• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members
Actually' date=' Yahweh is NOT God's name in the OT - it is Jehovah. Yahweh is a name created by higher critics about 200 years ago. It was their attempt in using a corrupted text with no vowels to fill in the vowels on their own. ALL the other OT names with the same root word all have JEHO at the start of them, not YAH. Ie. Jehoshaphat, Jehoiakim, Jehoshua, etc. None of them say, Yahoshaphat, Yahoiakim, Yahoshua, etc.[/quote']

No, the old testament was written without vowels. Nobody took them out the language did not use them. The earliest use I am aware of was Moses Ben Aaron Ben Asher who made evolved advances in the Hebrew language. Hebrew does not use vowels, so how can you take them out? Every bible was taken from a bible that had no vowels. Now something like the Septuagint (the 70) would have vowels back then because it was translated into Greek, and by the time of the early church translations like that was more widely accepted 2000 years ago.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think Jerry was referring to the diacritics. His point was that they added whatever vowels they pleased. By they I'm mostly referring to Kittel (the German anti-semite). He believed that the Jew's God was the "storm god" named Yahweh that was worshipped by the surrounding heathen. The Ben Hayim, not the Ben Asher text, would be the text of the KJV.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~theseeker/Yahweh.htm

• Members

Ben Hayim was about 14th or 15 th century, so the texts there were modern interpretations. Rudolf Kittel was even more modern he was like the 20th century, so any texts he is attributed to I put little stock into. The Tanakh with the Torah, Nevium, and Ketuvim would have been without vowels. Ben Asher was the one who kind of ironed out and defined a vowel system and that was circa 10th century. All other vowel usages kind of fell into place after Ben Asher. Ben Hayim would be using the systems set in place by Ben Asher. Still to this day little Hebrew uses these "dots and tiddles" Hebrew is kind of a hobby of mine so when you read any modern Hebrew via computer even you are not shown any vowels. I notice the largest usage of vowels around biblical Hebrew almost as an attempt to avoid misinterpretation. That being said, much of the Old Testament or at least the Pentateuch or the Torah seems to be originally derived from oral tradition leading back to at least three sources all seem to project certain qualities and values in the scripture. Most notably in the Pentateuch is a Priestly source that seems to stick with the laws of the Jews.

It was when Moses saw the burning bush when G-d introduced himself as YHWH. This was how He referred to Himself. Happy Christian pointed that out earlier.

• Members

PJC,

You do realize that Rudolf Kittel was an anti-semite and his theologian son was a Nazi who was charged with war crimes. R. Kittel was the one mostly responsible for the popularity of "Yahweh" by his footnotes to the Ben Asher text in his Biblia Hebraica.

Kittel believed that YAHWEH was the "storm god" of the Phoenicians, Hitties, Canaanites, etc. and that the Hebrews recruited him/her as their god. He did this to mock the Jews. Reprobate German rationalists and biblical critics of the 19th century have probably caused the church to go off into apostasy more than any other cause.

Here's an interesting article for you to read.

http://jesus-messiah.com/studies/yahweh-full-copy.html

Bil

• Members

YHWH is a transliteration of ???? which is Yod he vAV he, essentially. It is used throughout the Old Testament. It was ???? before the birth of Christ. And it was before 1611. YHWH is used in Jewish to English translations often. The irony is that W has no equivalency in Hebrew prior to Modern Hebrew which is a double vav, that did not occur . So If we want to bring the word from the Old Testament perhaps a better translation would be YHVH. It is often translated to English with words like Jehovah, LORD, or God. it is first seen in ?????? Genesis 3:14. Vowel placement alters throughout texts. In ?????? Genesis 3:14 the vAV has a Quames under it for the Vowel which would sound roughly like "vah". When I learned Hebrew it was taught as YHWH. I took the spelling from my Biblia Hebrica Stuttgartensia.

• Members
I took the spelling from my Biblia Hebrica Stuttgartensia.

Yes, this is a revision of the work of Rudolf Kittel. He intentionally perverted this word (YHVH) to line up the "Hebrew God" with the known pagan god from the same region that was called Yahweh. Kittel was anti-semitic.