• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Local Church.

• Members
10 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

1.How do we know the Judiazers were members of the church at Jerusalem? I don't recall reading that.

The answer to this question is found by seeing the contextual relationship between Acts 15:1-2 & Acts 15:14.

Acts 15:1-2 -- "And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.  When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this questions."

Acts 15:24 -- "Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment . . . "

Now some thought questions:

1.  Were these "certain men" preaching and teaching a false gospel?
2.  If they were, should they have been disciplined from the church and marked as false teachers?
3.  Was it Biblically righteous for Paul and Barnabas to engage so strongly in dissension and disputation with them?
4.  Why was there so much disputing among the apostles and elders of the Jerusalem church over this matter? (See Acts 15:6-7)

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle
spelling

• Members

(1) I clicked onto your Acts 15.doc

(2) I pasted it onto a file document on my computer, Linux 18.3, LibreOffice, then saved it in my computer under your name in my document files.

(3) After it was saved, I noticed that Barnabas was spelled wrong so I changed it.

(4) I changed the formatting in LibreOffice.

(5) I then upload it onto OnLineBaptist. I did have to do a little more formatting as LibreOffice is a different format from Microsoft Office.

• Members
2 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

I have a couple questions.

1.How do we know the Judiazers were members of the church at Jerusalem? I don't recall reading that.

Verse 1 "certain men which came down from Judæa" and verse 24 "certain which went out from us have troubled you with words,"

2. How do we know James was the Pastor of the church at Jerusalem? I also don't recall reading that but I do recall hearing a few preachers say it.

James is the pastor because he is the one passing the final sentence about what the church will do. As seen in verse 19 "Wherefore my sentence is," and then in the letter his sentence is actually the church's will as seen in verse 25 "it seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord,". Additionally when Paul returns to Jerusalem he is always being instructed by James as in Acts 21:15-26

1 hour ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Now some thought questions:

1.  Were these "certain men" preaching and teaching a false gospel?

Yes, the certain were but the Believing Pharisees were not. The first said salvation could only come by circumcision of Moses, meaning they had to join the covenant of Israel before salvation of Christ could be available to them. The Jerusalem Church said these certain men were "subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law:". Whither they were lost themselves or doing it on purpose does not matter. They could have simply been well intention but wrong. The believing Pharisees put salvation of the Gentiles first but that after salvation it would be "needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses" probably as part of being in fellowship with the church. The first said salvation is available only for those in the covenant of Israel and the second basically said it was required for church membership as the church was like a spiritual Israel. The great disputing in Jerusalem was not about the certain men but rather the latter argument of the believing Pharisees.

2.  If they were, should they have been disciplined from the church and marked as false teachers?

They went out but probably not in official capacity as they were given "no suchcommandment:" and they were called certain men, probably because no one really knew them but that they just showed up and said they were from Jerusalem.Basically church hoping and teaching it as if it was what they were teaching in Jerusalem. Its kind of like when visitors show up and after a few Sundays start arguing doctrine and latter you check with their old pastor and he doesn't know who they are but tells you that they don't teach what they are arguing.

3.  Was it Biblically righteous for Paul and Barnabas to engage so strongly in dissension and disputation with them?

Yes. Because they were "subverting souls." and contradicting their doctrine of Faith in Chrsit alone. Whither intentionally or not, that is more than just having an opinion on secondary matters.

4.  Why was there so much disputing among the apostles and elders of the Jerusalem church over this matter? (See Acts 15:6-7)

They were disputing the "after salvation" aspect of the Gentiles in relation to fellowship with the church of Christ and Israel. Not the certain men's before salvation argument. Peter basically shows both Jew and Gentile is purified by Faith, so purification by the law of Israel does not apply to salvation and James makes clear by quoting Amos 9 that Believing Gentiles are not part of Israel like the Jewish Christians are but are still part of the church and therefor do not need to Join Israel for membership in the churches. They then requested they follow four things so that both Jew and Gentile could have fellowship in the same local church.

