• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Church Politicians

• Members

I read an article this morning regarding the loss of church membership(s) throughout South Carolina.  Of all the reasons listed I couldn't help but notice the absence of Church Politicians as being a cause.  We all know they are on sight, right?  The ones with the deep pockets; the ring knockers; the clique, those of which their great, great grandpa laid the cornerstone back in 1942 and through association believe they alone own the church building.

I've been in churches up and down the East Coast since 1972 and have found that almost ALL of them to be eating themselves into oblivion because of such antics.  Believe me when I say I could tell you some stories.  Things were so bad in one church we attended that folks started to die the result of 'freak accidents'.  Such negatively impacts on everyone trying to be as they should be in Christ.  

Why is it that preachers don't take to the podium and denounce such?  Are they afraid of losing their job?  If things are that bad perhaps the preacher should leave.  

• Members

I've only been a member of two churches; the first didn't have a "politician" but had a rich businessman with his own little power clique. One Sunday night they called out the pastor during a service, speaking very harshly, and I was shocked that they would do such a thing, even for them. They did the same thing to the next pastor during a business meeting. One later died of cancer and the other was run off by the next pastor. I hate to say it, but I was not sorry to see him go. He had a know-it-all, controlling and bitter spirit. But I have also known a couple of pastors with the same spirit as well.

As to politicians, the church I am a member of now has a tax collector member and he doesn't assert any power or cause any trouble at all. I don't know of anyone there who does.

• Members

A 'businessman with his own little power clique' is a Church Politician!  A local church belongs to the Lord..., end of subject!  The last church I belonged to caused me to see an evil presence manifest itself through a man and believe me.  No horns; no pitchfork; no spiked tail..., just an evil presence!  For sure it unnerved me and as I got up to leave a peace came over me.  I certainly don't care to witness that anytime soon.   

Edited by HA Melton

• Administrators

This sort of topic is one that makes me glad that  have only been a member of two Baptist Churches in my Christian life. I would hate to have to deal with situations such as has been outlined here.

In my present church here in northern California there is one man that is a very financially successful and well off businessman . Fortunately this man is not of the kind that has been exemplified here. He uses his wealth for the good of the church as a whole, is very generous and never ever uses his resources as a tool to control.

• Members

My son's Russian father-in-law has been visiting here for the last month and was at our church last night. He says that our church was much different from what he has been used to over there. He says whereas, there, churches are ritualistic, solemn, serious and strict, our church is "like family". You can't have much real "liberty" of the Lord in a dead religion and neither can you have it with "controlling" people in charge.