• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Suggestions and/or Ideas?

• Administrators

So we are (heh, that we would be mostly me LOL) are beginning our church library. We were given some books - many boxes, as a matter of fact. However, most of them we can't use because they aren't appropriate for a church library.

We are very limited with our finances, so will be very slowly adding. But I'm excited that we are able to begin this.

So suggestions and ideas would be greatly welcome.  Do you have a library at your church? If so, do you use a computer or is everything done on paper? If on computer, what system do you use?

We will be focusing on adult books for now, since we don't have children attending. Suggestions and ideas of books to purchase would be appreciated. I know several sites, and have plans to eventually purchase from them. But, as I said before, we are limited in finances, so I would like to begin with lower-priced items. 

• Members

Sorenson's Commentary on the Bible is excellent, from a IFB KJVO perspective... though the entire set is somewhat pricey..

I recommend an English grammar book, American Christians need to understand English to understand their bible! 

Pastor Markle's book on marriage is a great book also ?

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

Sorenson's Commentary on the Bible is excellent, from a IFB KJVO perspective... though the entire set is somewhat pricey..

I recommend an English grammar book, American Christians need to understand English to understand their bible! 

Pastor Markle's book on marriage is a great book also ?

Yes, we will definitely have grammar books - most likely beginning with Harvey's Grammar. Along with some commentaries. I'll check Sorenson's out. And we (personally) have Pastor Markle's books; the plan is to add copies to the church library eventually. ? Thanks for the suggestions!

Hmmm - it looks like Northstar ministries is another site to add to our prospective books list...thanks, Jordan!

The Sorenson commentary is covenant/reformed in theology, so we won't be going that route. I'm sure that it's got some good stuff in it, and my hubs might like it for his personal library, but we are going to have to be careful of the theology of the authors we place in the library. ?

• Members

We have a library of sorts, but we run entirely on the honour system.

Or we would except that almost no one uses it..... or in fact I know of only one person who does. 

We have all sorts - theological and study materials, "Christian fluff" novels, kids stuff, videos and DVD's (Interest and movies, all Christian), CD's of preaching.

Just stuff accumulated over time.

• Moderators

The pastors want our church library to go electronic – but no one actually wants to sit down and check books out regularly, so it doesn’t really work. We have the old-fashioned library cards and envelopes in each book (and a secure return box, so the books can’t disappear before being rematched with their cards.) We ordered ours from a library supplier. 

And they are all Dewey Decimalized, because how else would I organize it? ? Practically, though, simply grouping them by subject and labelling the shelves would probably have been simpler and more user-friendly. I just personally hate labeling shelves - it’s so much extra work when you want to reorganize! ?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Salyan said:

The pastors want our church library to go electronic – but no one actually wants to sit down and check books out regularly, so it doesn’t really work. We have the old-fashioned library cards and envelopes in each book (and a secure return box, so the books can’t disappear before being rematched with their cards.) We ordered ours from a library supplier. 

And they are all Dewey Decimalized, because how else would I organize it? ? Practically, though, simply grouping them by subject and labelling the shelves would probably have been simpler and more user-friendly. I just personally hate labeling shelves - it’s so much extra work when you want to reorganize! ?

I have worked with both electronic and paper - and I really like electronic best. But since we are a small church, it would probably make more sense to go the paper route for now. We have a few readers in the church, so we are hoping that they will frequent the library once it's established. I'm just not thrilled about accessioning everything by hand. LOL But I am stoked about the library, so I'll "suffer" through it. ?

I think the Dewey Decimal System is much easier and more user friendly than the Library of Congress system. I much prefer a system to just grouping as well. In fact, one of my goals is to catalog our personal library as well, some time. It was something I wanted to do with my niece, to teach her some about library science, but the opportunity never materialized.

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Brother Stafford said:

I highly recommend Way of Life Literature.  Brother David Cloud has written many, many books and they are priced very reasonably.  He is an IFB preacher and missionary to Nepal.  If you are not familiar with him, I cannot recommend him highly enough.

Yes, we know Bro. Cloud personally. His name is on our list as well. Thank you. Is there a particular book or two that you would recommend to start with?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Brother Stafford said:

The first of his books I would recommend for a church library is probably the Way of Life Encyclopedia of the Bible & Christianity.  The second would be The Discipling Church: The Church That Will Stand Until Christ Comes.

Great minds! ? I was thinking of the Way of Life Encyclopedia. I'll have to check out the second one. It sounds good.

• Members
11 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

And we (personally) have Pastor Markle's books; the plan is to add copies to the church library eventually. ?