1 hour ago, Alan said:

John Young, If you would like to upload your study on Acts 15 please do so as you feel led. There is so much in Acts 15 that I basically just touched in passing on the local church anatomy. Brother Jim's submission pretty much covered the local church aspects of my notes. The only exception I would take with the notes would be calling the "Pharisees which believed" unsaved pretenders. While a case could be made for the certain in verse one, I believe this is an unfair accusation of devout believing Jews. As we see in Acts 21 the keeping of the law was still a concern to James and the Jerusalem Church and still part of the Jewish covenant and Paul still kept it unto God as part of that covenant. The "Pharisees which believed" were actually just confused with the differences between the two covenants God had with Israel and the church. They were not unsaved nor did they reject the salvation of the Gentiles as this is made very clear in: Acts 21:17-26 17 And when we were come to Jerusalem, the brethren received us gladly. 18 And the day following Paul went in with us unto James; and all the elders were present. 19 And when he had saluted them, he declared particularly what things God had wrought among the Gentiles by his ministry. 20 And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law: 21 and they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise theirchildren, neither to walk after the customs. 22 What is it therefore? the multitude must needs come together: for they will hear that thou art come. 23 Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them; 24 them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law. 25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication. 26 Then Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them.

However, I digress as I can see how this can divert the primary aspect of the study here from the local church to one of church and the state of Israel of which my focus was on in my sermons on the chapter.

• Members

I need to correct myself and say that the "request" are later called decrees they were to keep" in Acts 16:4 And as they went through the cities, they delivered them the decrees for to keep, that were ordained of the apostles and elders which were at Jerusalem. 5 And so were the churches established in the faith, and increased in number daily. Though this may refer to the letter of Acts 15, may it also be the other epistles of James, Peter, and Jude as well? I'm still of mind that the four request were not the decrees but the resolved doctrine to be taught was the decrees as the doctrine was important but in references to the four request Paul noted that 1 Corinthians 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not. and Romans 14:21-22 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak. 22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. Showing the four request were request and not decrees but rather the decrees were Salvation, Church, And Israel, doctrines that were resolved.

• Members

John,

Thank you for your lengthly, and detailed, exposition of Acts 15 and your notes on Acts 21:17-26, 1 Corinthians 10:23, and Romans 14:21&22.

I also think it is noteworthy on the notes concerning James being the pastor of the church.

Alan

• Members
8 hours ago, Alan said:

Ver.3-5 Notice in Ver.3 Paul and Barnabas are brought on their way by the church. This speaks volumes regarding church authority; these men did not go up to Jerusalem on their own, the church sent them. This is also not a question of one church having any authority over another. Each New Testament church is autonomous. This is solely a matter of fellowship between churches and their members.

Jim,

Thank you for bringing out the biblical fact a true New Testament Church is autonomous.  

Alan

Edited by Alan
spelling

• Members

Acts 15:1-32, “The Jerusalem Meeting”

Verse 1 & 2

The Apostle Paul and Barnabas were at their home church, the local Church at Antioch, Acts 14:26-28, giving their report of their first missionary journey to the Gentiles. While at Antioch, certain men had come from Judea and taught the brethren that a person must be circumcised according to the Law of Moses in order to be saved.

The Apostle Paul and Barnabas disputed with these teachers and their false teaching. The brethren at Antioch decided to send Barnabas and Paul to Jerusalem and confer with the other apostles and elders concerning this doctrinal matter.

Verse 3 “… And being brought on their way by the church ...”

As they traveled to Jerusalem other churches, on their own volition, and without any orders to do so, had Paul and Barnabas give their testimony concerning the conversion of the Gentiles. The churches decided on their own free will to take care of the needs of the missionaries as they traveled. There was no church hierarchy, nor church council, nor denominational headquarters, involved in any of the decisions to help Paul and Barnabas.

Verse 4 “… they were received of the church ...”

Once the apostle Paul and Barnabas arrived at Jerusalem they were warmly received by the church. In all of the travels by Paul in this passage of scripture, and in the complete New Testament writings, there are individual church making decisions by their own volition. There is no “universal church,” “church hierarchy,” denominational headquarters, nor “bishops” giving churches directions in any matter.

Please take careful note concerning the word “bishop” in the scriptures and in church history. In Titus 1:5-7 the word “bishop,” and word “elders” describe the same office, the office of the pastor, interchangeably. “For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee: If any be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre.” Titus 1:5-7

The Apostle Paul also uses the word for the office of the pastor of a local church “bishop” in 1 Timothy 3:1 & 2.

