• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can Salvation be lost? Common Objections

• Members
Topic: Can we lose our Salvation once we have it?

This is going to be by far the most comprehensive study I've done so far in an all out effort to bring the lost to Christ; and to give absolute assurance of a Christian's Salvation and Divine hope.

Square Brackets [ ] are my way of explaining its true meaning and putting emphasis on a particular verse or passage. Please take time to read this if you have any doubts or uncertainty about your Salvation. There is nothing more important than your Eternal Salvation since your Eternal fate will be in either one of two places. If you have never heard of the Gospel and have stumbled upon this, then please take time to read this because I care for the lost and desire that they all repent and turn to the Lord to receive the free gift of Eternal Life through Jesus Christ the Lord. This is not by chance . . . this is Divine Providence!

So let's move on to the crux of the matter.

"Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:" (Romans 1:19-20)

Objection: I am a Christian and have no worries at all if I were to be unsaved; because the bible says that if in fact that I lose my Salvation, I will be annihilated if that were to be the case. We can find proof of this in the bible in Thessalonians 1:9.

"And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with [everlasting destruction] [from] the [presence] of the Lord, and [from] the [glory of his power];" (2nd Thessalonians 1:7b-9)

Annihilationist's teach that 2 Thessalonians 1:9 is proof of non-existence after death using that passage in Scripture. The problem with that theological viewpoint is that if a person is in a state of "non-existence", then how can they be "away" or "from" the "presence" of anything -- let alone, God? They will be NOWHERE, and cannot be "away" or "from" the "presence" of anything or anyone if they DO NOT EXIST. Jesus rebuked the Pharisees and the religious leaders of His time because they were "scholars" or leaders of the Old Testament, and yet failed to grasp the true meaning of Scripture. The title "Rabbi" (e.g., Pharisees and Scribes) is equivalent to "doctors" (D.TH., Th.D., D. Theol.) or "scholars" in modern day Christianity.

The religious leaders in Jesus' day loved to be called "Rabbi" or "teacher" because it boosted their pride and ego. The bible is easy to understand that even little children can comprehend it. Most religious leaders of today are also so arrogant and boastful that they miss the clear understanding of a passage or verse in the bible. They put so much time and effort on one or two words in the bible to establish their doctrine as reliable (e.g., "eternal destruction"); and as a result . . . it becomes a distortion of scripture or eisegesis. I did some research on the most notable religious leaders of today, and do you know who came up? The Pope, the Dalai Lama, Deepak Chopra and others. This kindled my anger when I came across that. This is how blinded and deceived people are by Satan.

"Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch." (Matthew 15:14)

"At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because [thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent], and hast [revealed them unto babes]. Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight." (Matthew 11:25-26)

First of all, let's get one thing straightened out; there are no amount of "works" that can merit our Salvation, and the Bible makes that very clear (Gen. 8:21; 1st Kings 8:46; Ps. 58:3; 143:2; Prov. 20:9; 22:15; Eccl. 7:20; Jer. 17:9; Isa. 48:8)

"For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not." (Ecclesiastes 7:20)

Is there anything that we can do to "earn" Salvation by our own efforts? No human achievement can obtain justification in God's eyes regardless of how we live our lives; for it is a wasted effort and has no efficacious value or principles at all when juxtaposed with the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9)

If we cannot "earn" our Salvation, then how can we lose it? And if Salvation is not by "works", then how can we gain it? Some may argue that if we don't measure up to a certain level of obedience, then we can "lose" our Salvation. If this were to be true (which it isn't Eph. 2:8-9) then the entirety of Scripture cannot be trusted; but God CANNOT lie -- so that eliminates the possibility of losing our Salvation by a lack of a lifestyle of obedience. The proviso regarding the doctrine of Salvation by Grace through Faith does not imply that we can get some sort of "get out of hell free pass" -- or a license for immorality. I need to make this crystal clear so that you can gain a perfect understanding on how you are saved, and if you can lose it.

Secondly, you need to make absolutely certain that you are indeed saved; because this can lead to a false hope of security in Christ; and ultimately to the Lake of Fire where there awaits Eternal Punishment.

