• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Leadership conferences?

• Members
1 hour ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

But it would have to be a true SERVANTHOOD conference, not just a leadership conference under a different name, right?

Of course.

I just doubt you would get the same kind of attendance as a leadership conference.

I don't know about you, but my library has all sorts of "Pastoring" books (mostly that I have been given......) and the overwhelming majority are "'something' leadership". (Christian leadership, Godly leadership, effective leadership, etc).

I do have one book called something like "the servant leader", but from memory it was just another leadership book.

Didn't Jesus say:

Matt 23:

10  Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

11  But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

12  And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

Maybe if we set about being servants for Christ and beings servants of the people around us, we might just end up doing more for the Lord that is actually FOR the Lord........

Not throwing any stones here by the way, looking mostly at myself.

• Members

Seriously now - For such a conference to be SPIRITUALLY successful, the speakers would have to be the most BIBLICALLY (TRULY) humble individuals that could be found.  Not necessarily one of the "well-knowns" who has a supposedly "successful" ministry, but very possibly some of the "un-knowns" who have a truly humble walk with the Lord.

• Administrators

How long would "leadership conferences" last if no one attended them? This speaks more to the "mindset" of some church pastors today.

If a man is truly called of God to lead a flock, he already has a leader.  Johh 6:45  It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Inevitably leadership conferences produce little clones of supposedly "successful" leaders. The attendees take on not only the methods taught, but also the personal preaching habits, speech patterns and peculiarities of speakers at the conference. So,, ironically the attendees of the leadership conference become "followers" rather than leaders.

• Members
6 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

How long would "leadership conferences" last if no one attended them? This speaks more to the "mindset" of some church pastors today.

If a man is truly called of God to lead a flock, he already has a leader.  Johh 6:45  It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Inevitably leadership conferences produce little clones of supposedly "successful" leaders. The attendees take on not only the methods taught, but also the personal preaching habits, speech patterns and peculiarities of speakers at the conference. So,, ironically the attendees of the leadership conference become "followers" rather than leaders.

Exactly - especially the last line, but not followers of Christ.

• Members
10 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Seriously now - For such a conference to be SPIRITUALLY successful, the speakers would have to be the most BIBLICALLY (TRULY) humble individuals that could be found.  Not necessarily one of the "well-knowns" who has a supposedly "successful" ministry, but very possibly some of the "un-knowns" who have a truly humble walk with the Lord.

I wonder about getting big name preachers.....

Shouldn't  the biggest name be the name of the Lord?

Might start a thread about that.....