The New Testament office of the bishop of the church is for an individual church. The usage of the word “bishop” by the denominational churches to mean the individual overseeing numerous churches is not scriptural.

Verse 5-12

The issue of whether or not the Gentiles should be circumcised in order to be saved is discussed and resolved.

Verse 13-21 “… James answered ...”

“And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.” Galatians 2:9

“And when we were come to Jerusalem, the brethren received us gladly. And the day following Paul went in with us unto James; and all the elders were present.” Acts 21:17 & 18

Throughout the book of Acts, James is the leader of the assembly at Jerusalem. James is the spokes man for the assembly at Jerusalem and quotes Amos 9:10 & 11 to prove that the Gentiles are saved without the need of circumcision nor keeping the Law.

Throughout the history of the true New Testament churches, and even in our era, the pastor is the spokesman for any assembly in his own church. The Apostle Paul, and the other apostles and elders, accepted his position as spokesman of the assembly.

Verse 22-29 “… with the whole church ...”

The churches involved in the discussion are all pleased with the results of the decision. There is no mention of the “universal church” nor is there a hint of a “universal church” involved.

The Apostle Paul, the other apostles, Barnabas, and the elders of the other churches are pleased. The result of the meeting was written down and delivered to other individual churches by Judas and Silas.

Verse 30-32 “So when they were dismissed, they came to Antioch: ...”

All of the churches involved were completely autonomous and local in scope and authority. The decree from the meeting in Jerusalem was accepted by the church at Antioch with no coercion involved. The church at Antioch could either accept the results of the meeting or reject the results of the meeting.

Edited by Alan
formatting grammer

• Members

Acts 14:19-23, “The Work of the Missionary”

The Apostle Paul is the Apostle to the Gentiles. The Apostle Paul is the pattern for the church in the area of missions.

In Paul’s first missionary journey we see how he preached the gospel, taught the disciples, confirmed them in the faith, ordained elders, or pastors, in every church that he started.

Throughout the journeys of Paul the Apostle, and in the Epistles that the Holy Spirit directed him to write, Paul never established a denomination, a church hierarchy apart from, or outside, the local church, a “council of churches,” nor a “universal” church. The Apostle Paul followed the command of the Lord Jesus as read in the Great Commission, Matthew 28:1-20, and as he was further instructed in his earthly ministry by the Lord Jesus.

The Apostle Paul, and the other Apostles, are part of the foundation of the church: “And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ being the chief cornerstone.” Ephesians 2:20 It is the responsibility for every church to follow the footsteps of the Apostles. Those churches who deviate from the example of Paul the Apostle are not in full accord with his teachings and example.

Acts 14:19-23, “And there came thither certain Jews from Antioch and Iconium, who persuaded the people, and, having stoned Paul, drew him out of the city, supposing he had been dead. Howbeit, as the disciples stood round about him, he rose up, and came into the city: and the next day he departed with Barnabas to Derbe. And when they preached had preached the gospel to that city, and had taught many, they returned again to Lystra, and to Iconium, and Antioch, Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the Kingdom of God. And when they had ordained them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed.”

The work of Paul the Apostle as the missionary to the Gentiles is self-explanatory. After being stoned (I believe unto death), Paul rose up and the next day he went to Derbe and preached the gospel. As he preached some folks believed in Jesus Christ as their Saviour. The Apostle Paul, Barnabas, and the other men in his company, taught the disciples.

They returned to cities of Lystra, Iconium, and Antioch and preached the gospel and taught the disciples.

In each individual city Paul then confirmed the disciples. The confirmation process included teaching them all of the doctrines revealed to Paul up to that time. And, before he left, “… they had ordained them elders in every church ...” According to the scriptures, the elders were pastors of individual, autonomous, independent, churches in the various cities. There is no “universal church,” denomination,” or any other church hierarchy. After Paul left the pastors were the visible head of the local assembly of disciples.

The work of a true New Testament missionary has not changed. The work of the missionary is to start local, autonomous, independent, churches of the country that God has called him too.

Edited by Alan
deleted an incomplete sentence

• Members

Acts 13:1-3, “The Church at Antioch.”

“Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrach, and Saul. As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.” Acts 13:1-3

“Now there were in the church that was at Antioch ...” The church at Antioch was a separate assembly of believers than the church at Jerusalem. The church at Antioch was autonomous and independent of any other church.