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but [he that doeth the will of my Father] which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name [done many wonderful works?] And then will I profess unto them, [I never knew you]: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (Matthew 7:21-23)

Several things that we need to take into consideration from that passage:

These false Christians question Jesus about their Salvation on that "Great Day" by their mention of "many wonderful works." The bible makes it crystal clear that no amount of works can save anyone (e.g., Catholicism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormonism, Islam, et al.). Works bases "righteousness" is no "righteousness" at all -- this is "self-righteousness." Jesus made this very clear to the "self-righteous" hypocrites of His day (viz., Pharisees, Scribes, etc.). Moreover, Jesus will declare to these men and women that He "NEVER KNEW THEM"; so they were never saved to begin with -- nor did they ever have a "saving" relationship with Him. Everyone has a "personal" relationship with Jesus -- even Satan and his fallen angels. He knows them inside and out (1 Kings 8:39; 1 Chron. 28:9; 1 Sam. 16:7; Ps. 7:9; 19:14; 26:2; cf. 38:9; 44:21; 139:2-23; Prov. 21:2; Jer. 11:20; 20:12; Ezek. 11:5; Matt. 9:4; Mk. 2:8; Lk. 5:22; Rev. 2:23). There are going to be many Popes and Catholics who will end up in hell and the Lake of Fire who will think that they are in "Purgatory"; and then they will come to the realization that their eternal abode is not Purgatory, but hell and the Lake of Fire.

Objection: Esau sold his "birthright" to Jacob for a bowl of stew; and we must take into consideration that we do not exchange our Heavenly inheritance (Salvation) for some temporal "blessing" as he had.

First of all . . . nothing in the Old Testament passage indicates that Esau even had "Eternal Life" or "Salvation"; and to say so is an obvious prooftext (eisegesis) as one has to insert their pet doctrine or theology into that passage. Another thing that we must keep in mind is that the New Testament is a New Covenant by God who promised to write His law in our "inward parts." Nothing about Esau suggested that he was a godly man; all he wanted was the blessings of God without God. This is parallel to those who sit in the brick and mortar mega-churches of today who only lust after what God can do for them, and not what they can do for God. It is the latter that brought upon Esau any sort of true repentance even though he sought it. What that passage in Genesis 25:29-34 is suggesting are the consequences of his sin -- not his Salvation. Are we to truly believe that if we seek repentance and forgiveness from God with "tears" that God is unwilling to forgive us as His child? If so, then who is this god that you worship? Because it is NOT the God of the Bible -- and I can assure you that. Even an earthly Father would be willing to forgive us so if we truly repent! How much more better is our Father in Heaven? 

"If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?" (Matthew 7:11)

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."(1st John 1:9)

"But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, [I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts]; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more." (Jeremiah 31:33-34)

The above passage speaks of our God permanently placing His law within our hearts so that it may not depart; for this is the promise of God Himself regarding His New Covenant with His people (Jn. 14:17; Rom. 8:15-17, 26; 1st Cor. 2:12; 6:19-20; 12:13; Eph. 1:13-14; 4:30; Tit. 3:5; 2nd Pet. 1:4; 1st Jn. 4:15).

Objection: No one can truly know if they are saved until they pass from this life and face the judgement of God.

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, [hath] everlasting life, and [shall not come into condemnation]; but [is passed] from death unto life." (John 5:24)

"Hath" (Greek *echo*) [present active indicative] everlasting life -- is in the present tense; which means that the action is taking place at that very moment. The indicative mood demonstrates a true reality. "Is passed" (Greek *metabaino*) [present active indicative] from death unto life.

