• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Jesus MADE Lord

• Members

What exactly does it mean when the bible says that Jesus was "made" Lord in Acts 2:36?

I had a Jehovah's Witness knock on my door before to "witness" to me his abominable and another "Gospel." I was surprised that he had found my place since I live at the very end of an extremely narrow driveway -- with scrape marks on both sides of the driveway from vehicles not being able to get through it correctly. There are also many trees and vines that surround my little cottage so it is very difficult to find. There was an empty and void look in his eyes as if I could see right through it; and it was transparent that he was brainwashed to the utmost. Sadly -- in a nutshell, he left without accepting the invitation to surrender his heart and life over to the TRUE LORD, Jesus Christ -- who is the second member of the Godhead.  I asked him a hypothetical question (which is quite possible a reality for anyone): "I have only one day to live . . . what can I do to enter the Kingdom of Jehovah, or to inherit the Earth?"

His answer: " . . . . . . . . . . . . "

Anyway, as with all Jehovah's Witnesses . . . he opened up his New World Order translation and quoted this verse in his attempt to "prove" that Jesus was somehow "made" [into] Lord.

"Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath [made] the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, [both Lord and Christ]." (Acts 2:36)

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (2nd Timothy 2:15)

When one attacks the Word of God and takes it out of context as Satan does -- they are in reality attacking God and His Christ. This grievous distortion of scripture is BLASPHEMOUS to the name of Christ because it is making Him out to be nothing more than a "good teacher" or a created being.  Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would "GLORIFY" Him.  So we can rightly conclude that those who adamantly continue to deny the Deity of Jesus Christ DO NOT have the Holy Spirit -- and therefore are NOT saved. The JW's respond to this verse by saying that Jesus was not ALWAYS Lord because He was "MADE" Lord. Here is a passage in Luke which aptly proves beyond any shadow of a doubt that Jesus was ALREADY LORD at His conception. 

"And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost: And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. And whence is this to me, that [THE MOTHER OF MY LORD] should come to me? For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy." (Luke 1:41-44) 

Also, many do not understand what it means when the bible says that Jesus was "made Lord" -- and they can be mislead by false teachers who misinterpret that passage.  After all, kyrios, "Lord", in this context is definitely a reference to the Tetragrammaton, YHVH.  This is the Greek equivalent for that Hebrew word.  So this is even more emphatic than "made Him God" would be -- and clearly no one can be "made [into] God" or "made [into] LORD YHVH" -- there is only one God and only one YHVH (in three Persons): 

"One Lord [kyrios / YHVH], one faith, one baptism," (Ephesians 4:5)

The Greek verb poieo is being used here in the sense of to "appoint" or "make manifest as" or "confirm as".  It is a generic verb that is often used in periphrases, and that is what is to be understood here as well.  So "made" also means "confirmed as" Lord and Christ -- because the Father did so through the resurrection.  The resurrection and subsequent ascension and session are the means of this confirmation, and that is what Peter had just said in the verses immediately preceding:

Here is the EXACT rendering of Acts 2:36 from the original Greek so there is NO dispute.

Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath [made] the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, [both Lord and Christ]." (Acts 2:36)

I love the eloquence of the The King James bible, but if I were to preach a sermon to a mixed crowd, I would give my exposition of that verse by saying:  "It is through [these actions] that the Father "made Jesus [known as or confirmed] both Lord and Messiah" 

For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) But to us there is but [one God, the Father], of whom are all things, and we in him; and [one Lord Jesus Christ], by whom are all things, and we by him. (1 Corinthians 8:5-6)

The problem with many theologians who do not know how to rightly defend the DEITY of Jesus Christ has to do with the title "GOD." Many Unitarians assume that if there are passages in scripture that does not definitively say that Jesus is GOD -- then He cannot be God. What they need to rightly understand is that both the titles "GOD" and "LORD" are both titles of DEITY. Whether Jesus is referred to as God or Lord does not change the fact that He is still DEITY (three Co-equal, Co-eternal persons  -- who are "ONE BEING"). I suppose anyone can take scripture out of context and use 1 Corinthians 8:5-6 to say that the Father cannot be LORD since it clearly reads that Jesus is the ONE LORD. The titles "Lord" and "God" is to draw a distinction between the two persons of the Godhead mentioned in that passage -- but both are DEITY.

Hear, O Israel: The [Lord] our [God] is one Lord: And thou shalt love the [Lord] thy [God] with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. (Deuteronomy 6:4-5)

And this is life eternal, that they might know thee [the only true God], and [Jesus Christ], whom thou hast sent. (John 17:3) 

Eternal here refers to both a QUALITY and DURATION of life; which is being spoken of here by our Lord Jesus. It will take an ETERNITY to know both God and the Lord Jesus Christ; and that is indicative of their ETERNALITY (an attribute of DEITY).

God Bless!