“… the Holy Ghost said ...” The Holy Ghost spoke to the church at Antioch audibly. The Holy Ghost did not use an intermediary of any kind. There was no bishop telling the church anything, there was no denomination headquarters, or church hierarchy, in the process at all. There was no universal church mentioned or implied.

“… Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.” The Holy Ghost clearly called Barnabas and Saul (later on called Paul), for the “work.” The “work” was to preach the gospel to the Gentiles, teach them, confirm them into the faith, start a church, and ordain pastors in each church to take over when they left; please see Acts 14:19-23

“And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.” The local church at Antioch obeyed the Holy Ghost. After prayer and the laying of hands on Barnabas and Paul they sent them away. There was no denominational headquarters, or another church, or a bishop, or other church hierarchy involved in the process.

The”work” is to start new independent, Bible believing, doctrinally correct, soul-winning, autonomous churches that are indigenous. Nowhere in the New Testament was a universal church, a denomination, a church hierarchy, started by the Apostle Paul or any other Apostle.

• Members

Acts 14:26-28, The Gathering of the Church”

“And thence sailed to Antioch, from whence they had been  recommended to the grace of God for the work which they had fulfilled. And when they were come, and had gathered the church together, they rehearsed all that God had done with them, and how he had opened the door of faith unto the Gentiles. And there they abode long time with the disciples.” Acts 14:26-28

“… from whence they had they had been  recommended to the grace of God

The church at Antioch was the home church of the Apostle Paul and Barnabas. The so-called “universal church,” or a recommendation from all of the other churches, or a denomination, or a church hierarchy, did not recommend  Paul and Barnabas for the work of missionary evangelism that they fulfilled.  The local church is the only authority for sending out missionaries for the work of evangelism in the world.

“… for the work which they had fulfilled.”

The work that the Apostle Paul and Barnabas fulfilled is clearly written in Acts 13:4 to 14:25. The Apostle Paul and  Barnabas left the area of the church traveled  to different Gentile cities, preached the gospel, had converts to Christ, taught the disciples, confirmed that the disciples believed the correct doctrines of the scriptures, ordained men to pastor  the different churches, and established indigenous churches. Not one time did Paul and Barnabas establish a church hierarchy of any sort, including a “universal church,” or establish a bishop or other church hierarchal organization to control the individual churches.

All church denominations, bishops controlling several churches, and the concept of a universal church, are man-made organizations.

“… and had gathered the church together …”

Even though there were other churches already  in the area, only the brethren at the church at Antioch were assembled together to listen to the report of Paul and Barnabas. So, it is very obvious that only the local church in the area of Antioch assembled to hear the two missionaries.

The conclusion is obvious. If there was a “universal church” than the other churches in the area would be assembled all together. Therefore, there the meaning of “church” can only be meant to be local in the area. Any other meaning  is not possible.

“…they rehearsed all that God had done with them, and how he had opened the door of faith unto the Gentiles.”

The Apostle Paul and Barnabas established the practice of reporting to the church that sent them away. As other churches got involved with their ministry Paul and Barnabas reported  to them also by letter and or a visit. We have the local church at Philippi as an example. “Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction. Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only. For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity.” Philippians 4:14-16

The meaning of “communicate” in the context of Philippians 4:14-16 is clearly helping financially and not just verbally. The local church at Philippi made the decision to support the Apostle Paul with financial gifts to help him in his financial needs. This decision was made at the local church level and not by a denomination, a mission board, a para-church organization, of some bishop outside the local church.

It is also very obvious that a “universal church “ was non-existent in the process of helping the Apostle Paul and his financial necessities.

As with the Old Testament, the willingness by the hearers of the gospel, through the giving of their tithes and offerings, provided the financial necessities of God’s work.

1. Leviticus 1:3 and 2 Corinthians 8:9 and 9:7

2. Leviticus 24:16 and  1 Corinthians 9:1-14

Edited by Alan
grammer Ephesus to Philippi deleted doubled word & added ministry

• Members

Acts 15:40, “The Authority of the Local Church”

“And Paul chose Silas, and departed, being recommended by the brethren unto the grace of God. ” Acts 15:40

After the local church at Antioch recommended that the Apostle Paul start a second missionary journey Paul chose Silas to go with him. The only church involved in the process of recommending Paul and Silas to journey as missionaries was the local church at Antioch. There were no other churches, or a universal church, or a denomination, or a bishop over the churches, or any church hierarchy, in the process of recommending the missionaries.