"These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that [ye may know] that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing [according to his will], he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, [whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.]" (1st John 5:13-15)

The words "ye may know" (Greek *hina eido*) is in the present tense [perfect active subjunctive of *oida*), and means that we can know with absolute certainty that we possess Eternal Life at this very moment in time. On a side note, but still important: I want to make this VERY CLEAR that we can have our prayers answered 100% of the time; and there is NO reason why it shouldn't if we are in perfect accord with God's divine plan in our lives. I can personally testify of this precious truth. Barking dogs, noisy and drunk neighbors, internet failures, unclean and hateful birds screeching, etc., will immediately come to a halt when I pray in the Spirit and in Truth unto my Lord God. Again . . . we need to keep this in our minds and in our hearts that we must be doing what God wants us to be doing at that moment in time (e.g., witnessing to the lost, feeding the flock, deeply studying the Word of God, listening to God's Word so that we may drink and eat of the spiritual sustenance given by Him, etc.). I've been doing this for the longest time and God has been faithful 100% of the time without failure. Should we be amazed or surprised by this? Why? Isn't He that has called you most FAITHFUL AND TRUE? (Gen. 12:2-3; 15:4; 21:1-2; Num. 23:19; Lam. 3:22-23; Ex. 34:6; Deut. 7:8-9; 32:4; Rom. 3:3-4; 4:21; 9:9; 15:8-9; Gal. 3:14; 4:28; 2 Tim. 2:13; 2 Sam. 7:12-13; Jer. 25:8-11; 29:10; 52:12-16, 27; Ezra 1:1-3; Neh. 9:8; Ps. 106:8; 1st Thess. 5:24; Heb. 6:13-15,18; 11:11; Josh. 21:45; 23:14; 1st Kings 8:56; 2 Kings 25:8-12; 1 Chron. 16:15; 17:11-12; 2 Chron. 6:7-11; 36:17-21; Ps. 145:13; Ezek. 12:25; Hab. 2:3; Acts 13:32-33; 2 Cor. 1:20-22; Heb. 3:2-6; 10:23; 2 Pet. 3:9; cf. Rev. 1:5; 19:11)

On one occasion there was a puppy that wouldn't stop barking; and you could here this puppy bark from half a block away. No one was doing anything about it, and I prayed to the Lord to stop the puppy from barking and it "seemingly" did not come to pass. However, my faith did not waver as the Spirit told me that if those in the houses adjacent to the house with the barking dog weren't complaining . . . then neither should I be concerned as a Christian who possesses the fruit of long-suffering. The Spirit also told me that it was a lesson to be able to place our "focus" on the peace of God regardless of tumultuous events that occur in our lives. After I had learned that -- the puppy completely stopped barking.

Objection: "Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are [justified by the law]; ye are [fallen from grace]." (Galatians 5:4)

"Is become of no effect unto you" (Greek *apo*) means to be "separated or estranged from"; and the phrase "fallen from grace" (Greek *ekpipto*) [aorist active indicative] means losing what was once "taken hold of."

"For the [grace of God ]that bringeth salvation hath [appeared to all men], Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ." (Titus 2:11-13)

God's Grace was put on display "FOR ALL MEN" when Jesus shed His precious blood for our sins on the Cross at Calvary so that we may have Eternal Life. It is only for those who put their trust and faith in God through Jesus Christ our Lord, and what He did on the Cross so we receive mercy and forgiveness by God's Grace (Jn. 3:16; Acts 15:11; cf. 2 Cor. 12:8-9; Rom. 1:5; 3:23-24; 6:14; 11:6; Eph. 2:8-9; 4:7; Tit. 2:11; Heb. 4:16; 2 Pet. 1:2; Jas. 4:6). Furthermore, anybody who understands Salvation by Grace through Faith knows that we cannot be "justified" by "the law." -- this is Bible 101.

Objection: The bible teaches in Hebrews 6:4-6 that true believers can lose their Salvation if they once believed it and have apostatized. 

"For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have [tasted of the heavenly gift], and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have [tasted the good] word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame." (Hebrews 6:4-6)

This objection fails in so many ways because the person interpreting that passage does not understand the context. We can't simply take one passage in a bible chapter and build an entire theology around it. As my emphasis shows that "tasting" the heavenly gift is not the same as "receiving" the heavenly gift (cf. Eph. 2:8-9). We cannot earn or buy the heavenly gift (Acts 8:18-20). The passage that immediately follows refutes the false doctrine of losing one's Salvation. Any first year bible student will tell you that "Context is king". Here is what follows next in that passage:

"But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that [accompany salvation], though we thus speak." (Hebrews 6:9)

This is CLEARLY telling us that "those" mentioned in Hebrews 6:4 (who have once been enlightened) in the previous passage were NOT genuine believers; and had never been saved in the first place. Mere intellectual assent of biblical truth is not equivalent to being born again (regenerated). Not everyone who professes to belong to Christ never implies having "saving faith" (cf. Gen. 10:26,32).   

