• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

There are many references to God...not all of them Yahweh.

EL: God ("mighty, strong, prominent") used 250 times in the OT See Gen. 7:1, 28:3, 35:11; Nu. 23:22; Josh. 3:10; 2 Sam. 22:31, 32; Neh. 1:5, 9:32; Isa. 9:6; Ezek. 10:5. El is linguistically equivalent to the Moslem "Allah," but the attributes of Allah in Islam are entirely different from those of the God of the Hebrews. ELAH is Aramaic, "god." Elah appears in the Hebrew Bible in Jer. 10:11 (which is in Aramaic, and is plural, "gods"). In Daniel (the Aramaic sections) Elah is used both of pagan gods, and of the true God, also plural. Elah is equivalent to the Hebrew Eloah which some think is dual; Elohim is three or more. The gods of the nations are called "elohim." The origin of Eloah is obscure. Elohim is the more common plural form of El. Eloah is used 41 times in Job between 3:4 and 40:2, but fewer than 15 times elsewhere in the OT. See the Catholic Encyclopedia entry on Elohim.

ELOHIM: God (a plural noun, more than two, used with singular verbs); Elohim occurs 2,570 times in the OT, 32 times in Gen. 1. God as Creator, Preserver, Transcendent, Mighty and Strong. Eccl., Dan. Jonah use Elohim almost exclusively. See Gen. 17:7, 6:18, 9:15, 50:24; I Kings 8:23; Jer. 31:33; Isa. 40:1.

EL SHADDAI: God Almighty or "God All Sufficient." 48 times in the OT, 31 times in Job. First used in Gen. 17:1, 2. (Gen. 31:29, 49:24, 25; Prov. 3:27; Micah 2:1; Isa. 60:15, 16, 66:10-13; Ruth 1:20, 21) In Rev. 16:7, "Lord God the Almighty." The Septuagint uses Greek "ikanos" meaning "all-sufficient" or "self-sufficient." The idols of the heathen are called "sheddim."

ADONAI: Lord in our English Bibles (Capitol letter 'L ', lower case, 'ord') (Adonai is plural, the sing. is "adon"). "Master'' or "Lord" 300 times in the OT always plural when referring to God, when sing. the reference is to a human lord. Used 215 times to refer to men. First use of Adonai, Gen. 15:2. (Ex. 4:10; Judges 6:15; 2 Sam. 7:18-20; Ps. 8, 114:7, 135:5, 141:8, 109:21-28). Heavy use in Isaiah (Adonai Jehovah). 200 times by Ezekiel. Ten times in Dan. 9.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JEHOVAH: LORD in our English Bibles (all capitals). Yahweh is the covenant name of God. Occurs 6823 times in the OT First use Gen. 2:4 (Jehovah Elohim). From the verb "to be", havah, similar to chavah (to live), "The Self-Existent One," "I AM WHO I AM" or 'I WILL BE WHO I WILL BE" as revealed to Moses at the burning bush, Ex.3. The name of God, too sacred to be uttered, abbreviated ( . . . . ) or written "YHWH" without vowel points. The tetragrammaton. Josh., Judges, Sam., and Kings use Jehovah almost exclusively. The love of God is conditioned upon His moral and spiritual attributes. (Dan. 9:14; Ps. 11:7; Lev. 19:2; Hab. 1:12). Note Deut. 6:4, 5 known to Jews as the Sh'ma uses both Jehovah and Elohim to indicate one God with a plurality of persons.

JEHOVAH-JIREH: "The Lord will Provide." Gen. 22:14. From "jireh" ("to see" or "to provide," or to "foresee" as a prophet.) God always provides, adequate when the times come.

JEHOVAH-ROPHE: "The Lord Who Heals" Ex. 15:22-26. From "rophe" ("to heal"); implies spiritual, emotional as well as physical healing. (Jer. 30:17, 3:22; Isa. 61:1) God heals body, soul and spirit; all levels of man's being.

JEHOVAH-NISSI: "The Lord Our Banner." Ex. 17:15. God on the battlefield, from word which means "to glisten," "to lift up," See Psalm 4:6.

JEHOVAH-M'KADDESH: "The Lord Who Sanctifies" Lev. 20:8. "To make whole, set apart for holiness."

JEHOVAH-SHALOM: "The Lord Our Peace" Judges 6:24. "Shalom" translated "peace" 170 times means "whole," "finished," "fulfilled," "perfected." Related to "well," welfare." Deut. 27:6; Dan. 5:26; I Kings 9:25 8:61; Gen. 15:16; Ex. 21:34, 22:5, 6; Lev. 7:11-21. Shalom means that kind of peace that results from being a whole person in right relationship to God and to one's fellow man.

