• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Brother Stafford

Good Old Christian Films

I just finished watching one of my favorite films: The 1961 film "Barabbas" with Anthony Quinn, Silvana Mangano, Ernest Borgnine, and Jack Palance.  I've watched it since I was a kid and have loved it as a non Christian and as a Christian.  If you haven't seen it, it's a completely fictionalized account of Barabbas' life after being released from prison.  After all these years, the concept and the story continues to captivate me.  I highly recommend it.

Another one of my favorites is a 1950 film called "Stars in My Crown" with Joel McCrea, Ellen Drew, James Mitchell and Dean Stockwell.  It's set just after the Civil War.  A preacher goes into a town, decides to start preaching his first sermon in the saloon and becomes the town preacher.  There's a certain kind of feel-good familiarity to it, sort of like "To Kill a Mockingbird".  It's a great old film to watch and the book is even better.  I recommend both the film and the little paperback book it was based upon.

There is a film from 1962 called "Gigot" that stars Jackie Gleason, was written by Jackie Gleason, Gleason wrote the musical score and was directed by Gene Kelly. It also stars a little six year old girl named Diane Gardner who plays Nicole.  Gigot is poor and mute and befriends Nicole after offering hospitality to her and her mother Colette.  Anyway, there is an incredibly touching scene where Nicole wanders into a Catholic church.  She asks Gigot questions about the place and he struggles to explain things to her because he is mute.  Even though it's a Catholic scene, it's very moving.  Watch the scene right here.  It's another favorite from my childhood, although I wouldn't call it a Christian based film outside of that scene.

Does anyone else have any old Christian based favorites they would recommend?

Edited by Brother Stafford

I like "Stars in My Crown" very much too.  How about "Sergeant York" with Gary Cooper?  Least biblical but very funny is "Life with Father".  There's been a few other movies I enjoyed along the theme of the first you mentioned but cannot remember their names.  They all suffer from being biblically inaccurate so we have to be vigilant.  The majority of the movies I watch nowadays were made before the 1960s.  As wretched as some of those actors and actresses were in their personal lives, they still dressed more modestly than today and at least had a reverence and fear of God.  I really enjoy watching John Ford movies, especially with John Wayne.