The Chief Shepherd of the Churches

“The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not sway.” 1 Peter 5:1-4

The Lord Jesus is the Chief Shepherd of the individual, local churches. The pastor is the under-Shepherd of the individual, local churches. The pastor is the visible head of the local church and the Lord Jesus is the invisible head of the local church. As in the individual family, the local church is only in subjection to Christ and is not to be in subjection to any man outside the local church. “For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.” Ephesians 5:24 As with the family, the husband is the head of the family and any other individual that attempts to be head of the family is the one that is causing disorder in the family.

An Example of Christ as Head of the Local Churches

The scriptures give us a clear illustration of the spiritual leadership of Christ as the invisible head, the Chief Shepherd, of the local churches. The Apostle John saw the Lord Jesus as the invisible head of the 7 churches in Asia. “I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, Saying, I am the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, what thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto  Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.” Revelation 1:9 & 10

As with the 7 churches in Asia, the Lord Jesus is the Chief Shepherd of the individual, local, New Testament churches. The pastor is the under-Shepherd of the Lord Jesus Christ and is the visible authority of the local church. As we see in the example of scripture, the only authority to send out missionaries resides in the local church. The pastor of an individual, or local, church is the final visible authority in sending out missionaries to the foreign field to preach the gospel.

Church Hierarchies

Ever since the start of the Roman Catholic Church denomination, the various denominations created a hierarchy in sending out missionaries to preach the gospel. Instead of the pastor being the final authority of the local church, a denominational headquarters becomes the final authority. 

The supplanting of the authority of the pastor of the local church as the under-Shepherd of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the leading of the Holy Spirit, is the objective of every denomination starting from the Roman Catholic Church to our day. 

Also, in these last days we are witness to the rise of, “The Ecumenical Movement,” as a method to supplant the authority of the pastor as the head of the local church and the Lord Jesus as the invisible head of the local church. In order to accomplish this corruption of the local church, the leaders of the denominations are banding together in “Church Councils” and using Acts 15:1-30 as a pretext.

The primary reason for the doctrine of “The Universal Church,” is the supplanting of the authority of the pastor of a local church and placing the authority of the local church to a denominational headquarters. All of the leaders of the denominational churches want to be “lords” over God's heritage.

In order to create a system that requires the pastor to be loyal to the leaders of the denomination, all of the denominations have a religious hierarchy, an organization, outside of the local church, that keeps the church in subjection to the denomination and not to the scriptures. The system uses the following methods:

1. A denominational school, or seminary, teaches the doctrines, practices, beliefs, traditions and ceremonies of the denomination. As the individual goes through the denominational school, he is also taught that only his denomination is correct and that those churches not in agreement with their doctrines are heretical. The school also creates an ill-feeling towards those churches who are outside of the authority of the denomination.

2. A denomination will create a system of professors and pastors who will spend the vast majority of their time writing books that promote their doctrinal beliefs. This includes the writing of “Church History” books that promote the denominations  history and belittle, twist, begrudge, slander, local church history and Baptist church history.

The man of God needs to realize that God only preserved the scriptures. God did not preserve a record of the true history of the church. All, may I repeat all, of the denominational “Church History” books are written by professors who are more loyal to the denomination than to the truth.

3. All of the denominations will eventually have a retirement program for the professors and pastors. If a pastor, or professor, forsakes the loyalty of the denomination than he forfeits his retirement. The retirement program makes the pastor, or professor, loyal to the denomination and not to the scriptures.

A retirement program is offered by most businesses in order to keep their workers loyal to the system. As with businesses, the denominations of the world are full of men who love “filthy lucre.” The  love of “filthy lucre” is the primary reason why men enter a denomination, remain loyal to a denomination, and err from the truth. “For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.” 1 Timothy 6:10

4. All of the denominations will have a system of bishops, or elders, or chain of command, over the pastor of the church.

Conclusion

The local church at Antioch recommended Paul the Apostle and Silas to proceed on a second missionary journey and not some, “universal church,” denomination, a bishop that is over more than one church, or other church hierarchy. A true New Testament church will follow the example of the church at Antioch.

Edited by Alan
deleted a phrase grammar