The Sorenson commentary is covenant/reformed in theology, so we won't be going that route. I'm sure that it's got some good stuff in it, and my hubs might like it for his personal library, but we are going to have to be careful of the theology of the authors we place in the library. ?

1.  Would you be willing to take a donation of books from Pastor Scott Markle.  I know him personally, and could talk to him about it. ?

2.  Concerning Sorenson, I do not believe that he is covenant/reformed.  Would be interested to learn how you concluded that, and would suggest a recheck of the information.

• Members
1 hour ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

1.  Would you be willing to take a donation of books from Pastor Scott Markle.  I know him personally, and could talk to him about it. ?

2.  Concerning Sorenson, I do not believe that he is covenant/reformed.  Would be interested to learn how you concluded that, and would suggest a recheck of the information.

Yeah Sorenson is NOT covenant theology or reformed. I don’t know where you got that idea...I mean I bought his commentary set when he was at Fairhaven and I have been using it for years, it's the commentary I go to when I DON'T want the reformed perspectives of Gill or Henry. Sorenson and Ironside are my go to commentaries when I am wanting a sound dispensational viewpoint.

12 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Yes, we will definitely have grammar books - most likely beginning with Harvey's Grammar. Along with some commentaries. I'll check Sorenson's out. And we (personally) have Pastor Markle's books; the plan is to add copies to the church library eventually. ? Thanks for the suggestions!

Hmmm - it looks like Northstar ministries is another site to add to our prospective books list...thanks, Jordan!

"The Understanding the Bible (Sorenson) is unique in that it is:

• Dispensational in theology
  • Pre-Trib Rapture
  • Pre-millennial
  • King James/traditional-text based
  • Baptism by immersion
  • Six-day literal creation
  • Literal in hermeneutics
  • Concise style of writing
  • Discreet use of original languages
  • Tackles difficult passages
  • Comprehensive and expositional
  • Useful for pastors and laymen"

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members

Our pastor encourages the members to maintain their own libraries at home.  His was almost as large as mine until I got rid of all the secular books I've read over a lifetime!  Now he's at about 3,000 volumes and I'm probably 2/3 of that.  Our church's Academy has an extensive library for the children though.

Edited by swathdiver

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

Yeah Sorenson is NOT covenant theology or reformed. I don’t know where you got that idea...I mean I bought his commentary set when he was at Fairhaven and I have been using it for years, it's the commentary I go to when I DON'T want the reformed perspectives of Gill or Henry. Sorenson and Ironside are my go to commentaries when I am wanting a sound dispensational viewpoint.

"The Understanding the Bible (Sorenson) is unique in that it is:

• Dispensational in theology
  • Pre-Trib Rapture
  • Pre-millennial
  • King James/traditional-text based
  • Baptism by immersion
  • Six-day literal creation
  • Literal in hermeneutics
  • Concise style of writing
  • Discreet use of original languages
  • Tackles difficult passages
  • Comprehensive and expositional
  • Useful for pastors and laymen"

I looked at it again - not very well noticed was the "in distinction to" in the midst of the lists. The top of the second list was covenant/reformed and so I didn't look any further.  A poorly positioned comparison notation was where I got the idea. Thank you for causing me to look again.

10 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Why, yes, I think we would. ? If you could talk to him, that would be marvelous. ? (and greatly appreciated!)

As to Sorenson - as I mentioned in my reply to Jordan, their listing confused the issue for me. The "in distinction to" in the middle of the two lists (the one Jordan copied, and the one that begins with covenant/reformed theology) is further down the page, so if one's screen does not show the entire list, it isn't apparent that it's a comparison list. After Jordan copied the one side, I went in to look again and that's when I saw the rest of the list and the "in distinction to."  I am relieved that he is not.

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

Our pastor encourages the members to maintain their own libraries at home.  His was almost as large as mine until I got rid of all the secular books I've read over a lifetime!  Now he's at about 3,000 volumes and I'm probably 2/3 of that.  Our church's Academy has an extensive library for the children though.

That's a good thing to do. My hubs will recommend books for our folks to purchase, and we also hope that mayhap they will purchase copies of what we place in the library so they might have it at home. 

There are no current plans to have a school, especially since we don't even have children attending church yet, but we do want to have books available for children as well.

We have an extensive personal library also, and I can't imagine people not wanting to own books! My niece is like my sister - not a reader, and not very interested in books at all. When I first was able to unpack many of our books, she was floored that anyone would own THAT MANY books - and even more astonished that they'd almost all been read (some are still on the "will be reading them" list). Heh - if only she knew that there are still boxes lurking in the garage because there just isn't shelf space. LOL Once we are able to finish my husband's office at church and get the books he wants over there, it should clear up one bookcase. Such a problem to have! ?