• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

conference preachers

• Members

From the other thread:

12 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Seriously now - For such a conference to be SPIRITUALLY successful, the speakers would have to be the most BIBLICALLY (TRULY) humble individuals that could be found.  Not necessarily one of the "well-knowns" who has a supposedly "successful" ministry, but very possibly some of the "un-knowns" who have a truly humble walk with the Lord.

This is something that I wonder about from time to time.

In Australia we don't have the amazing number of "events" that are available in the US - We have an annual fellowship meeting, there is a "Pastor's Refresher School", and a "Leadership conference", and a youth conference, and at least one other major conference.

Australia's IB population is far smaller than the US, and so there are less conferences in general than you apparently have in the US.

But as far as our annual "fellowship meeting" is concerned, many years ago there was a split into two groups - it doesn't matter why, but I will say that no one really remembers why anymore, and I personally don't care - there are good men on both sides of the argument, and therefore also good men attending both sets of fellowship meetings. HOWEVER, a strange thing happened, not because of the split or the reasons, but in the way the two sets of meetings developed.

One set of meetings developed into a real conference style, with split sessions for men, women, youth, Pastor's etc, etc. and with invited guest "Keynote" preacher/s. (Often these men are from the US by the way).

The other set of meetings stayed in the nature of the "old fellowship meetings" - no main preacher, no split sessions - the preachers are all "small preachers" from among the group that attends, with the odd invited guest - usually a missionary that has become a friend of one of the "small preachers".

I will go to both if the opportunity is there, but I mostly have to choose, and I mostly choose the smaller, old fashioned meetings.

All of this to say, I wonder what the attraction is to these "Big name preachers", and why people think they are more spiritual than the man who has faithfully preached for the last 20 years in his little, struggling church?

When did we fall into the trap of thinking that "Big" equals "blessed by God"?

Or that "Big church" equals " spiritual giant"?

1Co 4:1-4
(1)  Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.
(2)  Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
(3)  But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.
(4)  For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.

And how about judging success by God's standard:

Jos 1:7-8
(7)  Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.
(8)  This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

And one last thing to ponder in this: I see the same names popping up as guest preachers in these conferences - and often times they are men that I have a certain respect for.

But if they have been called to Pastor a church, why are they travelling all over the world preaching at 15 conferences a year?

Unless of course the Lord has called them to THAT ministry - but then, why are they still noted as Pastor of "such and such Baptist Church"?

When we held the fellowship meetings a couple of years ago (the smaller ones) I prayed and chose preachers that I respect for their godliness, not for the size of their church.

And we had some great preaching. And some wonderful fellowship. And some awesome singing. And I think.... I hope, but I think we did..... we honoured the Lord.

I wonder how many people would come to a "leadership conference" or a "Servanthood conference" where the preachers were not advertised in the first case, and where they were just faithful servants of the Lord?

How about people come to hear the Word of God preached, and not come to hear "Preacher So and So" preach the word of god. (And I deliberately didn't capitalise the last phrase...…)

What think ye'all ?

(That's southern old English!)

• Members

I guess I should probably add that I am not opposed to conferences, and meetings designed to pass on information and to encourage Pastors and churches to do better at what we are doing (within Biblical boundaries of course).

I think there is definite profit in training how to witness, or effective methods of door to door work, or the necessary "business side" of church governance (insurances, liabilities, taxation issues, etc).

It is more about s Pastor Markle said - the well knowns vs the unknowns as speakers.

What is almost verging on the worship of men rather than God.

I just can't help but think that Paul said: 

1Co 11:1
(1)  Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

This verse implies also the opposite - to stop following Paul when he stops following Christ. 

Paul knew it was not supposed to be about him. Maybe sometimes even IFB's can forget about that......

• Members
9 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

This goes along with my opinion of the phrase "great man of God." That puts the emphasis in the very wrong place. When men call each other "great," they put their eyes on the wrong personage - man instead of God. Spiritual dyslexia.

I do not like it when people say great man of God, how about man of THE GREAT GOD! 

But seriously, it drives me nuts when you hear certain preachers from certain schools say things like "Dr. so and so this and that", man worships makes me sick and I'm sure God feels even stronger about it...

Reminds me of one time when I heard a preacher say he believed something along the lines of his church was the strongest and best church in America...I couldn't imagine how anyone with a sense of humility could make such a statement. 

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Moderators

I'm familiar with the "recognizing the years of ministry and amount of effort in obtaining the degree" rationale behind "Dr Such an one.... "as an introduction or form of address.

I have preached with a few WELL known preachers (some are in glory, some are still here). Not said as a "Well ... check me out" but as a background to my next statement. I referred to them (whether in their presence, away from their presence or to their face) as Brother __________ . I have "been corrected" with, DR __________ . I must confess, however, that it was never by the "Esteemed Dr".

All young preachers that I have had a part in training have all been taught the following by me. "Whatever diplomas or degrees you obtain have a place ----- in the same place you keep your important papers (birth certificate, DD - 214, passport, etc.) NOT framed and on display". The apostle Paul had AT LEAST equivalent to a Ph.D. if not a D.D and Th.D in addition. The title brother was sufficient for him so dare we think that it is not an adequate title for us???????

When dealing on the subjects of King James defense, Biblical Archaeology, or the refutation of Evolution then I can see placing your highest degree on your book to lend validity to your text. Highest degree, not the educational prerequisites to that degree! I hate seeing Dr Doodlebug B.A., M.A., D.D.  or worse A.A., ThG., B.A., B.R.Ed, M.R.Ed, M. Div., D.D., D.Min (a bit of hyperbole but I have seen some that came close). But in referring to the man outside of his authorship of that given book? Spare us.

Heads up --- NO, I WILL NOT be baited into stating my education.

• Moderators
On 9/4/2018 at 8:50 PM, Jordan Kurecki said:

Reminds me of one time when I heard a preacher say he believed something along the lines of his church was the strongest and best church in America...I couldn't imagine how anyone with a sense of humility could make such a statement. 

It is possible for a member to think they have the best and strongest church in existence and not think that it's because of their presence in it. Ditto for a pastor. If "Pastor A" and "Pastor B" were both equally able in teaching but Pastor A's church search the Scriptures themselves and are doers and not merely hearers. Pastor B has a church that simply absorbs and parrots what they like of the Scripture. Pastor A has a reason for believing his church is spiritually advanced without it taking a level of boasting in his "ability".

• Members

Many of the "Big Time" preachers at these conferences are good "Orators". They can let it rip, make people laugh, cry and walk the aisle. Unfortunately today, there are not many "Preachers" who are filled with the Holy Spirit and are Preaching, even some of these "Big Time" preachers.

Preaching is not about yelling/screaming. Preaching is not about a good story, joke or poem. Preaching is about exposing the Word of God to people and letting the Holy Spirit convict. I have witnessed many of occasions where people are crying because of a moving story about a little girl who died and in her death saw many saved. Love the story, but if people need a story to be moved instead of the Word of God, then we got issues.