Objection: The parable of the prodigal son is an illustration about a true believer who has lost his Salvation and regained it.

"And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son. But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet: And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry: For this my son was dead, and is [alive again]; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry." (Luke 15:21-24)

"Alive again" simply means that the prodigal son was "born again" -- or what is referred to as "the second birth." This is spoken of many times in scripture (Jn. 3:1-10, 16; Acts 2:38; Rom. 6:3, 23; 10:9-10; 1 Pet. 1:3; 22-25; 2 Cor. 5:17; Eph. 2:1; 8-9; Gal. 3:26; Tit. 3:5; Col. 2:11-13). Stop trying too hard to prove your false doctrines, "doctors" of Theology! For your arrogance and pride in your achievements in the academic fields of study will blind you from receiving the simplicity of the Truth of Scripture.

Objection: Judas Iscariot was one of the 12 disciples and he lost his Salvation. Jesus says in John 17:12 that he had [lost none] "but the son of perdition."

Now this is just ridiculous! Let's be honest! How can Judas Iscariot have been saved if the Holy Spirit had not been given to anyone at that time? (Jn. 14:26; 15:26; 16:7; Acts 2:14-21). Also, the bible makes it very clear that anyone who does not have the Holy Spirit, he does not belong to Christ (Rom. 8:9). The Holy Spirit "came upon" those in the Old Testament; however, the Holy Spirit did not "indwell" them (Num. 11:25-26; Judg. 3:10; 6:34; 11:29; 13:25; 15:14; 1 Sam. 10:6-10; 16:13-14; 19:20-23; 2 Chron. 24:20; Neh. 9:30; Ps. 51:11; Ezek. 2:2). Furthermore, Jesus referred to Judas as a "devil" in John 6:70. Now does that sound like a born-again believer?

"In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise." (Ephesians 1:13)

Objection: The Word of God states that many will [depart from the faith] in the end times.

"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times [some shall *depart* from the faith], giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils." (1st Timothy 4:1)

Departing from "the faith" (not "their faith") does not refer to losing "personal faith" in God, but rather the Christian doctrine.

"Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for [the faith] which was once delivered unto the saints." (Jude 3)

Objection: Jesus taught in the parable of the vine and the branches that genuine believers can be cast into the Lake of Fire if they fail to abide in the vine.

"Every branch [in me] that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for [without me ye can do nothing]. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and [cast them into the fire], and they are burned." (John 15:2, 5-6)

Once again . . . we can't just take a few words from the bible or isolated passages and build an entire doctrine or theology with it. We need to take the scripture as a WHOLE to understand its true meaning. In other words . . . we have to "search" the Scriptures.

Jesus said: "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." (John 5:39)

Jesus was speaking to His "twelve disciples"; and one of them had been dismissed from the fellowship as he rejected Jesus -- whose name was Judas Iscariot (the betrayer). There is no such thing as a genuine believer who brings forth "no fruit." Fruits of the Spirit are evidence and characteristic's that one is a true believer. Furthermore, Jesus said that we can do "nothing" apart from Him; and as a result we can bring forth NO fruits. Christ is the vine; and His Father is the vinedresser. The one's that bear fruit represent the 11 disciples of Christ, and all other true disciples of the church age. The withered branch cast into the fire represent Judas and false Christians who will be cast into the Lake of Fire and the end of the age when the reapers (angels) separate the wheat from the tares.

"But the [fruit of the Spirit] is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." (Galatians 5:22-23)

Objection: 2nd Peter 2:1 is a clear cut verse that undeniably proves that those who were saved under the shed blood of Christ can lose their Salvation.

