrs. Starr. They are accessioned, and just awaiting labels. This Saturday, after the men's breakfast, my hubs is going to have a short men's work party. They will be moving some things around, and bringing in a bookcase to the room where our library will be. Yee-haw! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

So we now have 39 books (one is scheduled for delivery to my house today...I already have the accessioning finished and will only need to stamp and label it) for our library. I will be setting it up tomorrow morning, and checkout will be available after the services beginning Sunday. I'm so excited that we are able to do this. If you think about it, would you please pray that our people would read the books and grow in the Lord thereby?  Special thanks to Brother Markle for his donation. Several folks have already expressed a desire to read those books. God is good!  Here is a photo of 10 of the books - those written by Bro. Markle and those written by Mrs. Starr.

IMG_20181026_145811303.jpg

• Members

We had a library at the 2nd church I pastored. We didn't keep track of who took what. It was completely on the honor system. I scoured thrift stores and found many conservative books for $1/book. We had a budgeted line item for books, but rarely used it all. I got an entire series of John R. Rice's books for $10.

• Administrators
On 10/29/2018 at 9:21 AM, Pastorj said:

We had a library at the 2nd church I pastored. We didn't keep track of who took what. It was completely on the honor system. I scoured thrift stores and found many conservative books for $1/book. We had a budgeted line item for books, but rarely used it all. I got an entire series of John R. Rice's books for $10.

Wow! That's a great price! I do have plans to go to the thrift stores here in town. The Goodwill has a large section, and many of those are hardback. 

• 9 months later...
  • Administrators

A couple of weeks ago, I went in to our library to add our most recent books. I had to move books from one shelf to another. As I began to remove some, 2 of the shelves fell, bringing the books on them down, just missing my toes! So...

I asked my husband to consider the idea of the church purchasing new shelving, that would be more steady and secure for the books. He had me do some research online, and I ran some pictures off of possible cases. We went to Walmart to look at one as well. He presented the pictures to the men (due to not having deacons, he meets with the men to discuss things before church business meetings). They were not thrilled with those bookcases - they wanted something more solid. So they tasked him to find something better...even though more expensive.

So he brought it up at the meeting itself, and everyone agreed that we should find better quality (although I do think these would have worked). I found a shelving unit that is 6' by 6', with 15 shelves, 3 of them stationary to add stability to the shelves. It will fit perfectly against the wall in our room - with 6 inches to spare on either side.

He brought the picture and description of the shelf to church that next Wednesday night, and we voted on purchasing it. It arrived today! We had it shipped to our house because there aren't people at the church every day. Now we will get it to the church and get it put together. I am SO excited!!

We are closing in on 200 volumes. I'll have to post a picture once we get it all arranged.

• 1 month later...