SHEPHERD: Psa. 23, 79:13, 95:7, 80:1, 100:3; Gen. 49:24; Isa. 40:11.

JUDGE: Psa. 7:8, 96:13.

JEHOVAH ELOHIM: "LORD God" Gen. 2:4; Judges 5:3; Isa. 17:6; Zeph. 2:9; Psa. 59:5, etc.

JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU "The Lord Our Righteousness" Jer. 23:5, 6, 33:16. From "tsidek" (straight, stiff, balanced - as on scales - full weight, justice, right, righteous, declared innocent.) God our Righteousness.

JEHOVAH-ROHI: "The Lord Our Shepherd" Psa. 23, from "ro'eh" (to pasture).

JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH: "The Lord is There" (Ezek. 48:35).

JEHOVAH-SABAOTH: "The Lord of Hosts" The commander of the angelic host and the armies of God. Isa. 1:24; Psa. 46:7, 11; 2 Kings 3:9-12; Jer. 11:20 (NT: Rom. 9:29; James 5:4, Rev. 19: 11-16).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EL ELYON: 'Most High" (from "to go up") Deut. 26:19, 32:8; Psa. 18:13; Gen. 14:18; Nu. 24:16; Psa. 78:35, 7:17, 18:13, 97:9, 56:2, 78:56, 18:13; Dan. 7:25, 27; Isa. 14:14.

ABHIR: 'Mighty One', ("to be strong") Gen. 49:24; Deut. 10:17; Psa. 132:2, 5; Isa. 1:24, 49:26, 60:1.

BRANCH: (tsemach), The Branch: Zech. 3:8, 6:12; Isa. 4:2; Jer. 23:5, 33:15.

KADOSH: "Holy One" Psa. 71:22; Isa. 40:25, 43:3, 48:17. Isaiah uses the expression "the Holy One of Israel" 29 times.

SHAPHAT: "Judge" Gen. 18:25

EL ROI: "God of Seeing" Hagar in Gen. 16:13. The God Who opens our eyes.

KANNA: "Jealous" (zealous). Ex. 20:5, 34:14; Deut. 5:9; Isa. 9:7; Zech. 1:14, 8:2.

PALET: "Deliverer" Psa. 18:2.

YESHUA: (Yeshua) "Savior" ("he will save"). Isa. 43:3. Jesus is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew "Joshua." The latter is a contraction of Je-Hoshua. ("Christ", the anointed one is equivalent to the Hebrew Maschiah, or Messiah). [see Wikipedia article].

GAOL: "Redeemer" (to buy back by paying a price). Job 19:25; For example, the antitype corresponding to Boaz the Kinsman-Redeemer in the Book of Ruth.

MAGEN: "Shield" Psa. 3:3, 18:30.

STONE: Gen. 49:24

EYALUTH: "Strength" Psa. 22:19.

TSADDIQ: "Righteous One" Psa. 7:9.

EL-OLAM: "Everlasting God" (God of everlasting time) Gen. 21:33; Psa. 90:1-3, 93:2; Isa. 26:4.

EL-BERITH: "God of the Covenant" Used of Baal in Judges 9:46. Probably used originally to refer to the God of israel.

EL-GIBHOR: Mighty God (Isa. 9:6)

ZUR: "God our Rock" Deut. 32:18; Isa. 30:29.

http://ldolphin.org/Names.html

Here's another site:
http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=220

(2) Yahweh (YHWH): Comes from a verb which means ?to exist, be.? This, plus its usage, shows that this name stresses God as the independent and self-existent God of revelation and redemption (Gen. 4:3; Ex. 6:3 (cf. 3:14); 3:12).

Compounds of Yahweh: Strictly speaking, these compounds are designations or titles which reveal additional facts about God?s character.

Yahweh Jireh (Yireh): ?The Lord will provide.? Stresses God?s provision for His people (Gen. 22:14).
Yahweh Nissi: ?The Lord is my Banner.? Stresses that God is our rallying point and our means of victory; the one who fights for His people (Ex. 17:15).
Yahweh Shalom: ?The Lord is Peace.? Points to the Lord as the means of our peace and rest (Jud. 6:24).
Yahweh Sabbaoth: ?The Lord of Hosts.? A military figure portraying the Lord as the commander of the armies of heaven (1 Sam. 1:3; 17:45).
Yahweh Maccaddeshcem: ?The Lord your Sanctifier.? Portrays the Lord as our means of sanctification or as the one who sets believers apart for His purposes (Ex. 31:13).
Yahweh Ro?i: ?The Lord my Shepherd.? Portrays the Lord as the Shepherd who cares for His people as a shepherd cares for the sheep of his pasture (Ps. 23:1).
Yahweh Tsidkenu: ?The Lord our Righteousness.? Portrays the Lord as the means of our righteousness (Jer. 23:6).
Yahweh Shammah: ?The Lord is there.? Portrays the Lord?s personal presence in the millennial kingdom (Ezek. 48:35).
Yahweh Elohim Israel: ?The Lord, the God of Israel.? Identifies Yahweh as the God of Israel in contrast to the false gods of the nations (Jud. 5:3.; Isa. 17:6).