"But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that [bought them], and bring upon themselves swift destruction." (2nd Peter 2:1)

"For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, [the just for the unjust], that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:" (1 Peter 3:18)

"When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, [It is finished]: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." (John 19:30)

I am absolutely certain that anyone reading this knows what "It is finished" [tetelestai] means in the Greek. It is an accounting term which means "paid in full." This is CLEARLY what Peter is referring to when he mentions the Lord who "bought" [paid in full] these "false teachers." Will "EVERYONE" be saved since Christ paid the price for all through His precious shed blood on the Cross? The obvious answer is no! These false teachers profess Jesus as their Lord, but deny Him in every abominable works and heresies. We can see many examples of this today on TV with televangelists (e.g., Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn, and the ilk). Their interpretation of that passage is: "What can Jesus as my LORD buy for me? How about a $20,000,000 private jet with my own airport! 

Kenneth Copeland said: "I was shocked when I found out who the biggest failure in the Bible actually is. ... The biggest one is God. ... I mean, He lost His top-ranking, most anointed angel; the first man He ever created; the first woman He ever created; the whole earth and all the Fullness therein; a third of the angels, at least — that's a big loss, man ... Now, the reason you don’t think of God as a failure is He never said He's a failure. And you're not a failure till you say you're one.” (Praise-a-Thon program on TBN [April 1988])

First of all . . . God never [said] that He was a failure -- so obviously He is NOT a failure. Secondly, the reason why Kenneth Copeland said God was the biggest failure is because he found out that God would not give him the millions of dollars he had prayed for.

The Greek word for "master" is [despotes], of a house that bought the slaves, and the master as their sovereign, the slaves owed allegiance to him.  These slaves refused to submit to their master's authority.  There are many in Christendom who profess to truly acknowledge Christ as their Lord.  They affirm that they were purchased by His atoning work on the Cross. And they profess that they even belong to Him. The word "bought" is agorazo in the Greek, and it simply means to buy or to purchase.

We can also find an Old Testament parallel passage in Deuteronomy 32:5-6, where God is said to have "bought" Israel, though they rejected Him. Doctrinally, this analogy can be viewed as responsibility for submission to God, which false teachers had refused. Jesus used this phrase in Matthew 17:17 of an "unbelieving" generation, and Paul in Philippians 2:15 of the rebellious nature of mankind. Moreover, these false prophets and false teachers secretly introduce damnable heresies and blaspheme the truth. Is this the traits of a true believer? Let's be honest about this!

"They have corrupted themselves, their spot is not the spot of his children: they are a [perverse and crooked generation]. Do ye thus requite the LORD, O foolish people and unwise? Is not he thy father that hath [bought thee]? Hath he not made thee, and established thee?" (Deuteronomy 32:5-6)

Objection: "For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the [knowledge] of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. For it had been better for them not to have [known the way of righteousness], than, after they [have known] it, to turn from the holy commandment [delivered unto them.] But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire." (2 Peter 2:20-22)

This passage is parallel to that of Hebrews 6:4-6. See explanation and refutation of that in the earlier portion of this thesis.

"My sheep [hear my voice], and [I know them], and [they follow me]: And I give unto them eternal life; and [they shall never perish], neither shall [any man] pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and [no man] is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand." (John 10:27-29)

Objection: Well . . . you have free will, and you can willfully JUMP or REMOVE yourself out of His hand!

Are you in the category of "any man"? Are you in the category of "no man"? Would one of Jesus' sheep actually willfully leave His fold? What does Jesus Himself say?

My sheep: Hear my voice
My sheep: Follow me
My sheep: I know them (Greek *ginosko* -- personal, intimate, and genuine knowledge of the object) [present active indicative].
My sheep: Will not [follow] a stranger, but will [flee] from him: for they know not the voice of strangers. (John 10:5)
My sheep: And they shall never perish ("double emphasis" on - kai ou me apolontai eis ton aiona)

Hear, know, and follow are all in the present tense linear action; which means that Jesus' sheep will "continue to "Hear, know, and follow" Him.

"I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep." (John 10:11)

Beloved: If you are His true sheep -- then you can be at absolute peace with God knowing that the Good Shepherd has you safe in His hands; and nothing can ever separate you from Him.

"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38-39)

God Bless!