• Members

thanks for the feeding, it really helps

i am living here in muslim country and i have jewish neighbour and they call Lord God as Yahweh because that is the name given in the Bible. and if you will think it deeply, they have their point, the old testament is their torah and tannakh. what is written in their Bible should match to our old testament and in this case we should call Lord God, Yahweh.

please help me

your least of brethren

• Members

Check out the entry on Yahweh on Wikipedia.

You'll find that there has always been a bit of controversy over using the term Yahweh to refer to Jehovah. It has been said to be an improper use of the term. That's what I was told by a man who is a Christian living in Israel, but I'm not convinced one way or the other about it.

It literally means "the name." In particular, it was originally used as a way to refer to God without calling out his name in vanity.

It is also a shortened version of Jehovah -> Yehovah -> Yehowah -> YHVH -> Yahweh (with enunciation/transliterated).

• Members

Actually, Yahweh is NOT God's name in the OT - it is Jehovah. Yahweh is a name created by higher critics about 200 years ago. It was their attempt in using a corrupted text with no vowels to fill in the vowels on their own. ALL the other OT names with the same root word all have JEHO at the start of them, not YAH. Ie. Jehoshaphat, Jehoiakim, Jehoshua, etc. None of them say, Yahoshaphat, Yahoiakim, Yahoshua, etc.

• Members
Actually' date=' Yahweh is NOT God's name in the OT - it is Jehovah. Yahweh is a name created by higher critics about 200 years ago. It was their attempt in using a corrupted text with no vowels to fill in the vowels on their own. ALL the other OT names with the same root word all have JEHO at the start of them, not YAH. Ie. Jehoshaphat, Jehoiakim, Jehoshua, etc. None of them say, Yahoshaphat, Yahoiakim, Yahoshua, etc.[/quote']

That must be the controversy the guy in Israel was talking about.

Guest Guest

I will tell you one thing that has bothered me about the word "Yahweh" and caused me never to use it. Several people I have talked to who were under great spiritual opression(read demon possesed), seemed to always want to use "Yahwah" even though they weren't jewish or anything like that. They wouldn't say God, Jehovah, or Jesus Christ for anything. Always "Yahweh". That was a red flag to me. I suspected there was something wrong with it. I actually hadn't heard what Jerry and speerjp1 said before now but it makes perfect sense. Something fishy was going on and I knew it, I just couldn't put my finger on it.

• Members

"Yahweh" is also a favored term by many popular, "mainline evangelicals."

I never heard it used until I was older and was ignorant of anything controversial regarding it until just a couple of years ago. Around here, I still never hear it used, but I do hear it from nationally known radio preachers and televangelists (in passing :duh ).

I think it would be a good thing for everyone to be better informed about so can you provide some more information or links, Jerry?

We need to know more about anything that keeps confusion away. :thumb

• Members

[offtopic]

It's also a favored name by many white supremacist groups who fancy themselves Christians...promoting the idea that anyone who uses any other is not addressing God properly.

:lol:
And, to think, I live in the South (where such groups are supposedly the norm) and never experienced the effects of its local proliferation. [/offtopic]

• Administrators

[offtopic]

:lol:
And, to think, I live in the South (where such groups are supposedly the norm) and never experienced the effects of its local proliferation. [/offtopic]

Fortunate for you!!! :Green There is one near us (in the Chicago area) that had a member go on a rampage several years ago, killing several non-white people (asian, black, and I think an hispanic).

• Members

Jehovah is a transliteration of the spelling of the name of God. Yahweh is a mispronunciation of that name (since there is no "w" in Hebrew) The actual pronunciation is Yah-Veh. For some strange reason, in both Jewish and Christians circles, people decided God's name was too holy to pronounce. Jews would write A-----, and say "Adonai" (or "Adonoi"). In the KJ, it is written LORD, in all caps. Which is distinguishable from Lord (only first letter being capiltalized) which meant the Hebrew word used was Adonai.

God is God, there are no others, yet people invented other gods because while they wanted to believe in something more powerful, they didn't want to follow the moral dictates of God. So by the time of Moses there were many false gods. People wanted to know God's name, because they were used to the idea of people having names. But God is the only God, and therefore didn't need a name. So he told Moses, "I am what I am. So tell them 'I am' sent you." To me it's a funny joke made at the expense of the silliness of the Hebrew people, who failed to grasp God's uniqueness. Arguing about how it's pronounced seems equally silly.